Dutasteride results

LovingDUT

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just sharing my results with you.

I am just 22 and was on finasteride and minoxidil for a full 13 months ( genuine Propecia and rogaine). Within those 13 months I went from a norwood scale 2, to a bad 3/4. So pretty quick loss, but it does unfortunately run in the family, on both sides!. I read a reply to a post on another website, comparing propecia vs avodart, look it up on google - thebaldtruth.com- and find the reply by JJ. JJ suggested from personal experience to go against guideline amounts and take 2.5 mg of dutasteride within the first month or so, to boost the hairline, and slowly taking less and less until you only take to 0.5mg a day. After all non-surgical attempts with FDA approved drugs had failed, I had nothing to loose, except MORE HAIR. So, i took the supposedly dagerous leap into the world of dutasteride. Buying generic avodart( CIPLA - Duprost), at half the price of propecia. Here is the routine I used:

-1.5 mg a day for a month
- 1.0 mg a day for 2 weeks
-0.5 mg a day from the on

Results: I have a brand new hairline. Which started to grow within only 4 weeks. I now thick black hairline over and inch long, with visible newbies showing. I first worried that the hairs were just vellus hairs but their not. I have now cut my hair short for the first time in 3 years, where I would have it long in a last attempt to hide my ever growing forehead. Everyone has noticed the difference!

I highly recommend this drug. I have no side effects so far but will keep you posted every 2 months or so.

Thankyou CIPLA for cheap generics that work, and thankyou to that man who convinced me to take dutasteride. My advice, screw possible side effects-take dutasteride!

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You should check out Nickypoo's story in the "My Story" section. He was receding quite bad and then bam, 12 months later he has a Norwoord 1. It's a pretty awesome drug and I'm happy that GlaxoSmithKline are doing phase III studies.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
IrishFella said:
...It's a pretty awesome drug and I'm happy that GlaxoSmithKline are doing phase III studies.

They might be doing "phase III" studies (or maybe just phase II studies), but not for the purpose of getting dutasteride FDA approved for hairloss. They gave up on that long ago.

DonaldAnderson

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Your username and your post make me think you are an advertisement, sorry. Also, no one else has mentioned this but do you have pics? I would like to see how good especially if I were to try it. congrats anyway.

LovingDUT

Reaction score
I can assure you I am just a student on a budget, hence the generics.

Pictures soon to follow!

abcdefg

Reaction score
Good to hear hopefully it keeps working well. A story like this though makes me question our understanding of DHT because why would dutasteride give such great results when propecia did not work nearly as well? A story like this makes you wonder if there is more to DHT then our current understanding.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
abcdefg said:
A story like this though makes me question our understanding of DHT because why would dutasteride give such great results when propecia did not work nearly as well?

Dutasteride works only a little better than finasteride.

otis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
How did you feel when you were on three pills a day?
I have taken two a day the most.

otis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
IrishFella said:
...It's a pretty awesome drug and I'm happy that GlaxoSmithKline are doing phase III studies.

They might be doing "phase III" studies (or maybe just phase II studies), but not for the purpose of getting dutasteride FDA approved for hairloss. They gave up on that long ago.

I read that they were doing phase 3 studys in Korea for hair loss. In fact i think they are done now but i cant see why the would choose Korea .

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
abcdefg said:
A story like this though makes me question our understanding of DHT because why would dutasteride give such great results when propecia did not work nearly as well?

really?

In the phase II trials, an expert panel observing a one-inch diameter circle on the vertex of the head reported the following results at 24 weeks:
Placebo: - 32.3 hairs
Finasteride 5 mg: + 75.6 hairs
Dutasteride 0.1 mg: + 78.5 hairs
Dutasteride 0.5 mg: + 94.6 hairs
Dutasteride 2.5 mg: + 109.6 hairs

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
otis said:
I read that they were doing phase 3 studys in Korea for hair loss. In fact i think they are done now but i cant see why the would choose Korea .

I'm guessing it's probably CHEAPER to do studies in Korea. Remember, this has nothing to do with FDA approval, it just has to do with proving to people that dutasteride does about as well as finasteride at growing and maintaining hair.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
2020 said:
Bryan said:

really?

Yes, really.

2020 said:
In the phase II trials, an expert panel observing a one-inch diameter circle on the vertex of the head reported the following results at 24 weeks:
Placebo: - 32.3 hairs
Finasteride 5 mg: + 75.6 hairs
Dutasteride 0.1 mg: + 78.5 hairs
Dutasteride 0.5 mg: + 94.6 hairs
Dutasteride 2.5 mg: + 109.6 hairs

You seem to be confused! First of all, no doctor is going to prescribe 2.5 mg of dutasteride to a patient just to treat his male pattern baldness. That was just an experimental dose used by Glaxo for the purpose of their brief trial; the trial lasted for only six months. No doctor is going to have anybody take such a dose for the rest of his life just to treat his hairloss, unless he's just DYING to have the pants sued off him!! :shock:

Second of all, you're forgetting to take the NEGATIVE hairs from the placebo into account: -32.3. That makes the difference between finasteride and dutasteride a little less significant still:

Finasteride: +107.9 hairs
Dutasteride: +126.9 hairs

So this is the bottom-line: dutasteride at the FDA-approved dose of 0.5 mg/day is only a little better than finasteride (126.9, compared to 107.9).

K

kehcorpz

Given the small differences between Duta and fina, I would rather go bald than to take duta. The implications of blocking 5-AR-1 are too impactful in the long run. It is involved in the path of many Neurohormones among other things. From what I read there doesn't tend to be a selective affinity either so you can block more 5-ar-1 than 5-ar-2 in the end. It's possible that in non-responders to fina the 5-ar-1 is more responsible for their issues. If the drug had a higher affinity for 5-ar-2 and simply targeted 5-ar-1 after saturation then it would be something I took into consideration. A lot of antidepressant SSRIs have a strong affinity for serotonin transporters and only as a secondary action will target secondary sites such as dopamine transporters.

brian liles

Reaction score
The only reason why dutasteride is a bit better due to the more complete inhibition of alpha 5 type2 than finasteride does. dutas ability of inhibiting type one has no impact. Type does not cause hairloss. I emailed so many hair transplant doctors as well as some endoctinilogist, the ones that replied to my email said type 1 has no affect.

the psyudohermaphrodites all had normal levels of type 1 and testosterone as well and never debveloped acne, balding, prostate, etc. type 2 is the real a**h** lol.

Plus merck studied a type 1 inhibitor mk386 and nothing happend.

people should be careful with duta. its only slightly better.

K

kehcorpz

Brian, that could make sense. 5-ar enzymes are synthesized in many tissues. It would make sense that people with male pattern baldness synthesize 5-ar-type 2 enzyme mainly in the skin in the region where they go bald. This would account for the specific pattern as the skin is genetically determined to synthesize these enzymes.

It's highly suspect that 5-ar-1 is synthesized within genital skin and scientists theorize this may be why people with a deficiency in 5-ar-2 still develop male characteristics during puberty.

Here's an interesting study:

http://eje-online.org/content/152/6/875.long

It just makes me that much more concerned about taking dutasteride long term.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
I still want to see pics!! Nickypoo's story inspired me to go on a dutasteride test but I just saw continued loss during that time. Kinda sucked. I had virtually no sides, though. I am sort of wondering if some individuals just respond poorly to Dutasteride, or if my hair loss is just trying to accelerate at the same time.

I've recently started finasteride back again and am hoping to see results there by the end of the summer. Oddly enough, no sides this time.