Dutasteride/RU Experiment

greg711711

Reaction score
Early 20s, pretty thin nw6 pattern (nw2 hairline though) w/ really bad crown. just switched over from finasteride to dutasteride after a few years of continuing to lose ground. Also started taking RU along with it, as well as my normal minoxidil. I'm a few weeks in, and I'm making this thread to update those people wondering if dutasteride or RU is worth it. No pictures as of now, I get too bummed out when I see how bad my hair really is so I try to cope with "out of sight out of mind" method +concealers.

So far...lots of shedding. There really isn't much hair on my head right now. I'm hoping this is a good sign, since they say shedding means its working. That definitely isn't guaranteed though so my fingers are crossed. As for side effects, none. I didn't get sides on finasteride either so I guess thats a positive. What are the odds that dutasteride+minoxidil+RU does not work? Very very small right? Well I hope so. I will update this as time goes on and be a guinea pig you guys who are on the fence about dutasteride or RU.

s322

Reaction score
My only question at present; where did you get the RU? Seems to be conflicting information on how to obtain it.

greg711711

Reaction score
anageninc- dropped like 95 dollars on the 5% premixed stuff, will buy powder and mix myself after this runs out

greg711711

Reaction score
UPDATE: about 5 weeks in. Still shedding pretty bad, and seems to be worse toward the front of my scalp. If the shed is indicative of future progress then I should be in good shape. Still no side effects whatsoever (knock on wood).

CliffLee

Established Member
Reaction score
Greg, why did you choose the pre-made stuff? I'm looking into RU but from reading, seems people were unsure of the pre-made solutions since 1) No certainty of the amount of RU in the solution 2) The stability of RU in the mixture over time is questionable. It also seems fairly simple to mix, with the consensus being a mix of PG and alcohol.

greg711711

Reaction score
It was kind of a knee jerk reaction to buy the premixed. I wanted to get on it as quickly as possible and was still uneducated on the mixing process. When this runs out I will be making it from scratch. To be honest I'm just kind of using myself as a guinea pig because the information on this forum/in general about RU is all over the place. I did however kind of handcuff myself by starting dutasteride and ru at the same time. If I get results I really wont be able to tell if it was the combination of them or just one

abcdefg

Reaction score
There should be a sticky somewhere with experimental stuff like how to mix RU/most reliable sites to get it, and stuff even it they recommend proven stuff first of course.

diffuse2007

Reaction score
i'm already on dutasteride and ru plus some for over 2 months with an nw7 pattern and i have thickened up, pics are in my post if your interested

abcdefg

Reaction score
Personally I am still a little iffy on the legality of buying something like RU online as a research chemical. Seems like a big grey area how legal it really is. RU sounds like the ideal AA though but without any safety info who knows what it does.
I looked at aarc-chems just because shipping is like 5 bucks compared to say 25 for kane or anagen. Pretty expensive stuff.

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
I myself am actually going to be doing the Dutasteride/RU58841 experiment and see how well this combination really works. I've already been taking 0.5 mg of Dutasteride daily for four months now and hair fall has become extremely minimal, I've had no adverse side effects from the medication. I am thinning in a NW6 pattern, so all the hair on top of my head has shown sensitivity to DHT. My crown and frontal scalp follicles have suffered the most sensitivity from my male pattern baldness.

If I give Dutasteride a couple more months, probably a complete cessation of hair loss could occur. Though my crown and frontal hair follicles are so sensitive that I'm actually afraid I will still lose hair over time in those areas even with taking Avodart daily. I cannot let my crown and frontal scalp hair get any worse, they're very ill and RU58841 may actually be needed in my situation, which is why I'm going to at least try that topical anti-androgen and see if the treatment really does anything to help. I will be using 100 mg per 1 ml once daily. If I find that it's not doing anything to help treat my male pattern baldness by three months into treatment, then I'll just drop it. It won't hurt to try, or at least it shouldn't.

greg711711

Reaction score
damn, congrats on the regrowth! I will be pleased with any noticeable regrowth let alone the amount of hair you gained!

- - - Updated - - -

I myself am actually going to be doing the Dutasteride/RU58841 experiment and see how well this combination really works. I've already been taking 0.5 mg of Dutasteride daily for four months now and hair fall has become extremely minimal, I've had no adverse side effects from the medication. I am thinning in a NW6 pattern, so all the hair on top of my head has shown sensitivity to DHT. My crown and frontal scalp follicles have suffered the most sensitivity from my male pattern baldness.

If I give Dutasteride a couple more months, probably a complete cessation of hair loss could occur. Though my crown and frontal hair follicles are so sensitive that I'm actually afraid I will still lose hair over time in those areas even with taking Avodart daily. I cannot let my crown and frontal scalp hair get any worse, they're very ill and RU58841 may actually be needed in my situation, which is why I'm going to at least try that topical anti-androgen and see if the treatment really does anything to help. I will be using 100 mg per 1 ml once daily. If I find that it's not doing anything to help treat my male pattern baldness by three months into treatment, then I'll just drop it. It won't hurt to try, or at least it shouldn't.

Sounds like we are pretty much battling the same pattern with the same regimen around the same age. Hopefully we can get some growth

blancodb

Reaction score
Keep us updated. I've been taking finasteride (+ minoxidil and 1% nizoral) for the past year, and while my hair thickened up a bit I am still loosing a ton of hair, especially recently. My frontal area is still in pretty bad shape. I'm 24, I gave it a year, and it seems finasteride is not strong enough for my hairloss. I'll be trying Dutasteride very soon and seeing how that works, and maybe RU58841 in the future if I still am not seeing improvement. So your experiences are all really valuable!

greg711711

Reaction score
Keep us updated. I've been taking finasteride (+ minoxidil and 1% nizoral) for the past year, and while my hair thickened up a bit I am still loosing a ton of hair, especially recently. My frontal area is still in pretty bad shape. I'm 24, I gave it a year, and it seems finasteride is not strong enough for my hairloss. I'll be trying Dutasteride very soon and seeing how that works, and maybeRU58841 in the future if I still am not seeing improvement. So your experiences are all really valuable!

Yeah you sound like you are in the same boat as me. I am in month 2 of dutasteride/ru and judging by the shower I took 20 mins ago I am still shedding pretty bad. There hairs shedding are all small and weak. Other than that, still no side effects-sexual or otherwise. I also go to the gym 5 days a week and it has not changed my stamina or strength at all (thankfully). As of right now I'm just praying for the shed to slow down.

greg711711

Reaction score
Update: around 2.5 months in. No real difference thus far. Still shedding like crazy, surprised that I even still have enough hair to style. Still no sides. The shed is getting pretty depressing but I will continue riding it out

greg711711

Reaction score
approx 4 month update for anyone who is still interested- still shedding all over, although more pronounced toward the front of my scalp. starting to believe that the people say that dutasteride destroyed the front of their scalp/hairline might have valid argument. still riding it out and still no side effects, except for possible depression but I feel like thats most likely caused by the shedding making my hair look like absolute crap

greg711711

Reaction score
my final update: nearly 6 months in and this experiment has most likely been a failure. Nothing but a wispy mess left on my head. I can't even style it anymore and Im having anxiety about how Im even gonna be able to go into work tomorrow. Despite pulling out the big guns I can pretty much say that hair loss has defeated me before the age of 25. Its amazing how much your life can change in 5 years.

robincurtz

Banned
Reaction score
dutasteride is not responsible for destroying hairline.sometimes our body becomes resistant to finasteride or dutasteride.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear this didn't work out for you. On paper, dutasteride/RU/minoxidil is about the heaviest weapons we have against male pattern baldness. It's very disheartening when even these have absolutely no effect as you say. dutasteride and RU should be close to removing or blocking 95%+ of scalp DHT, which leads me to believe there may be other factors involved, once DHT has set the whole process off.

Oriol

Established Member
Reaction score
Can you post picture of you hair before and during treatment?

Contrary to what many people write on hair loss forums, dutasteride doesn't destroy hair, that makes absolutely no sense.