Does Oral Minoxidil Cause A Shed? Please Answer

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi boys,

Thank you for your replies!

@AnxiousAndy: No hon, it's been 7 years. I gave Duta a whole year and a half - but i probably didn't need it then because I was on Flutamide which simply blocks all androgens and my hair was thicker than it had ever been. However, Flutamide gets intense after a point because it is intensely feminizing, but also increases plasma testosterone like none other. The ideal dose would be 250mg, but even on that, eventually the effects of T will out power the blocked receptors. I got a downgrade to spironolactone and finasteride in January, and I will say, at least in blood if not scalp, finasteride NUKED my DHT levels to below 10ng/dl. However, I wonder if the regrowth I was accustomed to was really contingent on blocking ALL androgens.

@Retinoid: thank you for your reply. I'm measuring my success with Spironolactone not so much with hair, but blockage at the skin level - I still have seborrhea 6 months into 200-300mg of spironolactone. Maybe it's not as bad as it was when I started, but I don't know because I began with a stronger drug that my doctors wanted me to wean off of. I'm not changing anything yet - I just eliminated oral because I couldn't handle the shedding - albeit exacerbated by coming off Flutamide in Jan. Perhaps I'll give it a shot at a later date.

Also from my own blood tests every week, I have come to realize at least thus far Spironolactone doesn't seem to decrease my androgens, and according to my doctors now it can even increase levels. It did certainly increase free unbound testosterone which is a real friggin' tragedy.

Last edited:

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you sure? What symptoms did you experience? I got RH too but from finasteride. When I added in Cyproterone Acetate it didn't help but it also didn't accelerate my balding further either. If you have literally no testosterone and DHT in your body even if your scalp did increase the number of androgen receptors there would be nothing for them to bind to. I think you are likely shedding from trying so many treatments in such a short period of time that you are experiencing hormonal Telogen Effluvium . Try sticking to a DHT blocker + Anti androgen + Minoxidil regimen consistently for a year and then see where you are at. With ZERO testosterone and DHT its impossible to go bald by male pattern baldness.

How is your skin and sex drive on Cypro, if you don't mind me asking. From what I understand it is the only anti-androgen that can both block and lower testosterone significantly.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
How is your skin and sex drive on Cypro, if you don't mind me asking. From what I understand it is the only anti-androgen that can both block and lower testosterone significantly.
My skin is pretty good, better than before. Sex drive is really, really low. It's really good at nuking testosterone. Hasn't helped my hair yet but its only been about 100 days I think

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My skin is pretty good, better than before. Sex drive is really, really low. It's really good at nuking testosterone. Hasn't helped my hair yet but its only been about 100 days I think
Andy, that's great news!! If your skin has improved and your sex drive is a bit low, it means Cyrpo is working. I don't know that it has a regenerative ability as all anti-androgens thicken hair and those return at their own cycle. (The cycle can be altered with growth stimulants like minoxidil, needling, llt, whichever really works for your body.) I'm so happy to read that! You're on the right path. Remember, Cypro also blocks testosterone at the receptor in addition to lowering androgens. If I were you I'd also get a blood test for the following: Testosterone (total and free), DHT, SHBG, Estradiol, DHEAS, Androstenodione, Prolactin, and LH. That's what my endos prescribe for me.
Chin up Andy!!

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Andy, that's great news!! If your skin has improved and your sex drive is a bit low, it means Cyrpo is working. I don't know that it has a regenerative ability as all anti-androgens thicken hair and those return at their own cycle. (The cycle can be altered with growth stimulants like minoxidil, needling, llt, whichever really works for your body.) I'm so happy to read that! You're on the right path. Remember, Cypro also blocks testosterone at the receptor in addition to lowering androgens. If I were you I'd also get a blood test for the following: Testosterone (total and free), DHT, SHBG, Estradiol, DHEAS, Androstenodione, Prolactin, and LH. That's what my endos prescribe for me.
Chin up Andy!!
Thanks for the kind words :) I am using 25mg but I did use 50mg for the first 3 weeks to help boost the decline of my testosterone. Head is also less itchy. I'm hopeful things work out.. I'm not even necessarily looking for regrowth, stabilising would be just fine with me as I also use Dermmatch and it can make my hair look a lot better!
I know you were taking flutamide but how long did it take for you to notice your hair loss stopped or slowed down? I imagine the regrowth took a long time?
I'll try to stay positive but I've not had much luck treating my hair loss.

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words :) I am using 25mg but I did use 50mg for the first 3 weeks to help boost the decline of my testosterone. Head is also less itchy. I'm hopeful things work out.. I'm not even necessarily looking for regrowth, stabilising would be just fine with me as I also use Dermmatch and it can make my hair look a lot better!
I know you were taking flutamide but how long did it take for you to notice your hair loss stopped or slowed down? I imagine the regrowth took a long time?
I'll try to stay positive but I've not had much luck treating my hair loss.

Don’t worry about it - I promise, it will get better. Titrate your dose later if you need, and the blood tests would be useful for reference.

Now I started Flutamide in December 2011 after a huge Telogen Effluvium. I had a patch on my crown and I was mortified - I had just turned 20. I was prescribed minoxidil 10% foam for nightly use only + Flutamide by a somewhat ballsy dermatologist who was very familiar with its effects in women. Results from Flutamide are noted to be quick but like I said I took it along w minoxidil. I remember that by the summer I had much better hair and incredible skin, and by a year later I had zero signs of hair loss. By January 2015 my hair was thicker than it was even when I was a teenager, long before my hormones went nuts. One of these days I’ll put up. Now of course 6 years later I’m almost surprised I’m banking on proscar but tbd how this journey progresses.

See, some men respond to finasteride (for regrowth) after 1 year - and for some guys it’s consistent for a decade plus and some claim results crash quickly after. So don’t lose hope as tough as it is. Believe me, I thought at this point I’d be beyond hair loss but I’m not and I’m still always amazed by the body’s ability to regenerate with the right support. You will get there!! Don’t panic - you’re taking action : ) also it looks like significant new regeneration treatments are like on the horizon - at least closer than they’ve ever been ;)
Please always feel free to DM me if you have questions!

Last edited:

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Don’t worry about it - I promise, it will get better. Titrate your dose later if you need, and the blood tests would be useful for reference.

Now I started Flutamide in December 2011 after a huge Telogen Effluvium. I had a patch on my crown and I was mortified - I had just turned 20. I was prescribed minoxidil 10% foam for nightly use only + Flutamide by a somewhat ballsy dermatologist who was very familiar with its effects in women. Results from Flutamide are noted to be quick but like I said I took it along w minoxidil. I remember that by the summer I had much better hair and incredible skin, and by a year later I had zero signs of hair loss. By January 2015 years later my hair was thicker than it was even when I was a teenager long before my hormones went nuts. One of these days I’ll pull out pictures up. Now of course 6 years later I’m almost surprised I’m banking on proscar but tbd how this journey progresses.
See, some men respond to finasteride (for regrowth) after 1 year - and for some guys it’s consistent for a decade plus and some claim results crash quickly after. So don’t lose hope as tough as it is. Believe me, I thought at this point I’d be beyond hair loss but I’m not and I’m still always amazed by the bodies ability to regenerate with the right support. You will get there!! Don’t panic - you’re taking action : ) also it looks like significant new regeneration treatments are like on the horizon - at least closer than they’ve ever been ;)
Please always feel free to DM me if you have questions!
This made me happy :) Thanks, I will do! Keep fighting the good fight @KSA!!