Does your hairloss cause you significant daily stress?

JohnC43

Established Member
Reaction score
It bothers me almost every time I step into wind, see it revealed or feel cold air on the vertex.

It frequently is so debilitating that I become much less productive and shut down, it may sound weak but I get overwhelmed by stress.

How much daily stress do you get, and how much does it interfere with your life?

kthxbi

Established Member
Reaction score
quite a lot. i'm still nw2 i think, probably 6months away from a nw3 at a guess and 18. sure it's not that bad compared to a lot of you guys but im very conscious about the size of my forhead now which doesnt do me any favours at all (i had a pretty big head in the first place so now its HYUUUUUGE). i dont like people touching my hair when it used to be pretty funny to let people muck around with it, and i also get really paranoid about people standing behind me - i know i dont have a bald spot but somehow ive got that paranoia already. general worry about my appearance really, although i'd be fine with my hairloss if only i knew it wouldn't get worse.

Obsidian

Reaction score
*Wait for it*

Not terribly, maybe when I am not keeping myself occupied, but I am trying so hard to get a job right now, it is definitely not the first thing on my mind.

Hoppi

Reaction score
Erm.. it depends on my mood.

Usually I think I deal with it by just researching more and more into why it happened and learning the best ways to stop it (I guess that's why I cling so much to this constructive outlet, because otherwise I probably would be FREAKING out! lol).

Ori83

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Usually i dont think about it, but some days it feels as people are looking directly into my scalp instead of my eyes, this is very insulting... makes me feel very self conscious and helpless, other-wise i wouldnt be thinking about it much.

Draco88

Established Member
Reaction score
Depends if it's styled the way i want it to be during the day. If i can't get it right in the morning, then i just go about the rest of the day in a bad/unhappy mood. If it is styled properly then i'm fine. Sounds pathetic but i can't help it.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Yes but what really makes it worse is seeing older men with better heads of hair and perfect hairlines than mine. Also knowing the fact that a hair transplant could thicken up my hairline but at the same time cause shock loss and make things worse. I want a hair transplant so bad but the thought of making my hair situation worse would stress me out even more. :shock:

Draco88

Established Member
Reaction score
^^Oh i hear you on seeing older men with better heads of hair :thumbdown2: worst of all for me is seeing my dad with better hair than me, seeing my first cousin with better hair than me, whose father happens to be the only one in the family who is bald... :thumbdown2:

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Whenever I go out without a hat on then the inevitable happens and I find myself having to supress my rage again.

Maelstrom

Established Member
Reaction score
JohnC43 said:
It bothers me almost every time I step into wind, see it revealed or feel cold air on the vertex.

Oh man, I'm with you on all the above! Whenever I have a rare good hair day it's like everything changes - my self-esteem, self-confidence etc shoots up and it gives me a taste of what I would be like if it were not for hair loss (and my skin probs admitedly).

I'm ashamed to say that it causes me a great deal of stress, anxiety and depression. My body-image was very low for years before male pattern baldness...but with male pattern baldness...well, sometimes I just wanna curl up and die :(

slipy

Reaction score
Hair loss affects me very deeply actually to a point where i no longer care about my own life.
For past few weeks i've been experiencing chest pain in the heart area which makes me suspect i might be suffering from a serious heart disease. but hell i don't feel like seeking medical assistance because i don't want to be trapped in a bald man's body anyway.

I don't have the guts to raise my hand against myself, but if nature decides to off me i'm not gonna stand in it's way.

Obsidian

Reaction score
slipy said:
Hair loss affects me very deeply actually to a point where i no longer care about my own life.
For past few weeks i've been experiencing chest pain in the heart area which makes me suspect i might be suffering from a serious heart disease. but hell i don't feel like seeking medical assistance because i don't want to be trapped in a bald man's body anyway.

I don't have the guts to raise my hand against myself, but if nature decides to off me i'm not gonna stand in it's way.

I feel like slapping you in the face.

slipy

Reaction score
Don't you ever get tired of trolling in the impact section? i've noticed you always seem to like to annoy people. Is this your idea of fun?

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i live under a bandanna (it's my version of living under a hat) and it really annoys me when i get thrown into a social situation where it is "socially unacceptable" to wear it
I do get unbelievably angry at my father (it was his side that carried the gene) because it was him who did this to me and the matter of fact is that he didn't HAVE to have children
and i would never want to be a father myself because i know i would be part of the problem and by not having kids i know i am part of the solution

slipy

Reaction score
i got my male pattern baldness from my father as well, but for some reason i can't get angry at him. Besides he thought baldness only comes from mother's side so he didn't realize it would affect me. I get more annoyed by my mother, she doesn't want to realize it's genetic and always tells me "maybe it's because of the shampoo you use '' or some other bullshit.

I also hate the world and wan't everyone to f*****g die.

giggle

Reaction score
slipy said:
For past few weeks i've been experiencing chest pain in the heart area which makes me suspect i might be suffering from a serious heart disease.

if you are twenty something and never had a heart condition before, a "serious heart disease" seems unlikely. could well be some intercostal neuralgia that in most cases is a (somewhat minor) stress related issue, and include symptoms like chest pain, reduced capacity to breathe in, diffuse pain in the back and the arms

the only way to know is to see a doctor though

theShade

Reaction score
i live under a bandanna (it's my version of living under a hat) and it really annoys me when i get thrown into a social situation where it is "socially unacceptable" to wear it
I do get unbelievably angry at my father (it was his side that carried the gene) because it was him who did this to me and the matter of fact is that he didn't HAVE to have children
and i would never want to be a father myself because i know i would be part of the problem and by not having kids i know i am part of the solution

1. Your whole post is just too funny.
2. Just because you went bald young, doesn't mean your son will, or indeed that he will go bald at all until well into his 40s/50s/60s. Marry a woman whose family has no hairloss if you're that worried.
3. You can always just raise a daughter; see this article for advice on how to raise/lower the chances of fathering a daughter: http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0076.htm
4. Most likely by the time your kid grows up in 2-3 decades time, the problem would have been solved for good anyway.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
"Yes but what really makes it worse is seeing older men with better heads of hair and perfect hairlines than mine."

Definitely with you on that one Dr. House, I'm 24 and almost a NW3, while my lucky bastard of an older brother is now 30 and has a perfect NW1 hairline! :sobbing:

Also given that I cycle to work most days, the wind gets me all the time! Doesn't matter how much time I spend elaborately styling it, by the time I've got to work in the morning's any style my hair had has gone completely and once again I look like Jack Nicholson! This is a constant stress as everyday, I find myself going to the bathroom 3 or 4 times a day to sort my hair out and make it look reasonable.

I had a really cool hat that I used to wear on windy days when cycling to prevent this problem, but then last month some muthaf*cka at my local gym stole it! :bigun2: