Dutasteride ruining safe zones/speeding up diffuse thinning. (RH?)

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on changing finasteride dosage? I just gotta find A way to lower T a bit. Not only for hairloss but the seb derm.
Isn't there another way you can treat seb derm without touching your hormones any further? What did the dermatologist say?

zeldazoo22

My Regimen
Reaction score
Isn't there another way you can treat seb derm without touching your hormones any further? What did the dermatologist say?
Yea with creams but it’s still tough. I wonder if I were to stop finasteride and just use dutasteride if it would affect my T differently? One would think in a worse way

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yea with creams but it’s still tough. I wonder if I were to stop finasteride and just use dutasteride if it would affect my T differently? One would think in a worse way
Your T will be higher if you use dutasteride over finasteride. Less DHT = more T not converted.

What creams did she recommend? I have a hard time believing she didnt offer you topical antibiotics.

CharlesNohair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dutasteride seems to be better to treat seb derm because it blocks 5 alfa reductase type I and II. You should use nizoral.

CharlesNohair

My Regimen
Reaction score
7 month in seems too long also. I’ve been getting constant hair falling out in shower for a year and finally my whole head you can see through to the scalp. So I switched to dutasteride and it’s accelerated it. I don’t have the balls to keep it moving. Going to hope my Oral minoxidil kicks in and helps out. Maybe I’ll add topical spironolactone for back up, as long as it rarely causes gyno.
I will wait a whole year then I'll move to RU. A lot of people claims to be more sensitive to T than DHT so RU should be effective.

Moosey

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
too much yadda yadda in this thread. Dutasteride wont make you shed in 3 weeks and even if it does, it wont shed enough in 3 weeks to make you lose density.
I shedded hair on dutasteride for 5 months straight before i saw regrowth. I barely saw a difference in my density in those 5 months despite the brutal sheds.

You are shedding from the oral minoxidil you troglodyte.

zeldazoo22

My Regimen
Reaction score
too much yadda yadda in this thread. Dutasteride wont make you shed in 3 weeks and even if it does, it wont shed enough in 3 weeks to make you lose density.
I shedded hair on dutasteride for 5 months straight before i saw regrowth. I barely saw a difference in my density in those 5 months despite the brutal sheds.

You are shedding from the oral minoxidil you troglodyte.
And it’s worked for you? Dutasteride scares me a bit so I’m just sticking with the oral min and adding creams. Glad to hear it’s the oral min.

Moosey

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
And it’s worked for you? Dutasteride scares me a bit so I’m just sticking with the oral min and adding creams. Glad to hear it’s the oral min.
Yes it worked for me. Like i said, i shedded for like 5 months straight before i got regrowth. But that regrowth was very good.
Of course its the minoxidil man. Nothing on this earth can shed as much as hair as minoxidil can. And after 3 weeks its just the beginning. This will get worse and worse. Im talking 400+ hairs daily.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes it worked for me. Like i said, i shedded for like 5 months straight before i got regrowth. But that regrowth was very good.
Of course its the minoxidil man. Nothing on this earth can shed as much as hair as minoxidil can. And after 3 weeks its just the beginning. This will get worse and worse. Im talking 400+ hairs daily.

Try taking an AI like letrozole, minoxidil shed is a walk in the park compared to that.

zeldazoo22

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you against min?

Fontaine

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I shed a godly number of hairs for 4-5 days after 4 weeks topical minoxidil and now hardly any is falling.

Moosey

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you against min?
Against it would be the wrong word. I dislike it and i think too many people jump on it without a second thought. Minoxidil is a big, big commitment. And you can expect to have a brutal initial shed, and then 1-2 sheds a year because you synched like 10.000 of your hair cycles. This is a very common occurance among longtime minoxidil users. Also if you are unlucky like me, the shed can be so brutal it does more damage than good.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Against it would be the wrong word. I dislike it and i think too many people jump on it without a second thought. Minoxidil is a big, big commitment. And you can expect to have a brutal initial shed, and then 1-2 sheds a year because you synched like 10.000 of your hair cycles. This is a very common occurance among longtime minoxidil users. Also if you are unlucky like me, the shed can be so brutal it does more damage than good.
Yeah I'd have to agree. I started topical min like 1 year ago, and my hair now is much worse then 1 year ago. It's hard to imagine I got any benefit from min, but at the same time now I'm scared to quit incase it makes it even worse.

Worst part is my hair was basically fine 1 year ago (as in maintained a NW2 I could style), and I used min to be greedy. I'd say most people NW3+ shouldn't even bother with it.

Moosey

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I'd have to agree. I started topical min like 1 year ago, and my hair now is much worse then 1 year ago. It's hard to imagine I got any benefit from min, but at the same time now I'm scared to quit incase it makes it even worse.

Worst part is my hair was basically fine 1 year ago (as in maintained a NW2 I could style), and I used min to be greedy. I'd say most people NW3+ shouldn't even bother with it.
See, this is what i mean. Lots of people including myself had this experience. Minoxidil is what got my hair from a state where most people couldnt see any hairloss to barely being able to style it, in 3 months. I lost so many f*****g hairs on that stuff like i was on cancer therapy or something.
Minoxidil would be great if it didnt completely obliterate your hair before it performs its thing. If i was you, i would keep using it. You are 1 year in already, no point in quitting now. And have seen people who needed to take minoxidil for that long and even longer to see its results. Sounds stupid but theres a chance in another 6 months you'll actually reap the benefits and have more hair than your pre-minoxidil state. Gotta be patient and wait.

zeldazoo22

My Regimen
Reaction score
See, this is what i mean. Lots of people including myself had this experience. Minoxidil is what got my hair from a state where most people couldnt see any hairloss to barely being able to style it, in 3 months. I lost so many f*****g hairs on that stuff like i was on cancer therapy or something.
Minoxidil would be great if it didnt completely obliterate your hair before it performs its thing. If i was you, i would keep using it. You are 1 year in already, no point in quitting now. And have seen people who needed to take minoxidil for that long and even longer to see its results. Sounds stupid but theres a chance in another 6 months you'll actually reap the benefits and have more hair than your pre-minoxidil state. Gotta be patient and wait.
Can't tell if this shed is the minoxidil or the testosterone boost from the dutasteride that I started and then stopped 3 weeks later (got spooked). My hair basically visually dead with thin, wispy hairs in all different directions, and feels and looks way less dense. Need to start adding some topicals.

Moosey

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can't tell if this shed is the minoxidil or the testosterone boost from the dutasteride that I started and then stopped 3 weeks later (got spooked). My hair basically visually dead with thin, wispy hairs in all different directions, and feels and looks way less dense. Need to start adding some topicals.
I never understood this myth. A 15% increase in testosterone is a literal joke compared to a 100% reduction in DHT. 15% more or less testserone is nothing man. Its not going to make the difference between hairloss or no hairloss and its not going to make up for your entire DHT missing.
I shedded for 5 months straight when i was on dutasteride and my hair never got thin from it.

zeldazoo22

My Regimen
Reaction score
I never understood this myth. A 15% increase in testosterone is a literal joke compared to a 100% reduction in DHT. 15% more or less testserone is nothing man. Its not going to make the difference between hairloss or no hairloss and its not going to make up for your entire DHT missing.
I shedded for 5 months straight when i was on dutasteride and my hair never got thin from it.
Fair enough, but there is the theory that the androgen receptors could become more sensitized due to the complete suppression of DHT, making it soak in anything it can. Dr. Proctor theorizes that it speeds up hairloss, increases libido, and causes oily skin. All of those are symptoms of mine on finasteride, which eventually got worse 6 years in (especially the seb derm.) So, my theory is maybe the dutasteride increased my sensitivity even more, making my seb derm a bit worse, which it did, and speeding up the hairloss? Even if I'm wrong, I decided I'm not ready to suppress that much of a hormone in my body. I'd like to go the topical route. Thinking of adding Ru/topical spironolactone. Thoughts on this?

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Fair enough, but there is the theory that the androgen receptors could become more sensitized due to the complete suppression of DHT, making it soak in anything it can. Dr. Proctor theorizes that it speeds up hairloss, increases libido, and causes oily skin. All of those are symptoms of mine on finasteride, which eventually got worse 6 years in (especially the seb derm.) So, my theory is maybe the dutasteride increased my sensitivity even more, making my seb derm a bit worse, which it did, and speeding up the hairloss? Even if I'm wrong, I decided I'm not ready to suppress that much of a hormone in my body. I'd like to go the topical route. Thinking of adding Ru/topical spironolactone. Thoughts on this?
Why does everyone quote 1 doctor as if he is the all knowing being of RHA? Oh wait I know, it's because he's the ONLY doctor who has much to say about it at all. No medical literature or anything else has even noted it as a possible side.

Topical spironolactone does absolutely nothing, save your money. RU is a personal choice but I wouldn't touch it because of the unknown damage to the body. Look into Fluridil or CB.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
On follicles, sure. A 15% increase in T on the body is not insignificant though, and can easily account for the symptoms like increased oil secretion and increased libido.