Does Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy really work?

He-Bat

Established Member
Reaction score
Does Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy really work? Can it be used instead of finasteride for those who can't take it? I hear Feller and Cole and others are using PRP?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
In some cases it may and some cases it may not. All treatments require trial and error. The best responders to PRP are those with very little loss however it did help on someone with a NW7 on a small section. Some people are getting it done twice so they must have experienced something positive from it the first time around. Its a gamble like all hair transplant treatments. If you have the money to gamble, then go for it. If not, don't bother and stick to rogaine and propecia. I took the gamble and had it done and now I will wait and see if it thickens up my hairs and prevents further loss. If it fails, then I won't do it again. If it works, I will get it done again. I think if it did not help some people, the treatment would no longer be used. Don't have high expectations from this type of treatments as it is not long term and it may only work for a small percentage of people. I use rogaine and propecia yet they have failed to improve my hair recently. I needed something else to try to boost my results. My hopes are that I will be the select few that get some positive results although I have heard from the doctor doing this procedure that he has positive results with a large amount of people.

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
the only cases i have read of PRP "working" is with AA but however many cases of AA regrow without treatment therefore making it a grey area
no proper scientific study has been carried out on PRP so i can just throw it in the bollocks bin

it seems like a scam beacuse it is a procedure that is chargeing 1000's for what?, a doctor to centrifuge your blood and inject it back in
i remeber speaking with "doctors" on bald truth talk and they failed to convince me it works

He-Bat

Established Member
Reaction score
There are many doctors that believe in PRP, like dr. Feller. I don't believe it's a scam.

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
He-Bat said:
There are many doctors that believe in PRP, like dr. Feller. I don't believe it's a scam.
http://blog.drrobertjones.com/, he mentions that only 1 out of 36 patients he has treated showed results from PRP which could be coincidental or from another treatment (since it wasn't a strict scientific study it could of been hair growth from propecia or minoxidil)
i put forward this information because it was the closest thing to a study on the bald truth and 1 of the doctors replied that his treatment has a "patented protein matrix" and started advertising that.
it is a therapy condemned by what i would consider much more reputable people like dr rassman (i know some people don't like him but he is probably the most reputable hairloss doctors i have come across)

cuebald

Reaction score
From the link above:

"It has now been almost 4 months since my PRP treatment and at this point I can't say that I have seen any results. Of all the 36 patients treated, only one has shown some increase in density so far. I am not that impressed at this point with PRP treatment. Hopefully I will see more happy patients over the next few months."

I've never once seen results from PRP. A few people here and on other hair loss boards have posted 6+ and 12+ month pictures which showed no regrowth whatsoever (but again, didn't seem to show much additional loss - but then, the patients could have been on finasteride too.)

Dr Umar is offering PRP as an option to use it at the same time as getting a hair transplant. His rational is that it can reduce downtime/speed up the healing process after the hair transplant.

Boondock

Reaction score
I don't know all the facts, but it's always struck me as a bit of a fad.

Has anyone seen any documented cases of success on the boards? I can't remember any.

The main bloke doing it is based in Beverley Hills. Go figure.

Matt Skiba

Established Member
Reaction score
I remember there being something about prp+ which is supposed to be regular prp with more stuff in it, gimmicky perhaps.

But what I'm curious about is has anyone had the prp + acell treatment where they combine prp and acell and inject it back. I think I've read of a few places that say they offer this..

It makes me wonder, would it even make as much of a difference as just using nizoral?

fallinghair

Reaction score
I did it, and counted hair for the following 3 months, still 140-170/day (count every 3 days) guess didn't work for me. I stopped counting thereafter and went for system.

helpwithhair

Reaction score
I had it done in the middle of August.

So fair have not seen any difference, though the doctor told me it would take about 8months before it starts to fully kick in.