Does Minoxidil Stop Working While On Finasteride??

MrPortugal

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh crap.... I know guys using minoxidil ALONE for many years and still hair.

But yeah it's better start finasteride with minoxidil.... But unfortunately a few guys have sides from finasteride and try others treatments to keep the hair

Btw minoxidil block slightly DHT too...

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wonder if they sell topical finasteride in Canada...?

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wonder if they sell topical finasteride in Canada...?

Yes Hasson and Wong sell the one that 'supposedly' does not go systemic

https://hassonandwong.com/topical-finasteride-solution-prescription/

Some guy there said it did NOT go systemic and a few said it did so just FYI. But a few guys here have either used it or are using it.

There compound is specific, I forgot what its called but supposedly how it is formulated is less chance of going systemic.

br1

Reaction score
I have considered it, but the issue in my case (and most ppl i guess) is to give up oral finasteride.. To do the actual shift..

What if the topical does not really work? Then you lose ground.

Seems risky, when oral is working - with minor sides.

br1

Reaction score
I get it from my Doctor...he has it compounded for me...No sides so far..its only a month...I was surprised to see regrowth so quickly...my hair grows fast/long but all of a sudden all these miniature hairs I had that were stuck at like 1 inch are starting to grow to 2 inches and thicken up--NOT all of them but enough that I feel like I can see a subtle difference...I may take pics in another month or so, hopefully will be more noticeable at that time.
I am assuming it is the addition of finasteride--others will probably think its the minoxodil--I have been on minoxidil since November...I did really well by February, in June I started to shed like crazy again and lost some ground...now i made up that lost ground and I think I am gaining more better caliber hair coming in. I am thinking the finasteride helped..but again its hard to say for sure.

Going to try and get DHT tested when i see my gyno to let you guys know if its gone systemic or not...If it did I don't feel any negative sides so far (of course cant have a baby/concieve-but I did not want one so this is okay I am 46).
my percentage is 0.5% which I guess is on high end not sure. I also use topical spironolactone but I think the finasteride is what really made a difference--although now scared to stop the spironolactone LOL.
The DHT test I think will shed a lot of light on what is going on systemically.

I am tempted if it has gone systemic just to switch to a pill...there is a GREAT study on women who took finasteride or dutasteride for 3 years--holy cow the hair loss in some looked completely reversed. Really impressive for women. Of course Doctors do not want to prescribe the drugs to women in child bearing years (understandable if they do not go on birth control pills) --BUT they prescribe spironolactone..I guess it has a shorter life in system compared to finasteride/dutasteride.

Hi. Do you have a baseline for your DHT levels?

br1

Reaction score
you are on minoxidil @br1 ?
Since I restarted finasteride, Feb 2016 (had stopped after ~13yrs, lose some ground)..

I recover my lost ground, but I believe it's from minoxidil - tough started minoxidil the same time as restarted finasteride...

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi. Do you have a baseline for your DHT levels?

I do not know for sure if my DHT was check BUT i had a BATTERY of hormone testing done in like 2012 or 2013 by a hair loss endocrinologist who is pretty famous (or infamous lol depending who you speak to)--so It might be on there. I had some more testing done in early 2016 by another Endo--but was not as extensive.

I have to check my copies later.

Reactions: br1

br1

Reaction score
you have stopped minoxidil after 13 years on it ?
or just stopped propecia ?
No.. Sorry, I was on finasteride for 13yrs. Quit. Lose ground. Restarted finasteride (and added minoxidil).

Im on minoxidil for 1.5 yrs i guess.

tomcat

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No.. Sorry, I was on finasteride for 13yrs. Quit. Lose ground. Restarted finasteride (and added minoxidil).

Im on minoxidil for 1.5 yrs i guess.
hi so hows ur hair now ? how many hair did u shed daily ? im on finasteride for 2 years but i shed like 100 hair a day and i wonder if its working or not!

Last edited:

br1

Reaction score
hi so hows ur hair now ? how many hair did u shed daily ? im on finasteride for 2 years but i shed like 100 hair a day and i wonder if its working or not!

I think I am like I was before I quit finasteride. Maybe like 10% worse or so. Not "balding" for the common person.

For the 1st year or so (talking since I resumed finasteride and added minoxidil), I was shedding like 30 hairs after shower. Then at some point I was shedding like 100.. Then 30... Then I stopped counting and decided to judge by the looks of my hair..

Recently, I checked for a couple of weeks, and it was around 15 - 20 hairs. It seems stable.. can't complain.

I'm 40 yo.. so..

br1

Reaction score
So, this is me right now. Just took this pic at the office.

I buzzed my hair with a #6 3 days ago. I found this is the best length if I want it short (shorter than that, like #4 and my temples start to show more).

There is no "comb-over" or anything, buzzed #6 all over. I'm under office lights and there is a window on my left side - sunny day. :)

My temples are slightly worse, but still.. I'm f*****g 40.. (Crown is fine.)

If I can keep this for another 10 years, I am more than happy.

br1_Aug-2017.jpg

br1

Reaction score
I have always been comfortable using very short haircuts. Never went down to "no-grade", but want to try it out. I am a BJJ athlete, and no-grade is a pretty common haircut there..

So my plan is, if nothing new comes out (REPLICEL??) I will start to go shorter and shorter, until the inevitable happens. :-(

tomcat

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have always been comfortable using very short haircuts. Never went down to "no-grade", but want to try it out. I am a BJJ athlete, and no-grade is a pretty common haircut there..

So my plan is, if nothing new comes out (REPLICEL??) I will start to go shorter and shorter, until the inevitable happens. :-(
are u kidding ?? u have perfect hair for 40 yo man!!!!

MrPortugal

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So, this is me right now. Just took this pic at the office.

I buzzed my hair with a #6 3 days ago. I found this is the best length if I want it short (shorter than that, like #4 and my temples start to show more).

There is no "comb-over" or anything, buzzed #6 all over. I'm under office lights and there is a window on my left side - sunny day. :)

My temples are slightly worse, but still.. I'm f*****g 40.. (Crown is fine.)

If I can keep this for another 10 years, I am more than happy.

View attachment 60553
40 anos com um cabelo de adolescente...lucky guy

Zoobop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Curious - has anyone here experienced growth from minoxidil, then lost it after about a year, then started finasteride right after (responded well)? I am in that situation, been on finasteride for about 7 months, and wondering if the small hairs that minoxidil regrew then withdrew still have a possibility of coming back. They have only been gone for about a year, whereas minoxidil brought them back after being gone for several years initially.

And yes, I kick myself for not starting both treatments at the same time. No need to comment on that.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Curious - has anyone here experienced growth from minoxidil, then lost it after about a year, then started finasteride right after (responded well)? I am in that situation, been on finasteride for about 7 months, and wondering if the small hairs that minoxidil regrew then withdrew still have a possibility of coming back. They have only been gone for about a year, whereas minoxidil brought them back after being gone for several years initially.

And yes, I kick myself for not starting both treatments at the same time. No need to comment on that.

Did you have any gains since starting finasteride?

br1

Reaction score
are u kidding ?? u have perfect hair for 40 yo man!!!!

But don't get fooled by the pic... I lost a lot of density.. I am a diffuse thinner, so when I quit finasteride I did not notice any loss (was not really receding), until the day I realized I was losing it all over the scalp...

:(