Dutasteride Not Lowering My Dht Levels

Mywinningfight

My Regimen
Reaction score
Male, 35 years old. NW3 thinning in all the NW5 area.

One year and a half taking Dutasteride to treat my hair loss. Bought in a local pharmacy, brand Avodart.

My DHT levels ( tested in three different labs in the last two months) are in the normal range : 0,36ng/ml (normal range 0,25- 0,99 ng/ml.)

How is this possible?

Thank you so much in advance.

ForeverLacey

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you do baseline tests prior to starting Dutasteride? If you haven't then how do you know it hasn't effectively lowered your DHT levels? Are you taking the recommended daily dose? One dose does not fit all when it comes to dialing down or raising up hormonal levels. You might want to speak with your endocrinologist regarding your test results, no one here is educated enough to provide you with any useful answers.

Mywinningfight

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you do baseline tests prior to starting Dutasteride? If you haven't then how do you know it hasn't effectively lowered your DHT levels? Are you taking the recommended daily dose? One dose does not fit all when it comes to dialing down or raising up hormonal levels. You might want to speak with your endocrinologist regarding your test results, no one here is educated enough to provide you with any useful answers.

Yes, I take 0.5mg ED.

I don’t have DHT levels before , but it make no sense:
Dutasteride suppressed serum DHT concentrations by approximately 95%, so If you were right my DHT levels before treatment would be more than 3,6ng/ml ( normal range 0,25- 0,99 ng/ml.) It’s impossible

Thank you for your time forevelacey

Feelsbadman.jpg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Backdoor pathway for dihydrotestosterone biosynthesis: Implications for normal and abnormal human sex development
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/dvdy.23892

If you ingest steroids that are already 5alpha reduced, your body can still convert these to DHT despite being on dutasteride. You don't eat copius amounts of dairy products by any chance do you?

Otherwise, you might just genetically not respond to dutasteride. Have you tried finasteride? Some people have a better genetic response to finasteride than dutasteride.

Mywinningfight

My Regimen
Reaction score
Backdoor pathway for dihydrotestosterone biosynthesis: Implications for normal and abnormal human sex development
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/dvdy.23892

If you ingest steroids that are already 5alpha reduced, your body can still convert these to DHT despite being on dutasteride. You don't eat copius amounts of dairy products by any chance do you?

Otherwise, you might just genetically not respond to dutasteride. Have you tried finasteride? Some people have a better genetic response to finasteride than dutasteride.

I don't ingest steroids or dairy products.
I have tried finasteride in the past. Very similar DHT results, in the normal range.
Thank you man!

Mywinningfight

My Regimen
Reaction score
Some possibilities

- your duta is fake
-the test is wrong
-your dht is super high cause some hormonal problem

- I buy brand Avodart Dutasteride in two different local pharmacies in my country, Spain.
- Three different tests, in three different labs. Almost impossible.
- Dutasteride suppressed serum DHT concentrations by approximately 95%, so If you were right my DHT levels before treatment would be more than 3,6ng/ml ( normal range 0,25- 0,99 ng/ml.) It’s impossible

Thank you!

Feelsbadman.jpg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would try to get tested again by a different Dr/company. I think there is a lot of variance in testing for DHT as it not something routinely done. If it is brand name Avodart from pharmacy, then it has to be legitimate.

Mywinningfight

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would try to get tested again by a different Dr/company. I think there is a lot of variance in testing for DHT as it not something routinely done. If it is brand name Avodart from pharmacy, then it has to be legitimate.

I have tested my DHT levels in three different labs in my country.

Feelsbadman.jpg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have tested my DHT levels in three different labs in my country.

And they all came back the same? If so then I am baffled.

In the year and half you have been on dutasteride, do you feel it has helped your hair loss? If it hasn't, you could stop taking it, wait 6 months, and then get retested. That is the only way you could really find out what it was doing to your DHT. Downside is your hair loss might speed up if dutasteride is in fact doing something.

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
- I buy brand Avodart Dutasteride in two different local pharmacies in my country, Spain.
- Three different tests, in three different labs. Almost impossible.
- Dutasteride suppressed serum DHT concentrations by approximately 95%, so If you were right my DHT levels before treatment would be more than 3,6ng/ml ( normal range 0,25- 0,99 ng/ml.) It’s impossible

Thank you!

sorry man, i dont know what could be the reason

Kaus Klinski

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm basically in the same boat. Even on 0,5 dutasteride daily (and very low T levels) my DHT levels where in the middle to upper range of the norm. Now on high dose TRT (and 0,5 dutasteride only e3d), they are pretty much above the upper range (as is T), but I dont see any negative effects from it clinically, my PSA has halfed since on high dose T. and I maintain my hair just as fine as before.

AFAIK, it's not an easy task to measure DHT precisely. I think, some labs are just incapable of, for whatever reason.

Mywinningfight

My Regimen
Reaction score
AFAIK, it's not an easy task to measure DHT precisely. I think, some labs are just incapable of, for whatever reason.

I have found a very interesting comment on Reddit about the possibility that maybe tests are wrong ( in my case, 3 different tests in three different labs...)

"I emailed the two main researchers in that study and here is what they said in regards to the DHT tests:

''Steroids are assessed by radioimmunoassays/ ELISA. The sensitivity limit of those assays is very close to the blood DHT levels for most people. Blood testosterone, in contrast, is 600 nM (nmol/ L), so it is accurately measured. DHT does not dissolve well in water (and blood) so most DHT circulates in the blood as a sulfate or glucuronide metabolite (DHT-g). Thus, I recommend measuring DHT-g.'' "

source : https://www.reddit.com/r/tressless/...how/el8rm96?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

I don't know what to think...

Last edited:

Moosey

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
lol @ the people who say he had high DHT levels before. You have no idea how strong dutasteride is. I know someone who was on a high TRT dose and had 2500 ng/dl test levels (5-6x as much as a normal human), and with 0.5mg Dutasteride per day his DHT levels were below detection level in his blood results.

@Mywinningfight Did you experience shedding when you started, decrease in libido?
Have you had any regrowth?

Mywinningfight

My Regimen
Reaction score
lol @ the people who say he had high DHT levels before. You have no idea how strong dutasteride is. I know someone who was on a high TRT dose and had 2500 ng/dl test levels (5-6x as much as a normal human), and with 0.5mg Dutasteride per day his DHT levels were below detection level in his blood results.

@Mywinningfight Did you experience shedding when you started, decrease in libido?
Have you had any regrowth?

I didn't experience shedding, but I think it thickened a little my hair in the beginning, and nowadays probably I am just maintaining...

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You are non responder. Dutasteride does nothing to your 5AR enzyme. It’s genetics.

Your only option is topical antiandrogen, RU or CB.

One of the most knowledgeable members here, @IdealForhead , had the same issue and he found his solution in darolutamide.

Edit: I don't know why @ doesn't work, just search for him up in the menu and find the topic where he was talking about this issue.

Mywinningfight

My Regimen
Reaction score
You are non responder. Dutasteride does nothing to your 5AR enzyme. It’s genetics.

Your only option is topical antiandrogen, RU or CB.

One of the most knowledgeable members here, @IdealForhead , had the same issue and he found his solution in darolutamide.

Edit: I don't know why @ doesn't work, just search for him up in the menu and find the topic where he was talking about this issue.

Probably you are right, but I don't know what it's weirder: to be one between 1.000.000 who Dutasteride doesn't lower her DHT, or that three labs made the same test wrong.
Any advice?

Thank you so much guys!

Kaus Klinski

My Regimen
Reaction score
More than a decade ago, I've been on dutasteride 0.5 mg/day *and* finasteride 1.25 mg/day concomitantly. And guess what: DHT was in the upper normal range. No exogenous T was used. It is impossible for both drugs to fail IMHO. I think, some labs just suck.

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It is impossible for both drugs to fail IMHO. I think, some labs just suck.

That’s not so uncommon. Many people are not responding to finasteride (~ 30% I think, google it) and a little less many to dutasteride.

If those two fail you need to use topical antiandrogen.

Moosey

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Mywinningfight I was asking because i see alot of people claiming that some hairloss drug/protocol doesnt work for them while they dont even have hairloss. Some guys think just because they have widow peaks or because their hair isnt perfect or doesnt have the thickness of a grizzly bears fur, it means they have hairloss. Then they jump on dutasteride, minoxidil or whatever, and say it doesnt work because they didnt have a shedding phase and therefore no regrowth either.
I was one of those people several years ago. When i didnt have hairloss, used minoxidil, and neither experienced shedding or regrowth.