Dr Klein Hair Growth Md Closing-check Here For Alternative!

cobill

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm preparing for my first order thru MAA for topical finasteride and 15% minoxidil. I had bad side effects from taking 1 mg Finasteride oral daily and quit after only 2 weeks. Question- what recommended dosage of topical Finasteride .025% or .050% do you guys recommend I purchase, to potentially prevent side effects?

The only online recommendation, found while researching, to prevent systemic absorption of topical Finasteride was .05% - .1%

Bill

cobill

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, nobody replied to my question and I just placed my order for topical Finasterid .050% and 15% Minoxidil. When I questioned the pharmacist, she said nobody has asked them for a lower than .10% Finasterid topical mixture on their 2nd order, so they assume nobody hasn't had any sides?:confused:

On another thread, study from Jan 2016 was discussing .250% Finasteride (Caserini et al) and their test subjects didn't have any sides?

Bill

dale2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had the same question (what's a safe dosage that avoids side effects), researched it for about a week and eventually gave up on finding an answer. What I learned is that first of all there is no such thing as "topical fina," there are three different formulations (standard solution, HPCH spray, liposomal gel) and studies only apply to a given type. For example, the Caserini studies are for the HPCH spray, so I wouldn't take those values and use them as reference to prepare/prescribe a compounded solution. The good news is that that same formulation will soon reach the market backed by a reputable pharma company... Second, it's not as simple as reducing the dosage because even very low doses can lead to significant systemic presence due to a number of other factors (quantity, frequency, and modality of application combined with individual differences for example related to scalp skin) and the characteristics of the drug itself. EDIT: not to mention accumulation, an issue closely related to concentration. When you also consider that any residue on the skin or hair is potentially dangerous for females, you understand why there is a lot of research focused on how to make fina (1) reach the follicles without leaving residue and (2) stay there without going systemic. They have tried injections and a variety of different vehicles but I don't know if they have found a solution that is really safe. So, in the current situation, all you can do is trust your doctor, after all every compounded medication should be prescribed by a dr. in a formulation and with instructions that are specific to you.

Last edited:

jazz1

Reaction score
Hi guys sorry for the late reply I was away and back now. Right to clarify myself and few people I know in the UK that use the mixture. When I first took finesteride brand Propecia at 1mg dosage I had side effects 9 years ago. I was not determined to give up, so I took horny goat weed and zinc that helped remove my sexual side effects at the time.

When I researched online back in 2010, I found a company called Genhair they sold topical 0.025% finesteride only. I used this mixture every third day as finesteride has a half life of 72 hours. This worked great, but was not good enough for regrowth. I used this method for 6 months and than switched to 0.1% topical finesteride. I been using this mixture now since 2011, my hair is still great and 0 side effects.

A good forum friend of mine recently bought 0.1% as he had side effects for 1mg orally. So far he is doing great, less shedding and no scalp itch plus 0 sides effects.

Start with the 0.025% and increase after 6 months to 1 year if your not happy with the results. Topical finesteride method will give you less side effects compared to orally. To add you have to switch your thinking thought process to a positive output and believe you will not have side effects. I would supplement with some horny goat weed and extra multi vitamin this should help minimize any sides effects. The more you stress and think about sides effects the more this will happen with your body chemistry.

Kambrira159

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, nobody replied to my question and I just placed my order for topical Finasterid .050% and 15% Minoxidil. When I questioned the pharmacist, she said nobody has asked them for a lower than .10% Finasterid topical mixture on their 2nd order, so they assume nobody hasn't had any sides?:confused:

On another thread, study from Jan 2016 was discussing .250% Finasteride (Caserini et al) and their test subjects didn't have any sides?

Bill

Caserini didn't note any side effects but observed blood serum levels, and the study noted that actually ~0.025% (0.2275 mg) was the favoured dosage in terms of best scalp to serum dht ratio.

You can always use 0.05% and take 0.5mg daily. That will give you what you need.