Does Minoxidil Stop Working While On Finasteride??

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
So, this is me right now. Just took this pic at the office.

I buzzed my hair with a #6 3 days ago. I found this is the best length if I want it short (shorter than that, like #4 and my temples start to show more).

There is no "comb-over" or anything, buzzed #6 all over. I'm under office lights and there is a window on my left side - sunny day. :)

My temples are slightly worse, but still.. I'm f*****g 40.. (Crown is fine.)

If I can keep this for another 10 years, I am more than happy.

View attachment 60553

It looks great

I'm in similar boat I have to remind myself I am 46 and it's mostly about maintaining at this point, not letting it get any worse.

Reactions: br1

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
But don't get fooled by the pic... I lost a lot of density.. I am a diffuse thinner, so when I quit finasteride I did not notice any loss (was not really receding), until the day I realized I was losing it all over the scalp...

:(
Can you show photo of your hairline pushed back? What is your Norwood level? No gray at 40. Lucky man.

br1

Reaction score
It looks great

I'm in similar boat I have to remind myself I am 46 and it's mostly about maintaining at this point, not letting it get any worse.

Thanks.

That's it. Exactly what I feel... I know I have it, but have been managing the condition until here. Can't "complain".. I am the unlucky one, though. My brother, has the SAME hair as when he was a teenager. He's 37 now.. Mom's side.. No baldies there...

Dad's side, 100% bald. All of them.. Damn genes.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks.

That's it. Exactly what I feel... I know I have it, but have been managing the condition until here. Can't "complain".. I am the unlucky one, though. My brother, has the SAME hair as when he was a teenager. He's 37 now.. Mom's side.. No baldies there...

Dad's side, 100% bald. All of them.. Damn genes.

Same thing older sister not lost one strand that I can see

I have my Dadd side hair but my moms side hit loss BUT I am lucky my mom had severe hair loss all over scalp and even her brows thinnned dramatically.
I feel like my Dads genes are fighting my moms genes, really weird
Dad is full head at 80.

br1

Reaction score
Can you show photo of your hairline pushed back? What is your Norwood level? No gray at 40. Lucky man.

There you go. I don't know what my Norwood level is. I guess a NW2? Help me there.
br1_Aug-2017-hairline.jpg

ps.: got some light (from the window) in it, sorry.
ps2: hairs are short, not sure if pic is OK.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
There you go. I don't know what my Norwood level is. I guess a NW2? Help me there.
View attachment 60618

Really not bad at all for your age even if
You were young it would appear 'early'

br1

Reaction score

On the gray hairs.. I have a few strands (on the sides of the head). I firmly believe finasteride is keeping them at bay.
When I quit finasteride, I started to notice more and more coming out. And, might be my impression only as I was quite stressed about it, but I also noticed my hair in general was changing color - getting light brown.. ~2 years after resuming finasteride, they seem darker again... o_O

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
View attachment 60618

You have great hair for 40. Just barely hitting a NW2.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Not sure if I got that. What you mean by "it would appear 'early'" ?
The way I interpreted her post is if you were even at a younger age, you hair is only in the early stages of hair loss. Is that right HB?

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not sure if I got that. What you mean by "it would appear 'early'" ?

It does not look advanced
I would never guess you had real hair loss.

Looks early stage.

Zoobop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you have any gains since starting finasteride?

If by gain you include overall strengthening of the hair and stopping of loss, then yes. Certainly looks thicker. But as far as total new hair growth, not that I am aware of, at least not on my temples and hairline where it is easy to see.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
View attachment 60618

That looks great. People say my hair looks good, I cant see any recession on you, whereas Im continually creeping back and thinning at the crown. Granted Im not on finasteride. I have no doubt you have thinned, but you're 40. Im 40 too, and I take comfort in knowing Im well ahead of many at my age.

Thanks for sharing your pics.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
seriously @br1 ; are you kidding!! you are Norwood 0.

Damn, i have got the feeling that all finasteride sucess stories are people who were destined to be Norwood 2 at most .

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
seriously @br1 ; are you kidding!! you are Norwood 0.

Damn, i have got the feeling that all finasteride sucess stories are people who were destined to be Norwood 2 at most .

totally agree looks like a zero to me too, if not a slightly matured hairline. If you're comparing yourself to your bro, i could maybe understand if you think otherwise, but compared to most you look like a nw1.

br1

Reaction score
Thanks guys.. you fill my heart with the kind words..

But, if I have some time this weekend I will try to pull off some older pics, when I was on my 20s and a couple years ago (when I quit finasteride)..

On such pics, my temples are very thin.