Dr. Rahal, 2803 grafts into the Crown. 16 months Post Op.

El Nino

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody!

I had a crown only hair transplant 16 months ago with Dr. Rahal in Ottawa and I'm thrilled with my result. Here are my pics including some details;

Level of loss: I was a Norwood 3 Vertex and had been for about 4 years.

Medications: Finastride 1.25mg E.O.D since January 2008 to present. Rogaine Foam 5% from April 2008 - February 2009.

Surgical Details: FUT method with Tricophytic closure. Area transplanted=60cm2. 2803 grafts, 188 singles, 1758 doubles, 857 triples = 6275 hairs.

Pre Op.
IMG_0566.jpg

Post Op.
IMG_0645.jpg

Pre Op - 5.5 months - 9 months - 12.5 months Comparison.
IMG_0558.jpg

16 months styled with gel to Pre Op comparison.
IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_05551.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
Crown work is so much easier than hairline. If I had to have any hairloss at all I would have preferred crown loss than a receding hairline. Great result man you must be thrilled. Congrats.

El Nino

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments guys.

GeminiX

Reaction score
Very good results indeed, looks like excellent work.

I've been thinking of a crown procedure myself, just for that extra density. My only concern is that great big bald spot I'll have to live with for a while; I'll look like some kind of Shao-Lin hippy woman :)

Def

Established Member
Reaction score
Yep - fantastic result!

Gives me hope, in fact. I am a crown thinner and while I have been maintaining (or very slowly losing) on finasteride and minoxidil, I know it can't last forever. I have a thick donor region and would hope to get results like yours in the hand of a great surgeon like Rahal if it comes to that...

Well done and thanks for posting.

Def

zack-b

Reaction score
EL Nino,

I am at the same spot loss wise where you were before the transplants and was thinking of Hasson and Wong. So you really liked Dr. Rahal? Which surgeon specifically worked on you? How much was it? Thanks.

-Zack

El Nino

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi zack-b,

It was Dr. Rahal himself who worked on me. I am really happy with my results and would highly recommend Dr. Rahal.

I paid about $10000 CAD for my hair transplant including flight, hotel, etc. See Dr. Rahal's website for his current prices. He offers a travel discount for international patients.

El Nino

Established Member
Reaction score
I started the meds after my hair transplant, I only take Finastride now. My hair had been like the pre op pics for about 4 years without drugs.

The transplanted area was 60cm2.

amsch

Reaction score
El Nino said:
I started the meds after my hair transplant, I only take Finastride now. My hair had been like the pre op pics for about 4 years without drugs.

Hm well, i think you should have tried meds first... I'm sure it would have brought you back a lot!

El Nino

Established Member
Reaction score
amsch said:
El Nino said:

Hm well, i think you should have tried meds first... I'm sure it would have brought you back a lot!

I'm not too sure. The meds usually regrow hair which hasn't long been lost.

And you'll notice I didn't have all my crown filled in and I haven't had any regrowth in the area which was left. And there's a lot of weaker hairs in there as well which haven't even thickened up.

amsch

Reaction score
El Nino said:
amsch said:
[quote="El Nino":2zlexccb]I started the meds after my hair transplant, I only take Finastride now. My hair had been like the pre op pics for about 4 years without drugs.

I'm not too sure. The meds usually regrow hair which hasn't long been lost.

And you'll notice I didn't have all my crown filled in and I haven't had any regrowth in the area which was left. And there's a lot of weaker hairs in there as well which haven't even thickened up.[/quote:2zlexccb]

How should they have thickened up if you didn't use any meds prior? :woot:

El Nino

Established Member
Reaction score
amsch said:
How should they have thickened up if you didn't use any meds prior? :woot:

Having a hair transplant will not stop you getting regrowth in a non transplanted area with the use of meds.

All I know for fact is, I have been on Finastride for 16 months and I used Minoxidil for 10 months. And I haven't had any regrowth or thickening in the area just below the transplant.

FFS

Reaction score
Why did he leave out that little area on the back of the vertex? that would have just been a couple hundred grafts more and it would look much better...
But the result still looks very good!

El Nino

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks FFS.

Dr. Rahal left that area because I have more native hair there which is weak and he was afraid of shockloss. And there was a chance the meds could have regrew or thickened it up.

The back part of the crown takes up more grafts as well so it would need more than a couple of hundred, especially if I lost the native hair in there through shockloss.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Good to remember as well that the crown is like a black hole for grafts, it really swallows them up, the Doctor would have to be careful not to use too much of El Nino's donor and save some for possible future loss. :)

Reaction score
Awesome results, your hair looks just like that of a twenty year old if I may say. How did it make you feel? I would pay a lot of money for results like that!

El Nino

Established Member
Reaction score
Cheers mate.

I feel great with my new hair and I can have different styles now. Before I had to keep it really short, but the bald spot was still noticible because the rest of my hair is thick. For me, having a hair transplant was one of the best decisions I've made.

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
Just have to say again, I'm very happy for you. I can imagine how life changing it must be. Don't waste it buddy, hope all goes well in the future.