Does Metformin Helps With Male Pattern Baldness?

Saulus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry if already posted, I haven't seen it.

"They discovered that chronic topical administration of Metformin at even a low dose exerted the most profound effects to accelerate wound healing with improved epidermis, hair follicles, collagen deposition and vascularization in young rodents."

https://sciencetrends.com/scientist...mal-anti-aging-reagent-improve-wound-healing/

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...ging-reagent-to-improve-wound-healing.110231/

This is actually good news

However thread like this really make you think about it

Last edited:

Saulus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm thinking about itchy/inflammation. I read some mixed review about regrowth from Metformin.

the only thing i can say that you overall hair quality goes to sh*t

you hair feels less powerful amd straw lke at least for me...

probably bc it blocks the intake of various b vitamins

luckily it dissappears once you quit

its very legit for the skin tho and makes your face look quite lean and healthy

bill_bailey_lookalike

My Regimen
Reaction score
Any updates on Metformin, especially when used with Dutasteride? Recent studies have shown a correlation between the use of DHT blockers and increased risk of fatty liver along with diabetes so it might be a smart thing for Finasteride and Dutasteride uses to add to their regimen

Saulus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Any updates on Metformin, especially when used with Dutasteride? Recent studies have shown a correlation between the use of DHT blockers and increased risk of fatty liver along with diabetes so it might be a smart thing for Finasteride and Dutasteride uses to add to their regimen

i know this study..

only dutasteride but not finasteride cause this problems

Ein

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What if I take Metformin with my Bicalutamide? I'm really looking for a healthy youthful appearance, and of course, weight loss.
Will I need to add Estradiol to my regime?

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, that's what I'd been thinking about. Besides, it's also used for PCOS and is good for liver and weight loss. And I found one study that said that it's better than cyproterone acetate and estradiol combination therapy for hirsutism.

Metformin is a net positive drug (AMPK activation, insulin resistance, etc.) however there is absolutely no evidence it is helpful for male pattern baldness. This is one of the most prescribed drugs in the US and is an older drug, if it helped with hair growth it would have been realized by now. It helps with PCOS because PCOS is more insulin dependent while male pattern baldness is not. It also can cause B12 deficiency, lower testosterone, upset protein synthesis (make it harder to build muscle) and cause stomach issues. So if you are JUST wanting to take it for male pattern baldness, then don't waste your time. If you want to take it for AMPK, then Berberine+Aspirin+Alpha Lipoic Acid will be much more powerful.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
It helps with PCOS because PCOS is more insulin dependent while male pattern baldness is not.
hmm, but insulin lowers SHBG, the levels of which affect bioavailability of androgens

Ein

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Metformin is a net positive drug (AMPK activation, insulin resistance, etc.) however there is absolutely no evidence it is helpful for male pattern baldness. This is one of the most prescribed drugs in the US and is an older drug, if it helped with hair growth it would have been realized by now. It helps with PCOS because PCOS is more insulin dependent while male pattern baldness is not. It also can cause B12 deficiency, lower testosterone, upset protein synthesis (make it harder to build muscle) and cause stomach issues. So if you are JUST wanting to take it for male pattern baldness, then don't waste your time. If you want to take it for AMPK, then Berberine+Aspirin+Alpha Lipoic Acid will be much more powerful.
But taking it with anti-androgens won't hurt, right? I'm currently taking Bicalutamide.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
hmm, but insulin lowers SHBG, the levels of which affect bioavailability of androgens

I have a theory that it is not too high of Androgens that are the problem, it is too little. Note: I do not think injecting Testosterone will cure male pattern baldness.

It seems most men who run into hair loss and prostate issues have lower testosterone levels and as you said, lower SHBG. The only reason why your body is lowering SHBG is because it does not have a high total amount. One way the body may try to also keep up with Androgen demand is increase DHT production (more potent Androgen) which leads to the prostate enlargement and hair loss. Furthermore a change in estrogen receptor level balance (more in favor of alpha over beta) also seems to compound the issue.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
But taking it with anti-androgens won't hurt, right? I'm currently taking Bicalutamide.

I would never take an anti-androgen other than a DHT inhibitor unless I had high Androgen levels. Androgens by themselves are not the issue. Androgens are healthy for men.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
It seems most men who run into hair loss and prostate issues have lower testosterone levels and as you said, lower SHBG.
I think the sensitivity to androgens may increase with age. There was that experiment by Hamilton where injecting eunuchs in thier 20s with testosterone caused hairloss over several years but injecting an eunuch in his 50s caused rapid hairloss in a few months.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think the sensitivity to androgens may increase with age. There was that experiment by Hamilton where injecting eunuchs in thier 20s with testosterone caused hairloss over several years but injecting an eunuch in his 50s caused rapid hairloss in a few months.

It probably is not increased sensitivity to Androgens. It probably has something to do with follicular mitochondria+androgrens. If older men were really much more sensitive to Androgens you would see them hornier, more muscular, etc. Not needing v****, more predisposed to being fat, more difficulty keeping and gainining muscle and getting gyno more easily.