Does Metformin Helps With Male Pattern Baldness?

Saulus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Srs dawgs

Metformin isnt just a anti diabetes drig but also the trending anti ageing drug and should be part of every peter pan crew supplement stack

Its not only to suspected to make you live longer but also to slow down visible ageing and helps with fat loss and face leaness.

But its also effect hormones meaning that it lowers the free t in healthy males while the t lvl in obese males stay the same (if you lose fat especially at the stomach your t lvl rises, so weightloss under metformin counter the t rising effect of metformin)

Since dht gets aromatised from t..doesnt it mean metformin also lowers your dht lvl?

I found this so far:

"Certainly metformin would not cause male balding as it's effects on insulin, IGF-1, and androgens are opposite to what potentially causes balding. Metformin improves insulin sensitivity, reduces obesity and lowers free and possibly total testosterone.

Of course, studies have never been done, but one would hypothesize at least for an obese man, that metformin would help rather than hinder that process of slowing male balding.

Metformin can cause hair loss....but that's very rare. The type of hair loss induced by metformin, although rare, is not of the male pattern balding type. "

https://www.realself.com/question/l...-effects-dihydrotestosterone-dht-male-pattern

Thoughts?

Saulus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Now i found this:

"it cause hair loss trough this diferent mechanism
1/ it acts as an aromatase inhibitor, aromatase is the enzime that transform testosterone , androstendione and dheas into estrogen, estrogen as is well know protect hair from falling it makes the anagen phase longer .As the aromatase pathway is blocked by metformin, then there is more substrate or free androgens to be converted in DHt , trough 5 alpha reductase, they are converted then to dht the most androgenic male hormone, that is the direct cause of androgenic alopecia.as an example women with breast cancer than take aromatase inhitors loose their hair very fast, in a male type pattern.this mechanism cause permanent hair lost,Actually because it cause aromatase inhibition they are testing it as breast cancer coadjuvant treatment,
l
2/the second mechanism it cause hair loss is by increasing dheas levels as it caused a mild suprarenal impairment, so the adrenal gland produce more androgens to compensate.dheas is a weak androgen but it can be converted trough the enzime 5 alpha reductase into a very potent androgen dht, that as above mentioned cause hair loss.the hair lost trough this mechanism, is permanent
3/the 3 mechanism metformin cause hair thining is trough decreasing the igf1 effect on the body, igf1 is a metabolic part that caused most of the growth hormone effects it caūse hair to grow stronger and thicker, people who have low igf1 levels has very thin hair.this mechanism is temporal, once you stop taking metformin your hair will grow strong again,but your sugar will raise againActually as it decrease igf1 levels they are testing it as a cancer treatment.
4/the 4 mechanism is trough inhibiting B12 absortion , b12 deficiency cause hair loss.this is also a temporal mechanism"

http://www.diabetesforums.com/forums/forum/4-type-2-diabetes/

But this makes no sense to me:

If metformin worked as an aromatase inhibitor it would raise free t not lowering it, wouldnt it?

"RESULTS:
After metformin administration, there was a significant reduction in serum level of total testosterone (p=0.0001), free testosterone (P=0.002), and 17 hydroxyprogesterone (p=0.0001). There was also a significant increase in serum level of sex hormone binding globulin (p=0.009) and dehydroepiandrosterone sulphate (P=0.0008). Serum levels of luteinizing hormone and follicle stimulating hormone showed no significant changes. Similarly, there were no changes in fasting plasma glucose, fasting serum insulin, weight, or blood pressure."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12235466

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
If metformin worked as an aromatase inhibitor it would raise free t not lowering it, wouldnt it?
if it inhibits aromatase and lowers free t, then my guess is that it is affecting SHBG somehow. Insulin decreases SHBG, so if metaforin improves insulin sensitivity then it could raise SHBG that way.

Saulus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
if it inhibits aromatase and lowers free t, then my guess is that it is affecting SHBG somehow. Insulin decreases SHBG, so if metaforin improves insulin sensitivity then it could raise SHBG that way.

Yes according to the study above - done on healthy males - it raises SHGB and dehydroepiandrosteronesulphate while it lowers free and total testosterone.

5 alpha reductase can only transform testosterone but not dhea(s) into dht right?

couldntthinkofaname

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1-s2-0-s0022202x15330396-gr6-gif.gif

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
5 alpha reductase can only transform testosterone but not dhea(s) into dht right?
right but dhea can lead to T and Dht further down the line

couldntthinkofaname

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
viBQnTl.jpg

Bh8fj5n.jpg

"So we have to take care of that nasty PGD2 production. In the past people tried COX1/COX2 inhibitors because that basically removes it right? Well, it didn't work out. People actually lost more hair because when you snip the chain that high you also remove the beneficial PGE2 prostaglandin chain. COX inhibitors should thus be avoided. "

http://swisstemples.blogspot.de/2015/09/the-prostaglandin-protocol.html?m=1

"Some studies highlighted that COX2/PGE2/STAT2/EMT is involved in cancer cell migration and invasion (5356). Tong et al. showed that metformin is capable to act on this axis, inhibiting it. In fact, their data revealed that metformin has an anti-EMT effect through the inhibition of COX2 or the block of PEG2-mediated STAT3 phosphorylation and the expression of other EMT markers, when metformin is used at higher concentrations"

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fonc.2017.00243/full

Last edited:

Saulus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...ol-will-make-your-face-look-like-sh*t.109593/

Okay metformin can cause hairloss and enhance male pattern baldness by reducing all sorts of prostsglandin in the body.

Which on one hands slows down ageing, wrinkles, risks of cancer but on the other side fucks with your hair

As long as they dont make studies on that subject dont touch metformin imho

Quineapig

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have taken it 2000mg ED for half a year now (I dont have diabetes). Not a miracle drug but it helps a bit with acne and raises your SHBG. When I started it gave me huge shed but idk if it has helped or not with hairloss .
It makes you lose weight and get ripped as f*** seriously.
It also makes you not want sugars or desserts and decreases feeling of hunger.
If you eat sugary or high carb meal you are gonna get diarrhea next day.

Saulus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have taken it 2000mg ED for half a year now (I dont have diabetes). Not a miracle drug but it helps a bit with acne and raises your SHBG. When I started it gave me huge shed but idk if it has helped or not with hairloss .
It makes you lose weight and get ripped as f*** seriously.
It also makes you not want sugars or desserts and decreases feeling of hunger.
If you eat sugary or high carb meal you are gonna get diarrhea next day.

Yesi dont have diabetes too but took 500mg for 4 weeks

It did wonders for me

Get rid of facial bloat too...even though i didnt lost any weight my face looked very lean but in a healthy way..

It can really make a big difference on your facial aesthetics

Unfortunately go back to baline after a few weeks

Oh and btw im not overweight or anything..and even when i had less weight almost underweight my face was always kinda chubby so...

Saulus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
How do you get it? Don't you need it as a prescription?

I ordered it online
Often the places who offer finasteride also offers met .. like alldaychemist

In general you need prescription - but in eastern europe you get it over the counter