Dread Shed After I Went Back On 1x Per Day Minoxidil Instead Of 2x, How Can I Stop This??

Nano123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was using 2 mls of minoxidil twice daily = 4 mls for 5 or 6 months and the regrowth was great to be honest but I couldn't keep on applying it twice daily because my hair looks very greasy and even the foam is very hard to apply as I have longish hair and I didn't want to keep washing my hair every day, so I went back to once daily 2 mls per day and about a week ago I started shedding a bit but today I'm shedding A LOT of hair and lots of regrown hairs because they are short, and it seems exactly like my shed after completely stopping minoxidil 2 years ago. I decided to go back to twice daily minoxidil and also use nizoral again because I stopped using it but do you have an idea if I do this will the shedding stop soon or will I lose all what I gained then start from 0?
Also note that I've been taking Avodart around 3-4 days per week and it's been 2 months now so maybe I'm shedding because they will be replaced with thicker hairs or is this a slight chance?

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
why didnt you try minoxidil once a day 4mls? if you use only once a day youre supposed to increase the dose if you want to keep close to the same effect. you halved the dose, could well be why you shed.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
hey @IdealForehead ; you seem to have some knowledge man
according to you what is the chanc of having sides with duta ? more than fina ?
for a fina non responder duta can provide bettter result ?
do you think minoxidil worth it ? it can't make hair worse ? thx

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
@IdealForehead I highly doubt that, ive read more failure stories about avodart than success ones unfortunately. But if you do respond well the results would definitely be incredible

Nano123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
why didnt you try minoxidil once a day 4mls? if you use only once a day youre supposed to increase the dose if you want to keep close to the same effect. you halved the dose, could well be why you shed.
Good point, I'm not sure if 4 mls together would be the same as 2 mls twice a day because the half life of min is 22 hours which means that there are 2 hours where my follicles don't get good exposure to minoxidil, I will try the 4 mls in one application and see how it goes

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Good point, I'm not sure if 4 mls together would be the same as 2 mls twice a day because the half life of min is 22 hours which means that there are 2 hours where my follicles don't get good exposure to minoxidil, I will try the 4 mls in one application and see how it goes

Indeed its not supposed to be quite as effective, but close. Anyway its what Ive been doing for about 2 years and it does work. I think the key is to not miss a day, which is a lot easier to do when its only once a day.

Nano123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Indeed its not supposed to be quite as effective, but close. Anyway its what Ive been doing for about 2 years and it does work. I think the key is to not miss a day, which is a lot easier to do when its only once a day.
I'm not missing any days, I only missed two in the last 8 months or so, I am currently using 4 mls once a day and the shedding is getting worse. I used minoxidil for three months, two years ago and when I stopped it the shedding was the same! It's like I'm not using any Minoxidil.
I started using keto shampoo again as I found that I've had some dandruff in the past couple of weeks and maybe it's reducing the absorbed amount or preventing it all together :( it's very very stressful for me because after 8 months I've got a lot of regrowth and all of it is going away.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I kinda feel like any change in rountine can cause a shed. A few months ago I changed the brand I was using and also the amount, and I shed for a while. It did recover though. That said, if it doesnt, and you feel like the shed is being caused by switching to using it once a day, could you go back to twice a day? :)

Nano123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I kinda feel like any change in rountine can cause a shed. A few months ago I changed the brand I was using and also the amount, and I shed for a while. It did recover though. That said, if it doesnt, and you feel like the shed is being caused by switching to using it once a day, could you go back to twice a day? :)
I have been shedding baby hairs and long hair for a month so far and I didn't recover so I'm back on twice daily :) I hate it because of compliance issues and it ruins my hair and I need to wash it every day, but I'll do what I have to do to keep my sanity.

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
My hair is bipolar in response to rogaine. It sheds.... looks terrible for a week... and then comes back thicker than before. I really do wonder if minoxidil causes hair to shed every x amount of days and then grows it thicker. I have used it for 25 months now and my hair, when it’s not shedding, looks great. People can’t tell I’m balding.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My hair is bipolar in response to rogaine. It sheds.... looks terrible for a week... and then comes back thicker than before. I really do wonder if minoxidil causes hair to shed every x amount of days and then grows it thicker. I have used it for 25 months now and my hair, when it’s not shedding, looks great. People can’t tell I’m balding.

Did it come back?

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes. Even stronger!

That's great!! But I have to say... and you know I like you so I say this with all due respect... hair grows slowly. Like 1/8 inch a week, give or take. You know what I mean? So theres no way 1 week ago your hair density was much less and all diffuse. If your hair seems fine and normal now, like it was a few weeks ago, it was like this last week too. This is good news, not bad news...

Nano123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok so I increased my minoxidil dosage to 2 times 4 days a week, and the remaining 3 days I apply it only once (because I wake up very early for work and don't want greasy hair during the day), and I'm still shedding like crazy :) hella ot of baby hairs that were regrowing and some normal perfectly healthy hairs that are starting to miniaturize, how long do I need to wait to see improvement? do I still need to blast the dose to 2 x every single day? :/

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ok so I increased my minoxidil dosage to 2 times 4 days a week, and the remaining 3 days I apply it only once..........do I still need to blast the dose to 2 x every single day? :/

i dont think anyone will really be able to answer this. i will tell you though that my own use of the product has been to use it consistently once a day because ive felt that alternating between once and twice a day (i would do it for the same reason youre doing it) might get my hair out of sync with growth and trigger sheds. so perhaps you might try using just a tiny bit in the morning on days you work, not enough to make your hair greasy but just to stay consistent.

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's great!! But I have to say... and you know I like you so I say this with all due respect... hair grows slowly. Like 1/8 inch a week, give or take. You know what I mean? So theres no way 1 week ago your hair density was much less and all diffuse. If your hair seems fine and normal now, like it was a few weeks ago, it was like this last week too. This is good news, not bad news...

I know. But I have other medical conditions that may be playing a role. Because, look man, I’m not making it up lol I can literally feel a loss of density. Now I feel it being thicker. Remember, I have hypothyroidism and I am vitamin D deficient. So my situation is more complicated I guess

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I know. But I have other medical conditions that may be playing a role. Because, look man, I’m not making it up lol I can literally feel a loss of density. Now I feel it being thicker. Remember, I have hypothyroidism and I am vitamin D deficient. So my situation is more complicated I guess

Yeah but I mean, keeping it real, you cant suddenly have a lot more, thicker hair this week than last week. It's possible your hair last week was dry or something like that, so it felt thinner, but theres no way you actually had less hair.

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah but I mean, keeping it real, you cant suddenly have a lot more, thicker hair this week than last week. It's possible your hair last week was dry or something like that, so it felt thinner, but theres no way you actually had less hair.

I know man. Sounds crazy... but that’s what is happening lol