Dutasteride Is One Hell Of An Interesting F*cking Drug

horunger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Were you on finasteride before you took dutasteride today for the first time ?

Were you a good responder to finasteride ?
finasteride for 6 months, small doses, visible regrowth that even other people noticed. Not enough to justify continued use though, but since i had results on finasteride i think there is high probability that dutasteride can be my permanent solution. So far i had only sporadic testicle discomfort on dutasteride, nothing compared to the pain the first weeks on finasteride, and thats the only negative i have to say about dutasteride so far, its almost nothing.

jetlife1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thats true for some but not all, and the finasteride results are nowhere near long term dutasteride users. When dutasteride in addition seem to have less severe side effects then we can leave it to people to draw their own conclusions. Better effect, lower side effects, let each and every one chose who is more full of sh*t here.

Edit: additionally, lets not ignore the large number of finasteride users here who have slowly but surely lost hair while on it, that was the basis of my comment, the 90% good responders you talk about are not to be found here. And post your awesome 10 year result please, or keep quiet.

It is true for most men, not some. I didn't mean that I was on it for 10 years. I have been on it for over 2 years and still have a full head of hair. The longest study on dutasteride is 4 years while finasteride is 10 years. I'm not discounting that dutasteride is effective, but so is finasteride.

You're comment that "finasteride just doesn't give good results over time, dutasteride is our only option" is completely false and misleading. You're of course only going to hear from men having problems with these drugs on this website, but they are the minority. Also, you've only been on finasteride for 6 months AND you had some positive results so who are you to comment on the long term effectiveness of finasteride? You can't only get your information from users on this forum because that is not always reliable. Look at the professional studies.

Show me proof that dutasteride works better long term than finasteride and I will gladly switch to dutasteride. I agree that they are probably both safe medications for the majority.

horunger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Youre wrong about dutasteride long term testing being 4 years, check out twinshairloss.com and be convinced about duts superiority. Twin A started dutasteride in late 2004, and even if his photos go up to only 2013 thats 8 years with a most impressive hairloss halting, if 90% of finasteride users had as good results we wouldnt be here today, we would all be hairy as 16 year old kids in 1975 and not be concerned about hairloss. Theres simply too many guys with continued thinning on finasteride, glad some has good results but i dare say that few finasteride users are very satisfied, and none that i know. Keeping a thick crown on finasteride for years? Havent seen any yet, where are these 90% then?

jetlife1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Youre wrong about dutasteride long term testing being 4 years, check out twinshairloss.com and be convinced about duts superiority. Twin A started dutasteride in late 2004, and even if his photos go up to only 2013 thats 8 years with a most impressive hairloss halting, if 90% of finasteride users had as good results we wouldnt be here today, we would all be hairy as 16 year old kids in 1975 and not be concerned about hairloss. Theres simply too many guys with continued thinning on finasteride, glad some has good results but i dare say that few finasteride users are very satisfied, and none that i know. Keeping a thick crown on finasteride for years? Havent seen any yet, where are these 90% then?

I've seen twins hair loss and am convinced that he would have the same cosmetic results if he were to use finasteride. Inhibiting Type 1 DHT does nothing for male pattern baldness and he clearly writes that is the only reason he took dutasteride over finasteride.

There are plenty of users who keep the hair they started with and even more with finasteride long term, but they don't come around here anymore cause why would they? You just have to dig a little deeper in the forums to find them. I gotta be honest with you I only come on here sometimes for news in the hair loss industry. Greater than 90% of users do respond well to finasteride, but that means they maintain, sometimes thicken, and sometimes regrow hair. It's not going to make an NW4-6 go back to a NW1/NW2. If you start early enough I believe it is a cure for most men as long as you keep taking it.

Good luck with whatever you choose, finasteride and dutasteride are both effective in my opinion.

horunger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just a notice: dutasteride causes moderate constipation in males, im like 2 weeks into dutasteride and started to notice symptoms some days ago, coz i have never been constipated b4. This may or may not be a concern for guys with recurrent constipation considering duta.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've seen twins hair loss and am convinced that he would have the same cosmetic results if he were to use finasteride. Inhibiting Type 1 DHT does nothing for male pattern baldness and he clearly writes that is the only reason he took dutasteride over finasteride.

There are plenty of users who keep the hair they started with and even more with finasteride long term, but they don't come around here anymore cause why would they? You just have to dig a little deeper in the forums to find them. I gotta be honest with you I only come on here sometimes for news in the hair loss industry. Greater than 90% of users do respond well to finasteride, but that means they maintain, sometimes thicken, and sometimes regrow hair. It's not going to make an NW4-6 go back to a NW1/NW2. If you start early enough I believe it is a cure for most men as long as you keep taking it.

Good luck with whatever you choose, finasteride and dutasteride are both effective in my opinion.

Inhibiting type-1 DHT may do nothing in and of itself, but it could increase estrogen or SHBG which will help with regrowth. Once type-1 DHT is closed, that testosterone has to go to something else.

jetlife1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@David_MPN maybe you're right but Type 1 has no direct effect on male pattern baldness.

I would say if you need some decent regrowth and are pretty far along in the male pattern baldness process get on dutasteride. For me, it is all about maintaining so I am on finasteride. I've even gotten some regrowth/thickening in addition though.

Ruby

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Tried Dutas for the first time last night. I dunno if I like it though.

Had difficulty falling asleep, and when I finally did, I had vivid really weird dreams not exactly pleasant ones... involved memories from a college orchestra bus trip I was once on 35 years ago but everything was warped and twisted around, and I was driving the bus in the dream.

Woke up with morningwood for the first time in almost 2 months. Ugh.

Maybe taking it in the evening was the wrong time of day. I'm gonna skip it today, then try it again Saturday morning.
I'm gonna stay on 2.5mg finasteride twice per day for a while too, since dutasteride takes a few days to build up to functional serum levels.
If the unpleasant effects from dutasteride persist, I'm not gonna be able to continue it.

Valiant

Established Member
Reaction score
Inhibiting type-1 DHT may do nothing in and of itself, but it could increase estrogen or SHBG which will help with regrowth. Once type-1 DHT is closed, that testosterone has to go to something else.

Just wondering about how increased estrogen or sex hormone binding globulin helps regrow hair...

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just wondering about how increased estrogen or sex hormone binding globulin helps regrow hair...
Estrogen stimulates scalp hair growth as noted and documented by several people.

Low SHBG us correlated with baldness. It's the strongest correlation between blood and baldness. Nobody understands it unfortunately.

Bigbone

Established Member
Reaction score

You've only been using it for 2 yrs, you don't know how effective it is in the long term. Honestly is seems like most guys who stick to finasteride for more than 5 yrs seem to come back to this forum. You find new post about this subject every day. Keep in mind alot of the men you claim have a good long term result might be older guys, who started to lose hair after 30 (less aggresive in most cases). Tbh I don't even think there are that many guys using finasteride around the world, especially compared to the amount of balding men. At least not as common as people here claim. My mother works as a pharmacis (the only way to get it here) in a capital and I've asked her how often she handles out finasteride, she says its really, really rare.
If you start balding in your early 20's and want to keep your hair past 30, I think dutasteride is the only way to go. I belive finasteride will slow down the hair loss long term though.

Massive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Tried Dutas for the first time last night. I dunno if I like it though.

Had difficulty falling asleep, and when I finally did, I had vivid really weird dreams not exactly pleasant ones... involved memories from a college orchestra bus trip I was once on 35 years ago but everything was warped and twisted around, and I was driving the bus in the dream.

Woke up with morningwood for the first time in almost 2 months. Ugh.

Maybe taking it in the evening was the wrong time of day. I'm gonna skip it today, then try it again Saturday morning.
I'm gonna stay on 2.5mg finasteride twice per day for a while too, since dutasteride takes a few days to build up to functional serum levels.
If the unpleasant effects from dutasteride persist, I'm not gonna be able to continue it.

I was on dr. Reddy dutas for 3 months in the past and i remember it felt like i was walking with a steam noddle around. Not fapping suddenly became really easy and I managed an all time amazing record of 3 months. Morning wood was also completely gone and the only wood I got was from when my bladder was full during sleep, not legit morning wood. I was also shedding so much it drove me insane that eventually quit everything. I'm now close to 7 months back on finasteride only. I'm still not sure if I should introduce dutasteride one or twice a week or just forget it...
I'm getting sick of being my own doctor and buying countless generics over the net myself. My dertamatologist is only good for finasteride prescription and that's it.

Ruby

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was on dr. Reddy dutas for 3 months in the past and i remember it felt like i was walking with a steam noddle around. Not fapping suddenly became really easy and I managed an all time amazing record of 3 months. Morning wood was also completely gone and the only wood I got was from when my bladder was full during sleep, not legit morning wood. I was also shedding so much it drove me insane that eventually quit everything. I'm now close to 7 months back on finasteride only. I'm still not sure if I should introduce dutasteride one or twice a week or just forget it...
I'm getting sick of being my own doctor and buying countless generics over the net myself. My dertamatologist is only good for finasteride prescription and that's it.

Sorry to hear you're getting sub-optimal results from everything.
I researched as much as I could about the generic dutasteride brands and of the Dr.Reddys Dutas vs Ranbaxy Dutagen vs Cipla Duprost, the Dutas seems to be getting the best reviews too. That's why I bought that generic brand over the others. Getting a prescription for the name brand Avodart here would be unobtainium for me as well. Hell. I can't even find an endo willing to manage my HRT legitimately without having to drive for three hours to a large city. As long as I keep my T/DHT suppressed and feeding my scalp what amounts to normal female levels of estrogen and pouring on the minoxidil, I'm probably doing the max possible for my hair, but of course, my main goal is something.... um, er, different.

I wonder if one of the topical dutasteride concoctions might work for you? I recall seeing a thread somewhere where someone made a mixture of dutasteride in aloe vera gel and got results. Even one of the topical estrogen mixtures like Alpicort F might be worth trying. Just be very mindful about systemic estrogen levels if you want to avoid gyno.

BTW, off topic and yeah my mind's in the gutter, but could not help but noticing your username below your avatar with the word Member underneath it. Very clever. I need to make a new account here withe the username of "Shrinking" or "Losing_My"
LoL!

EDIT: Oops, I just saw in the other thread where you're already tryng to get your hands on Alpicort F.

If you're really desperate, your can get Estrogel from Inhouse, but it's got 10x the concentration of estradiol in it, and is designed to go systemic on purpose, so you'd have to use it very sparingly and maybe even dilute it into something else, or you'd be growing boobs like me.

Last edited:

Massive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you're getting sub-optimal results from everything.
I researched as much as I could about the generic dutasteride brands and of the Dr.Reddys Dutas vs Ranbaxy Dutagen vs Cipla Duprost, the Dutas seems to be getting the best reviews too. That's why I bought that generic brand over the others. Getting a prescription for the name brand Avodart here would be unobtainium for me as well. Hell. I can't even find an endo willing to manage my HRT legitimately without having to drive for three hours to a large city. As long as I keep my T/DHT suppressed and feeding my scalp what amounts to normal female levels of estrogen and pouring on the minoxidil, I'm probably doing the max possible for my hair, but of course, my main goal is something.... um, er, different.

I wonder if one of the topical dutasteride concoctions might work for you? I recall seeing a thread somewhere where someone made a mixture of dutasteride in aloe vera gel and got results. Even one of the topical estrogen mixtures like Alpicort F might be worth trying. Just be very mindful about systemic estrogen levels if you want to avoid gyno.

BTW, off topic and yeah my mind's in the gutter, but could not help but noticing your username below your avatar with the word Member underneath it. Very clever. I need to make a new account here withe the username of "Shrinking" or "Losing_My"
LoL!

EDIT: Oops, I just saw in the other thread where you're already tryng to get your hands on Alpicort F.

If you're really desperate, your can get Estrogel from Inhouse, but it's got 10x the concentration of estradiol in it, and is designed to go systemic on purpose, so you'd have to use it very sparingly and maybe even dilute it into something else, or you'd be growing boobs like me.

Hey , thanks for your concern :)
I remember also doing a lot of searching on generic dutasteride brands before I bought Dutas which seemed like the best option. I bought my Dutas from an online store over here that basically has someone shipping generics from India, they had all the dutasteride brands you previously mentioned. Their prices are also quite cheap. All the dutasteride version cost around $26 and the shipping over here is like $5 flat rate. The down side is they take at least 3 weeks to arrive.
I recently befriended an ebay seller from India, and he can get just about any generics for dirt cheap and as long as I cover the shipping and give a bit of a bonus then it's all good. I asked him to get me antiobiotics for my mild acne (doxycycline) and within 2-3 hours he bought, packed and sent it off.

Regarding brand Avodart, I found this site that sell a pack for 20gbp ($24 usd), and if you don't have a prescription you can pay 20gbp for 'consulation fee'. I guess this could be a good price if you buy 4-6 months in advance, otherwise you woukd need to pay the 20gbp consulation fee everytime you buy Avodart. Here's the site:
https://pharmacydirectgb.co.uk/avodart.php

Pardon my ignirance but I'm quite oblivious as to what a person on HRT has to go through, but with the way some HRTs end up looking sexy as hell I'm sure it's quite a struggle on everyday basis. I actually believe we do have a common maintain, keeping/regrowing our hair and looking aesthetic :p

Regarding taking dutasteride, whether orally or topically, I'm not sure I'm not ready to go through that again. I'm closing in on 7 months of prescribed Propecia and I think that this time I'd like to complete 1 full year before I start playing around with dutasteride. I might be willing to add dutasteride perhaps once a week, still not sure though.
The topical usage you mention I think is by 'BaldingHelpMe', he said he takes 1mg a day of dutasteride orally, and then 'pops a cap' into his palm with aloe vera and massages onto the scalp and leaves it on for 15 minutes, he uses legit Avodart tho. The other user saw is 'swanny' that says he uses an Avodart + aloe vera topical once every 6 days.
However, if I were to use dutasteride topically, I think it would be much more cost beneficial to use a solution like this:
www.puritysolutionsresearch.com/dutasteride.html
I advised this to BaldingHelpMe but he only wants to use the original Avodart.

You're right, I am trying to get a hold of Alpicort F, it's just a matter that the only website that sells it and accepts paypal has to approve its customers before they csn purchase anything. For some reason they haven't approved any of my accounts. And the other 2 websites that sell Alpicort F only accept MoneyGram or wire transfer which comes to around $50 a bottle (instead of $29) with taxes and all.
Thanks for the estrogel advice but I'll save it as last resort and start off with Alpicort F.

You just blew my mind with the 'massive member', it was completely unintentional. I been using the nickname Massive for like over 10 years I think because of an old jungle track from Da Ali G show 'Jungle is Massive', and it carried me even in real life when people whom I met online finally meet me in real life they go like 'now I know why your call yourself massive', myself being 6'2" / 225lbs, and the average height here is 5'9" so I stand out. And when I grew my beard out for 11 months (in my avi) people were like 'your beard is massive'. I shaved it off last month though because only guys digged my beard and it seemed like even my height and physique coudn't counter effect the disgust of 99% of women by a long beard.
If you make a new username, then I think that you will start off with a 'New Member' and it will take a while until you reach 'Member', but it would be hilarious if people noticed it lol.
So thank you for all your help. And by the way bigger boobs are always welcome even if it won't be muscle tissue lol, for some reason it seems that guys feel this liberty to fondle another guy's man pecks at the gym, I'll take it as a compliment.

horunger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ruby, i take duta when i wake up, i sleep very well and wake up a little bit earlier than normal and still feel very rested, my sleep is very uninterupted lately and its likely the credit has to go to duta. So, morning works great for me, hope you find what works for you.

Ruby

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Massive thank you for your support and understanding without judgement, it really means a lot. Regarding HRT, that's the easy part.... just taking some meds in hopes it will do its magic in feminizing my appearance. The hard part is social transition and dealing with my ability to accomplish that against a tide of negative opinions and judgement. I've faced that sort of thing for 46 of my 54 years and I'm old enough now that my give-a-fucks are running in short supply anymore about what judgemental people think about me, but it still hurts when people give me sh*t about who and what I am. I just gotta roll with the punches sometimes and get past it. In the end our (transgender women's) bodies are still genetically male and always will be, and the hairloss issue is a common battle... and a source of self-esteem dysphoria no matter what our gender identity happens to be, and we're all on the same team with regards to battling that demon. I wish you the best of luck in your battle too. And yes, your beard in your avatar is definitely an awesome one. I went thru my own beard-growing stages myself as part of my denial and repression, but never could grow one quite that fantastic. Now I hate shaving with an intense passion, but have to do it every day and can't wait until the day I can afford electrolysis to permanently kill off my facial hair.

And if you, really don't mind growing boobs... well there certainly are ways of accomplishing that, which are also beneficial to scalp hair regrowth (wink wink) :) Estrogel could play a big part in that!!!! haha!
(Humor intended)

@horunger I took another Dutas last evening about 7pm, and again had fitfull shallow sleep, with vivid dreams that dredged up unpleasant memories from my past intertwined with some negative stuff I'm presently dealing with. I ended up sorta waking up in the wee hours of the a.m., screaming along with some sleep paralysis happing too. Like Buckthorn said, this is a hell of a wierd drug. I took my dose today early this morning, so we'll see if that bad sh*t carrys on or subsides. I've got the mental fortitude to handle perhaps a week or two of nightmares, but if it keeps up without diminishing, I'll be done with dutasteride in short order.

horunger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@horunger I took another Dutas last evening about 7pm, and again had fitfull shallow sleep, with vivid dreams that dredged up unpleasant memories from my past intertwined with some negative stuff I'm presently dealing with. I ended up sorta waking up in the wee hours of the a.m., screaming along with some sleep paralysis happing too. Like Buckthorn said, this is a hell of a wierd drug. I took my dose today early this morning, so we'll see if that bad sh*t carrys on or subsides. I've got the mental fortitude to handle perhaps a week or two of nightmares, but if it keeps up without diminishing, I'll be done with dutasteride in short order.
That does not sound good, but i hope it pass very soon. I had some bad sleep early on but it can happen without meds too, i didnt connect that with Duta, but lately it been unusually good and a possible connection to duta if its persistent. If im having vivid dreams im sure not remembering it. I think you will improve, hope so.

Ruby

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I slept better last night. Dreams were still quite vivid, but not disturbing like prior nights. I took my dutasteride today early in the morning, and already had a couple hours nap today late afternoon / early evening and do not remember dreaming at all. Maybe it was just the initial shock of dutasteride on my brain's hormonal neuroreceptors.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I slept better last night. Dreams were still quite vivid, but not disturbing like prior nights. I took my dutasteride today early in the morning, and already had a couple hours nap today late afternoon / early evening and do not remember dreaming at all. Maybe it was just the initial shock of dutasteride on my brain's hormonal neuroreceptors.

well, I am glad you're getting more productive sleep. If I were you, I would NOT ever pretend to know what dutasteride is going to do to you. It's one hardcore f*****g medication. I feel fine now, but the two weeks I was on it were weird as f***. I hope you don't get any side effects. The one thing I fear more from dutasteride than anything are mental side effects.

Ruby

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
well, I am glad you're getting more productive sleep. If I were you, I would NOT ever pretend to know what dutasteride is going to do to you. It's one hardcore f*****g medication. I feel fine now, but the two weeks I was on it were weird as f***. I hope you don't get any side effects. The one thing I fear more from dutasteride than anything are mental side effects.

I've got a little brain fog today but that might be from getting hammered drunk last night combined with past couple days of crappy sleep.