Does minoxidil Maintain Hairline Or Regrow It Or Both?

PDM

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just wondering if minoxidil regrows any hair and/or maintains hairline, and if it is successful at doing so. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
There's an article on it somewhere at the front of the site.

Response to minoxidil is variable. Around 50% of men respond, the rest don't. Of those that do respond, the typical result is to get a bit (not a lot) of regrowth, but the disease keeps going and eventually you lose that ground.

Minoxidil by itself is a mediocre treatment.

How old are you?

PDM

My Regimen
Reaction score
There's an article on it somewhere at the front of the site.

Response to minoxidil is variable. Around 50% of men respond, the rest don't. Of those that do respond, the typical result is to get a bit (not a lot) of regrowth, but the disease keeps going and eventually you lose that ground.

Minoxidil by itself is a mediocre treatment.

How old are you?
I will be 20 in April. I've been getting self conscious about my temples (which are back farther than I think they should be), and was thinking about starting treatment with minoxidil. Do you think I should be on finasteride too with this hair? Thanks again for the input.
IMG_0321.JPG
IMG_0339.JPG
IMG_0332.JPG

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm sorry to say but if that's your hair at 20 then minoxidil won't be enough. Your hair loss is aggressive. The good news is you're not disfigured yet, the bad news is you're on your way.

You need finasteride or RU as fast as possible, possibly add in the new S5 cream, as well as minoxidil foam.

My advice?

1) Go buy three months of rogain 5 percent foam today and start applying.
2) call doctor, make appointment today.
3) Ask for finasteride prescription, use a pill cutter (cheap, sold by all pharmacies) and start at 0.5 mg a day.
4) Ask your doctor for a blood test for you to have a record of where you were before finasteride: test, free test, estradiol, DHT, SHBG, LH, FSH, prolactin, glucose, insulin, t3, t4 should be part of it. Take blood test asap, once it's done pop your first pill.
5) Probably add in the S5 cream from this website, but wait a couple months to do that.

6) if you're one of the unlucky few that gets side effects on finasteride, stop. Go to thekaneshop.com and order RU58851 and start applying the 3 per cent lotion once a day.

When you start treatments, make sure to take photos from every direction with a specific haircut so as to monitor your progress. Some people respond well, some just maintain, some don't.

@Swoop is the top expert here and can comment on the plan.

SRene

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, I've got finasteride sides after 2 pills. Is RU free of side effects?

SRene

My Regimen
Reaction score
It has dose dependent side effects that don't persist after treatments. However it's less well studied than finasteride.

I've gotten gynacomestia from 2 0,5 mg pills of finasteride. I'm not kidding, I've definitely grown some tissue, and if no one can tell me its only in my head.

Should I even bother with RU? It appears I am very sensitive to anti androgens..

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
RU doesn't affect serum concentrations of hormones, it merely temporarily blocks an androgen receptor.

zetta98

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Its different from one person to the next. But either way it doesn't cut down to what causes male pattern baldness and so any results should be expected to be short lived. Personally I experience excellent results on it but like I said it doesn't stop the root cause. Its best when mixed with a dht inhibitor and an anti-inflammatory such as nizoral shampoo.

PDM

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks so much for all the advice David, mch appreciated. I am starting minoxidil and nizoral right away. I may have to wait until the start of the summer for an appointment for finasteride since I'm away at college now. Any other tips on how to manage until then? Also, how long do you think I can manage to keep my current head of hair with all 3 of those treatments going at once?

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks so much for all the advice David, mch appreciated. I am starting minoxidil and nizoral right away. I may have to wait until the start of the summer for an appointment for finasteride since I'm away at college now. Any other tips on how to manage until then? Also, how long do you think I can manage to keep my current head of hair with all 3 of those treatments going at once?

You may be able to maintain indefinitely with those three treatments. As far as I know there are no simple tests to predict how you're going to respond.

Are there no doctors at your college? There should be a health clinic at your college. Your male pattern baldness is aggressive, you most likely need an anti-androgen. I would do my best to go see a doctor if I were you. If not, go to thekaneshop and order 3.5% RU immediately. It's more expensive than finasteride.

I think you can get finasteride off online pharmacies but I don't know who's reliable and who isn't.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score

I maintained mostly on finasteride alone, interspersed with using minoxidil off and on. Worked wonders for me while i used it. I stopped at 27 after 7.5 years on it. At your age, you will likely regrow most lost ground and wont have to worry about hairloss on this regimen.

If you experience any sides, I would recommend taking zinc picolinate (50mgs) and vitamin d3 5000 ius.

PDM

My Regimen
Reaction score
So there is some hope for me haha! Thanks again David, I'll try to start finasteride as soon as I can

PDM

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh I'm sure. Im just glad I figured out how to go about treating it. If treatment doesn't work then that's just the way it goes

zephyrprime

Reaction score
Minoxidil is worthless period. After a long time of use, i causes users to have slightly less hair than non-user control groups.

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
In my opinion the best way to think about how minoxidil works is this.

It will give you the density you would have had without minoxidil + a certain percentage, ranging from none to probably about 20% for the best responders. It will always give you this boost so long as you keep using it, but if you were to lose 20% in two years then you will be at baseline in two years. And continue to bald after.

Good response + slow balding and you can probably get a good bit more than that.

This is often worsened by guys thinking the minoxidil has stopped working to they stop it, only to find they lose more hair. If you respond to minoxidil do not stop it. (Unless some other treatment comes along).

Artues123

My Regimen
Reaction score
.My advice?

1) Go buy three months of rogain 5 percent foam today and start applying.
2) call doctor, make appointment today.
3) Ask for finasteride prescription, use a pill cutter (cheap, sold by all pharmacies) and start at 0.5 mg a day.
4) Ask your doctor for a blood test for you to have a record of where you were before finasteride: test, free test, estradiol, DHT, SHBG, LH, FSH, prolactin, glucose, insulin, t3, t4 should be part of it. Take blood test asap, once it's done pop your first pill.
5) Probably add in the S5 cream from this website, but wait a couple months to do that.

6) if you're one of the unlucky few that gets side effects on finasteride, stop. Go to thekaneshop.com and order RU58851 and start applying the 3 per cent lotion once a day.

When you start treatments, make sure to take photos from every direction with a specific haircut so as to monitor your progress. Some people respond well, some just maintain, some don't.

@Swoop is the top expert here and can comment on the plan.

Is this advice/treatment generic? I mean, is this applicable if I have dpa?

Vesemir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In my opinion the best way to think about how minoxidil works is this.

It will give you the density you would have had without minoxidil + a certain percentage, ranging from none to probably about 20% for the best responders. It will always give you this boost so long as you keep using it, but if you were to lose 20% in two years then you will be at baseline in two years. And continue to bald after.

Good response + slow balding and you can probably get a good bit more than that.

This is often worsened by guys thinking the minoxidil has stopped working to they stop it, only to find they lose more hair. If you respond to minoxidil do not stop it. (Unless some other treatment comes along).

This gives me hope. I'm heavily shedding atm and I'm back at baseline. It's probably due to minoxidil, but I'm on finasteride too. It's difficult.