Dutasteride - Does It Work? How Was Your Experience?

How was your experience with Dutasteride?

• Maintenance

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Regrowth

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Maintenance + Regrowth

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Nothing

Votes: 15 42.9%

• Total voters

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
Was on dutasteride from age 25 - 32, came off to have kids, back on for a year or so, off again to have another child, back on again 36-39.

Hair maintained plus thickened up an incredible amount, crown filled in mainly through thickening of existing hair but also some regrowth.

Hairline thickened up, minimal regrowth but a small amount.

When I was off dutasteride and once our children were conceived but not yet born I was on finasteride with maintenance but zero thickening or regrowth.

Looking back at my old posts I had shedding around months 3-4, posting at the 7 month mark saying no regrowth or thickening, then 9-12 months started to see some serious results. 24 month mark was when my hair reached optimal level.

This was taking dutasteride once daily with minoxidil (topical) twice daily.

However I came off dutasteride recently because of a worryingly high liver count in a blood test. No idea if it was from dutasteride but couldn't really attribute it to anything else.

So yes it does work, extremely well in my case, but you have to be patient to see results plus maybe go through a shed too... And there's no real studies in to long term effects on your health.

I found one small study that seemed to show possible liver issues from long term use that also looked at finasteride over the same time, the latter didn't show any liver issues. This was what made me think my liver results were from dutasteride, but really I have no idea.

Stopped dutasteride 3-4 months ago and liver results were more or less normal again, so going to get on finasteride once it arrives on the post and derma rolling + needling.

I loved dutasteride though and may introduce it back in once a week at some point in the future, but not sure how effective that will be Vs every day.

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score
Was on dutasteride from age 25 - 32, came off to have kids, back on for a year or so, off again to have another child, back on again 36-39.

Hair maintained plus thickened up an incredible amount, crown filled in mainly through thickening of existing hair but also some regrowth.

Hairline thickened up, minimal regrowth but a small amount.

When I was off dutasteride and once our children were conceived but not yet born I was on finasteride with maintenance but zero thickening or regrowth.

Looking back at my old posts I had shedding around months 3-4, posting at the 7 month mark saying no regrowth or thickening, then 9-12 months started to see some serious results. 24 month mark was when my hair reached optimal level.

This was taking dutasteride once daily with minoxidil (topical) twice daily.

However I came off dutasteride recently because of a worryingly high liver count in a blood test. No idea if it was from dutasteride but couldn't really attribute it to anything else.

So yes it does work, extremely well in my case, but you have to be patient to see results plus maybe go through a shed too... And there's no real studies in to long term effects on your health.

I found one small study that seemed to show possible liver issues from long term use that also looked at finasteride over the same time, the latter didn't show any liver issues. This was what made me think my liver results were from dutasteride, but really I have no idea.

Stopped dutasteride 3-4 months ago and liver results were more or less normal again, so going to get on finasteride once it arrives on the post and derma rolling + needling.

I loved dutasteride though and may introduce it back in once a week at some point in the future, but not sure how effective that will be Vs every day.

why did you stop dutasteride when you wanted a kid?

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
why did you stop dutasteride when you wanted a kid?

Potential for birth defects. Same with finasteride although I think plenty have had healthy babies on it.

Basically not worth risking any issues with my children just for the sake of my hair.

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score
Potential for birth defects. Same with finasteride although I think plenty have had healthy babies on it.

Basically not worth risking any issues with my children just for the sake of my hair.

But I believe the woman has to come in contact with the dutasteride while pregnant for there to be any risk. What info are you basing this off of? Is there an actual risk from the male taking dutasteride to transfer to fetus without woman ever coming in contact with it?

f***, now you got me all thinking. My wife just had a miscarriage and I’m now questioning whether or not the miscarriage had anything to with me being on dutasteride.

The_Dragon

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that. A miscarriage before 12 weeks is not uncommon (10-15%) though. Apparently it is safe to use, but a lot of people don't take the chance so go off it while trying to conceive. Dutasteride has a high half life though (weeks)

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score
Super long half-life. If memory serves me right, it takes about 6 months for it to leave tour system if you’ve taken 0.5mg daily for approx 10-12 wks. I’m itching closer and closer to opting for RU in place of dutasteride.

dutasteride, in my experience, like other treatments will depend on the severity and aggressiveness of your male pattern baldness. It worked well for me 10 yrs ago. Now it slowed my shedding down but still shedding a sh*t load despite being on dutasteride for several months now.

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
But I believe the woman has to come in contact with the dutasteride while pregnant for there to be any risk. What info are you basing this off of? Is there an actual risk from the male taking dutasteride to transfer to fetus without woman ever coming in contact with it?

f***, now you got me all thinking. My wife just had a miscarriage and I’m now questioning whether or not the miscarriage had anything to with me being on dutasteride.

Sorry to hear, that... My wife and I lost 2 babies, thankfully we have two healthy children too but it was a traumatic experience getting there, my sympathies are very much with you both.

I don't remember everything I read on it but it made me want to come off it well in advance of trying to conceive... I think it's more birth defects than miscarriage that's the worry though.

In between having our first and second child I was on finasteride and we accidentally conceived because we were drunk and it was new year... Sadly that was one of the miscarriages, but considering we'd already had a miscarriage previously (on no meds) it didn't really make me think it was because of that.

I'd say don't worry about it being the dutasteride but 100% would stop taking anything not just until you conceive but until the baby is born if it were me