Drinking Lots Of Soy Protein Isolate!

Pixie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm a very active guy, so I already drink protein, however since getting serious about my hair loss this year, I've eliminated most sources of dairy from my diet to reduce inflammation. I meant to replace my whey with soy sooner, but none of the supplement stores sell it anymore thanks to the soyboy memes.

From my minimal understanding: equol = good for hair, and equol is a byproduct of digesting soy products. Now my question is, would I still see benefits from drinking the isolate form of soy protein?

I'm going to be drinking at least 60mg of this stuff every day regardless, so ill be able to eventually see/document if there are any benefits.

Last edited:

Pixie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry for the self bump:

My order came in today, and I took 60g (2 scoops).

I'll document any effects/sides I encounter going forward.

Last edited:

mark16v

Established Member
Reaction score
I drank soy protein in 2012, 3 scoops before a workout, 3 after, 3 days a week. After about 3-6 months I started to develop a kidney stone, started with pains in my stomach which would come and go, then one day I hit the floor and it felt like I was dying / in labor.

I'm never drinking protein powder again, pretty sure it was whey, maybe the soy is better? but do some research online as to what ones give you kidney stones just my thoughts & good luck.

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm a very active guy, so I already drink protein, however since getting serious about my hair loss this year, I've eliminated most sources of dairy from my diet to reduce inflammation. I meant to replace my whey with soy sooner, but none of the supplement stores sell it anymore thanks to the soyboy memes.

From my minimal understanding: equol = good for hair, and equol is a byproduct of digesting soy products. Now my question is, would I still see benefits from drinking the isolate form of soy protein?

I'm going to be drinking at least 60mg of this stuff every day regardless, so ill be able to eventually see/document if there are any benefits.
Meh, stick with grass fed whole milk, the kind with the cream on top. Most soy is from unknown GMO sources.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I drank soy protein in 2012, 3 scoops before a workout, 3 after, 3 days a week. After about 3-6 months I started to develop a kidney stone, started with pains in my stomach which would come and go, then one day I hit the floor and it felt like I was dying / in labor.

I'm never drinking protein powder again, pretty sure it was whey, maybe the soy is better? but do some research online as to what ones give you kidney stones just my thoughts & good luck.

Like most things in medicine or the body no one knows a dam thing. All you will get is a nice cute list of possible things that MIGHT do something with kidney stones for some people. You might get them or might not. If you do pick some thing off the list to attribute it to. No one knows really
You very well might have got a kidney stone regardless of whether you ever touched protein powder. Its just how your organs process certain substances which varies by person

Pixie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I'm sorry to hear that you've had such an experience. I've consumed protein powder for years. Whey, Casein, pea, and even beef. Although I've neven had a problem like that, I'll be weary of symptoms going forward.

Meh, stick with grass fed whole milk, the kind with the cream on top. Most soy is from unknown GMO sources.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm specifically trying to avoid dairy in favor of soy for two reasons. 1. Dairy is highly inflammatory, and 2. Im trying to get positive hair results from the equol thats produced from the soy. The powder I'm buying from myprotein has no fillers.

Day 2 so far of 60g/day. I have had a persistent, strange sensation in my breast/nipple area. A tingling, almost ticklish feeling. It actually feels really good. This is very different from when I started finasteride. finasteride chest feelings we're more of a burning ache.

Pixie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Another self bump. Sorry.

It's been a week.

Hair:
seemingly less shedding with a definite reduction in itching.

Sides:
Kind of in a weird situation here. Everything is working fine. No brainfog, no drop in libido, erections still good, etc. The gyno-like symptoms have reduced, but flare up occasionally. Now I'm experiencing something weird. I feel a persistent pleasurable feeling in my genitals that varies in intensity. It seems to come from within them and radiate outwards. When it's particularly intense it reaches the pit of my stomach. There's no added sensitivity, and it's a very different feeling than sexual arousal. I've never heard of this symptom at all, but I'm guessing it has something to do with my prostate. Should I be concerned?

Dutchie

Established Member
Reaction score
Day 2 so far of 60g/day. I have had a persistent, strange sensation in my breast/nipple area. A tingling, almost ticklish feeling. It actually feels really good
Thats because of the soy your body is pumping out estrogen like crazy now

Pixie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thats because of the soy your body is pumping out estrogen like crazy now
I'm sure the phytoestrogens in soy are the culprit. Maybe that's the difference between the ache/burn I got on finasteride alone vs the tingling I got with soy and finasteride.

Pixie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Another self bump.

There's a definite reduction in shedding. I'm getting <10 hairs in the shower with vigorous scrubbing and pulling. Scalp is still a lot less itchy

The weird gyno and dick feelings went away 100%. Oddly enough my libido seems heightened.

As a reminder/disclaimer:

I'm on finasteride 1mg/day and I dermaroll once a week with 1.5mm. The soy is supplementary to my main treatments. It seems to help, but it's probably not a replacement for any of the big 4.