Do's And Don't Of Styling Your Hair System

seanvandamme

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I will be getting my new hair system in a couple of weeks and would like to have some tips for styling it with or without product.

What are some do's and don'ts for styling hair systems that most newbies should be aware of?

@Noah @BaldBearded @new2this

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Things I wished I had known about styling when I got my first system:

Avoid hairspray.
Use lots of leave-in conditioner for styling purposes.
Don't leave the hair dry and expect it to look normal. This hair isn't alive and will look "dead" unless you put some effort into it.
A more realistic style is one that isn't perfect. Try creating a style where you brush/comb it, and then ruffle through the hair with your fingers.

Last edited:

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
on days when I"m in the office, I use just a bit fo hair oil on my system. A little bit goes a long way! put a couple drops in my palm and run my hands thru my hair. Gives me a bit of richness to my hair color, and makes it easy to see the gray hair I put in my system. Seeing the gray helps in the 'realistic' look of the system. Applying it to dry hair works best for me. Sometimes I need to do this again about midday.

If I'm going to be outside all day, sometimes I'll use a bit of hair gel on slightly damp hair. When I sweat, the hair on the sides of my head get wet from the sweat, but atop my head does not. This help lessen that start contract - and keeps it in place.

Noah

Reaction score
Some really good practical tips there from Diesel and DegD.

My number one tip is to come up with a style you are happy with that doesn't involve a totally exposed hairline. I don't mean you shouldn't aim to have a good-looking undetectable hairline, but achieving that is something that many newbies struggle with at the start, and if you are trying to keep your switch to a system on the down low why make your life more difficult and edgy than it needs to be? Even for experienced wearers, the hairline is still the #1 place where a hair system can look detectable. There are plenty of good looking styles with a covered or partially covered hairline. I personally like a style where you brush the hair forward at the front and flick it up with a bit of paste - the hairline is visible, but always in the shade of the hair.
IMG_1541.jpg
I find that gives me a bit of cover just in case anything goes wrong, like a little bit of lace coming adrift.

I like argan oil as a product, because it seems to soak into the hair and/or evaporate, so it doesn't make the hair heavy like some other products.

Last edited:

seanvandamme

My Regimen
Reaction score
Things I wished I had known about styling when I got my first system:

Avoid hairspray.
Use lots of leave-in conditioner for styling purposes.
Don't leave the hair dry and expect it to look normal. This hair isn't alive and will look "dead" unless you put some effort into to.
A more realistic style is one that isn't perfect. Try creating a style where you brush/comb it, and then ruffle through the hair with your fingers.

Thanks for the tips pal!

Would you care to explain why we should avoid hairspray? Do you also spray leave-in conditioner before or after you style with product?

I'll be extra careful to make my hair look extra imperfect :)

seanvandamme

My Regimen
Reaction score
on days when I"m in the office, I use just a bit fo hair oil on my system. A little bit goes a long way! put a couple drops in my palm and run my hands thru my hair. Gives me a bit of richness to my hair color, and makes it easy to see the gray hair I put in my system. Seeing the gray helps in the 'realistic' look of the system. Applying it to dry hair works best for me. Sometimes I need to do this again about midday.

If I'm going to be outside all day, sometimes I'll use a bit of hair gel on slightly damp hair. When I sweat, the hair on the sides of my head get wet from the sweat, but atop my head does not. This help lessen that start contract - and keeps it in place.

Hey Diesel, thanks for the tips.

I notice that new hairpieces always look extra shiny and poofy. Does hair oil help to achieve that look? I'm thinking I might want to try avoiding that as I don't wanna draw extra attention to my hair.

Could you elaborate on what you meant by 'start contract' and how exactly hair gel actually prevents that?

Thanks!

seanvandamme

My Regimen
Reaction score

My number one tip is to come up with a style you are happy with that doesn't involve a totally exposed hairline. I don't mean you shouldn't aim to have a good-looking undetectable hairline, but achieving that is something that many newbies struggle with at the start, and if you are trying to keep your switch to a system on the down low why make your life more difficult and edgy than it needs to be? Even for experienced wearers, the hairline is still the #1 place where a hair system can look detectable. There are plenty of good looking styles with a covered or partially covered hairline. I personally like a style where you brush the hair forward at the front and flick it up with a bit of paste - the hairline is visible, but always in the shade of the hair.
View attachment 145680
I find that gives me a bit of cover just in case anything goes wrong, like a little bit of lace coming adrift.

I like argan oil as a product, because it seems to soak into the hair and/or evaporate, so it doesn't make the hair heavy like some other products.

Hi Noah, thanks for the tips.

Would thinner bases like a 0.03mm UTS or swiss lace also put you at risk of a detectable hairline?

I'm Chinese with jet black hair and I'm hard-pressed to find a look without an exposed hairline that isn't korean bangs. I've honestly outgrown that look after my teenage years and am looking for a shorter and neater style that's suitable for working in a bank. Would you happen to have any recommended styles?

Also, does argan oil help to make your hair shinier? When do you apply it?

Noah

Reaction score
0.03 mil skin and lace are definitely the best bases for an undetectable hairline. But everyone has an occasional off day when their system is not at its best, and when that happens the place where it is most likely to manifest itself as a giveaway is at the hairline. If you have a decent system with a good colour match and you don't have an exposed hairline, it is virtually impossible for anyone to tell by looking at you that it is not all natural. An exposed hairline is the usual point of vulnerability for any telltale signs.

Here are a few hairstyles off the Internet for Chinese men which are the equivalent of what I am talking about - with a semi-exposed hairline, but one that is in shadow. (Well maybe not that last one). No need to go for the androgynous K-Pop look.

B596002E-1BF7-4B92-BA6D-C177BABF8358-1608-000001DB59B85CE2.jpg 2FED3EC5-FAAE-4F7C-8503-232B6C50D5CD-1608-000001DB4D32C91F.jpg EE012210-4414-4D4E-907E-F0EA0C01BCB9-1608-000001DB3665E912.jpg 8A098715-AF38-45BC-9F08-98489592CA23-1608-000001DB85E59693.jpg

Yes, argan oil keeps you hair glossy and hydrated. I put a pea-size drop of it on in the morning every second or third day, as required.

George Hen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The health of the system is the priority here so, instead of using hairspray or gels or heavy products, use argan oil or mousse products and create a style that way. This helps to keep the system hair healthy and gives you a style.

The reality is that you’ll never get the extravagant styles you maybe dreamed of - the health of the system and realistic look are what you should aim for instead.

no point in having a cool style with products which will ruin your system after a month or two, or which will make it obvious you suddenly have tons of hair.

Better to use argan oil products which enrich the hair and can help a system last for several months if used the right way.
Compromise is a key word with wearing a system imo.

I never try to style my hair - I just go for a smart cut (on the shorter side to promote longevity of the system/prevent tangles) and sometimes use argan oil, but only when I think the hair would benefit rather than because I want to style it.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
The one caveat about Aragan oil... it can darken the color of the hair... so use it sparingly. But it is excellent stuff... I add it to my leave in conditioner for myself, and clients. It is also an additive to my famous beard oil.

seanvandamme

My Regimen
Reaction score
0.03 mil skin and lace are definitely the best bases for an undetectable hairline. But everyone has an occasional off day when their system is not at its best, and when that happens the place where it is most likely to manifest itself as a giveaway is at the hairline. If you have a decent system with a good colour match and you don't have an exposed hairline, it is virtually impossible for anyone to tell by looking at you that it is not all natural. An exposed hairline is the usual point of vulnerability for any telltale signs.

Here are a few hairstyles off the Internet for Chinese men which are the equivalent of what I am talking about - with a semi-exposed hairline, but one that is in shadow. (Well maybe not that last one). No need to go for the androgynous K-Pop look.

View attachment 145684 View attachment 145683 View attachment 145682 View attachment 145685

Yes, argan oil keeps you hair glossy and hydrated. I put a pea-size drop of it on in the morning every second or third day, as required.

Thanks for the tip, Noah. I'm going to reattach my HS every week so I'm not that concerned about lifting, especially since I'll be using a scalp protector along with the adhesives. That said, i see your point about the security that a non-exposed hairline style can give. The styles in the second and third photos are probably what I'll be going for if my experience with an exposed hairline doesn't go as well as it should.

Do you apply argan oil on dry or damp hair? Before or after applying product?

seanvandamme

My Regimen
Reaction score
The health of the system is the priority here so, instead of using hairspray or gels or heavy products, use argan oil or mousse products and create a style that way. This helps to keep the system hair healthy and gives you a style.

The reality is that you’ll never get the extravagant styles you maybe dreamed of - the health of the system and realistic look are what you should aim for instead.

no point in having a cool style with products which will ruin your system after a month or two, or which will make it obvious you suddenly have tons of hair.

Better to use argan oil products which enrich the hair and can help a system last for several months if used the right way.
Compromise is a key word with wearing a system imo.

I never try to style my hair - I just go for a smart cut (on the shorter side to promote longevity of the system/prevent tangles) and sometimes use argan oil, but only when I think the hair would benefit rather than because I want to style it.

I'm probably just going to stick with wax, clay or pomade for styling. Would you be able to share a few examples of mousse products you've personally used?

I definitely see the point of a shorter cut. In fact, I might go for one myself just to keep styling simple. I've also attached a photo of a Chinese celebrity who wears a hair system. I'm looking to go for his style but don't think it would be possible to achieve that kind of hold on the frontal hair without some kind of product.

What do you think?

Attachments

• hxm.jpg
    hxm.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 178

seanvandamme

My Regimen
Reaction score
The one caveat about Aragan oil... it can darken the color of the hair... so use it sparingly. But it is excellent stuff... I add it to my leave in conditioner for myself, and clients. It is also an additive to my famous beard oil.

Good stuff! I already have thick side and back hair so Argan oil would probably fit in perfectly into my routine.

Thank you!

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm probably just going to stick with wax, clay or pomade for styling. Would you be able to share a few examples of mousse products you've personally used?

I definitely see the point of a shorter cut. In fact, I might go for one myself just to keep styling simple. I've also attached a photo of a Chinese celebrity who wears a hair system. I'm looking to go for his style but don't think it would be possible to achieve that kind of hold on the frontal hair without some kind of product.

What do you think?

Go with as light a hold on product that you can. Mousse tends to be sticky, and has alcohol. Matte clay is a good option. You DO want to rinse these OUT of your hair... as keeping them in, and adding more on top of them will be harmful to the system.

seanvandamme

My Regimen
Reaction score
Go with as light a hold on product that you can. Mousse tends to be sticky, and has alcohol. Matte clay is a good option. You DO want to rinse these OUT of your hair... as keeping them in, and adding more on top of them will be harmful to the system.

I've used mousse before and have to admit that I'm not a fan of its wet and sticky look. Surprisingly, the product that I have right now is a matte clay called joico ice erratic molding clay. Guess that should be fine.

Also, do I have to always shampoo product off my hair or would just conditioner be fine?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've used mousse before and have to admit that I'm not a fan of its wet and sticky look. Surprisingly, the product that I have right now is a matte clay called joico ice erratic molding clay. Guess that should be fine.

Also, do I have to always shampoo product off my hair or would just conditioner be fine?

Joico used to make amazing products... if I recall... when I had hair. LOL

I don't condition every time. I find the leave in is enough.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips pal!

Would you care to explain why we should avoid hairspray? Do you also spray leave-in conditioner before or after you style with product?

I'll be extra careful to make my hair look extra imperfect :)
Hairsprays contain alcohol. Alcohol dries.

Fanjeera

Reaction score

View attachment 145680

So you use no leave-in conditioner, just the argain oil product for this purpose?

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My pieces have become so short that the only styling product I use is a leave-in spray conditioner. I use one specifically made for human hair wigs. It is a little pricey than the other ones (and there are tons of them) it is called "Awesome wig leave-in conditioner spray" I use it like water! Of course, I don't use the bottle it comes in...they never spray well anyway. I purchased a few spray bottles on eBay and use them.

Noah

Reaction score
Do you apply argan oil on dry or damp hair? Before or after applying product?

Usually on dry hair. I don't really use any other product except sometimes a tiny bit of wax on the front.

I didn't know Huang Xiaoming wears a system. When did that come out?