Does Your Hair Flow In One Direction Or Many When Your Brush/comb It? [vid]

Laconian

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been looking at lordhair recently and they've got a new "premium" system for sale with "high quality remy hair" that flows in the "same direction" as opposed to "different directions" when you brush/comb it. (https://www.lordhair.com/champion-remy-full-lace-hairpieces-for-men.html)

I'd imagine the difference is something like in this vid:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Biyz7lZnKe5/

My system is definitely like the one on the left in that vid. And I would hope that the "premium" system over at lordhair would be like the one on the right.

So I'm curious. How many of you have a system that flows as beautifully and naturally as the one on the right in the vid and if you bought it online how much did it cost you?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
When I first got my systems, yes they flow in all directions. Once they are cut, and get used to a style, they tend to stay that way... this is what "FREESTYLE" venting is all about.

Nothing NEW or revolutionary about what Lordhair is doing. Yes, Remy hair is of better quality than just standard Indian hair.

Noah

Reaction score
I would say mine are more like the one on the right when they are new, but they get more like the one on the left as they age, and that is one of the signs that it's time to replace them. There are various factors which could influence it, including the hair quality, the age of the hair, how well conditioned it is, whether it still has the silicone coating that the factories put on new systems, and whether it has been knotted freestyle or in some particular direction.

In this context the reference to "remy" hair is just marketing puff. In French "remis" means "handed over". Correctly used, remy hair means hair which has been bought from the person who grew it and kept in its original swatch, so that it is all aligned in the same direction - i.e. all the scalp ends together. That implies that the hair has been carefully collected and carefully looked after in the subsequent processing; so true remy hair is a higher grade more expensive product than the basic Indian or Chinese hair. Remy hair is less inclined to tangle, because the cuticles of the hair (the tiny overlapping scales on the surface of the individual hairs) are all aligned. For that reason, the cuticles can be left on it, which means the hair is less processed and stronger.

That is a valuable characteristic if you are buying hair extensions or a long-haired wig. But in the context of a man's hair system, not so much. Each hair used in a knotted hair system creates two hairs on the system, with a knot in the middle attaching them to the base. So the benefit of true remy hair is wasted, because inevitably once the hair is knotted onto the base, one end of the original hair will be aligned one way, and the other end will be aligned the other way. If the cuticles of the hair were left on, they would cause tangling. Therefore on knotted hair systems the cuticle always has to be removed from the hair by chemical processing. So when sellers talk about remy hair in the context of a man's hair system, it doesn't really have any sensible meaning. True remy hair doesn't work on a knotted hair system.

However, there certainly are different qualities of hair, and one sign of a good quality hairpiece and a good quality manufacturer is that after the silicone coating has been removed the hair is still silky and tangle free.

Noah

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for this detailed explanation Noah. I always doubt vendors claims on origin and type of hair. In my case now, it really doesn't matter as I have switched to synthetic LOL..
But again thanks for enlightening us on the remy / cutticle direction...I had always wondered how the can claim that, when when seeing how a hair piece is ventilated, the knot is done in the middle of the lenght of hair, so one side of the knot obviously goes in other direction...

As for the instagram video, not sure what the guy is trying to prove, but the piece on the left is more static and has shorter hair.. notice, on the right hand side piece, that the stylist avoids brushing hair in the front , and that the hair is longer, so obviously heavier...

ventilation ( how the hair is knotted...https://www.hairdirect.com/learn/hairsystems/custom/design/ventilationstyle) is the key in the hairpiece style & direction. Stock pieces don't give you much options, but customs do.

Last edited:

Laconian

My Regimen
Reaction score
Very informative post, Noah. In that case when I'm ready to get my next system (which isn't even close at this point), I'll probably go for LH's basic stock French lace unit. I want to see the quality of their systems and try out their base + hair cut in service. I could end up saving almost 50% so I want to see if the quality is comparable to what I have now.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for this detailed explanation Noah. I always doubt vendors claims on origin and type of hair. In my case now, it really doesn't matter as I have switched to synthetic LOL..
But again thanks for enlightening us on the remy / cutticle direction...I had always wondered how the can claim that, when when seeing how a hair piece is ventilated, the knot is done in the middle of the lenght of hair, so one side of the knot obviously goes in other direction...

As for the instagram video, not sure what the guy is trying to prove, but the piece on the left is more static and has shorter hair.. notice, on the right hand side piece, that the stylist avoids brushing hair in the front , and that the hair is longer, so obviously heavier...

ventilation ( how the hair is knotted...https://www.hairdirect.com/learn/hairsystems/custom/design/ventilationstyle) is the key in the hairpiece style & direction. Stock pieces don't give you much options, but customs do.

How is synthetic hair compared to human?

I heard Burt Reynolds, William Shatner & a ton of other stars use the services of Edward Katz, who only uses synthetic hairs in his pieces: http://edwardkatzhairdesign.com/

Apparently, it doesn't tangle or lose color - among other things.

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How is synthetic hair compared to human?

I heard Burt Reynolds, William Shatner & a ton of other stars use the services of Edward Katz, who only uses synthetic hairs in his pieces: http://edwardkatzhairdesign.com/

Apparently, it doesn't tangle or lose color - among other things.

Correct that it keeps its color and tangles less. I can only speak for grey hair. I used to insist only on human grey hair, until i tried a synthetic hairpiece ( same price as human hair from an online supplier)

Although the texture is coarser, synthetic hair is stronger than human grey hair which happens to be very processed ( bleached, dyed) hair. My human hairpieces would shed like crazy after 2 weeks, and would not last more that 5 or 6 weeks. I wear low density lace pieces which should last 3 months.. I get that with synthetic.

Also, I find it easier to wash the piece when I do my maintenance. No fussing with special shampoos, conditioners, etc,, just a grease cutting dish soap works. The synthetic keeps its sheen, just as a nylon string would.

Lastly, the synthetic hair isn't as frizzy as human... works for me, but that may not be a good solution for those wanting curly wavy hair. Synthetic looses the factory curls quickly and becomes straight .

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Correct that it keeps its color and tangles less. I can only speak for grey hair. I used to insist only on human grey hair, until i tried a synthetic hairpiece ( same price as human hair from an online supplier)

Although the texture is coarser, synthetic hair is stronger than human grey hair which happens to be very processed ( bleached, dyed) hair. My human hairpieces would shed like crazy after 2 weeks, and would not last more that 5 or 6 weeks. I wear low density lace pieces which should last 3 months.. I get that with synthetic.

Also, I find it easier to wash the piece when I do my maintenance. No fussing with special shampoos, conditioners, etc,, just a grease cutting dish soap works. The synthetic keeps its sheen, just as a nylon string would.

Lastly, the synthetic hair isn't as frizzy as human... works for me, but that may not be a good solution for those wanting curly wavy hair. Synthetic looses the factory curls quickly and becomes straight .

I will only add one thing.

All synthetic hair is NOT the same. The hair that I ordered from one vendor, BX hair, started to frizz after just a couple of months. My current vendor supplies synthetic hair of a far superior quality, and it lasts longer than human hair.

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I will only add one thing.

All synthetic hair is NOT the same. The hair that I ordered from one vendor, BX hair, started to frizz after just a couple of months. My current vendor supplies synthetic hair of a far superior quality, and it lasts longer than human hair.

Right. I assume different factories use different products. I am told by my supplier that they use kanekalon.

another point I forgot to mention is heat resistance.... Synthetic is less tolerent to heat. ( never use iron or high heat setting on hair dryer)

rme

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been looking at lordhair recently and they've got a new "premium" system for sale with "high quality remy hair" that flows in the "same direction" as opposed to "different directions" when you brush/comb it. (https://www.lordhair.com/champion-remy-full-lace-hairpieces-for-men.html)

I'd imagine the difference is something like in this vid:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Biyz7lZnKe5/

My system is definitely like the one on the left in that vid. And I would hope that the "premium" system over at lordhair would be like the one on the right.

So I'm curious. How many of you have a system that flows as beautifully and naturally as the one on the right in the vid and if you bought it online how much did it cost you?

Dear Laconian. please let me know, if you bought the remy hair system from LH's.
I would be interested in your opinion about this hair.
Thank you !

rme

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Noah,[/QUOTE]

Dear Noah! Hi again, I wear the part2 of hair, but...oh the hair line.. it's not good :( very not good.
I tried bleaching but nothing. (just little result)

Noah

Reaction score
Hi RME, do you want to PM me a photo, and I will see if I can suggest anything?

Laconian

My Regimen
Reaction score
@rme I bought the system about a month ago and I can now say that I'm very satisfied with the price to quality ratio. However you should note that I wear an unexposed hairline. I wouldn't recommend the S7 if you wear an exposed hairline because the S7 doesn't have a graduated hairline and in my opinion the density is too high especially if you're over the age of 35. I'd consider getting the Q6 for a graduated hairline.

But generally the shipping was fast, the quality is good, and the base cut-in and haircut were fine too. I'll definitely be ordering again in the future.

You can read more about my experience here:
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...-base-cut-in-and-haircut.125053/#post-1842723

rme

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@rme I bought the system about a month ago and I can now say that I'm very satisfied with the price to quality ratio. However you should note that I wear an unexposed hairline. I wouldn't recommend the S7 if you wear an exposed hairline because the S7 doesn't have a graduated hairline and in my opinion the density is too high especially if you're over the age of 35. I'd consider getting the Q6 for a graduated hairline.

But generally the shipping was fast, the quality is good, and the base cut-in and haircut were fine too. I'll definitely be ordering again in the future.

You can read more about my experience here:
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...-base-cut-in-and-haircut.125053/#post-1842723

Thank you! And you use the new remy stock lord hair now? lace?