Does Knot Sealer Actually Make A Difference?

George Hen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wear lace systems and I usually get 6-8 months out of them before the hair starts to look a bit too thin at the front. I’m very careful throughout wearing a system and preventing hair loss is obviously a top priority.

So I’m wondering if anyone uses knot sealer and if it actually make a difference? All the ones I’ve looked at online have very mixed reviews, with some even saying that they might have increased the shedding of a system - it’s difficult to know if it’s worth a try.

JohnathonNY

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wear lace systems and I usually get 6-8 months out of them before the hair starts to look a bit too thin at the front. I’m very careful throughout wearing a system and preventing hair loss is obviously a top priority.

So I’m wondering if anyone uses knot sealer and if it actually make a difference? All the ones I’ve looked at online have very mixed reviews, with some even saying that they might have increased the shedding of a system - it’s difficult to know if it’s worth a try.

I don't use knot sealer, but that's cause I'm starting with a thin skin. I was told that a knot-sealer doesn't really matter for a thin skin, but I could be wrong. I was wondering where you buy your hair systems and if you could offer tips on how you extend the life so much. Most people tell me 3-4 months is the max, but 6-8 seems godsend in your case.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I can tell you that from my personal experience, and with my clients systems, knot sealer doesn't do anything. I found that when I used it, on a full head bond, it made the bond worse.

Two major causes of excessive shedding are improper knotting and misuse. I have lace systems that are a year old, and still have significant density.

George Hen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't use knot sealer, but that's cause I'm starting with a thin skin. I was told that a knot-sealer doesn't really matter for a thin skin, but I could be wrong. I was wondering where you buy your hair systems and if you could offer tips on how you extend the life so much. Most people tell me 3-4 months is the max, but 6-8 seems godsend in your case.
Through trial and error I’ve figured out a few things which have made a big difference in extending the life of a lace system, all probably as important as each other:

I used to wear tape all the way around the perimeter except for the front on which I used bonding for a few inches. Constantly having to reapply the bonding there meant extra hair loss so I now use tape at the front a few millimetres from the hairline and only have to bond a tiny bit at the front. Ideally I’d tape right to the hairline but the tape makes my hairline look unnatural if I do that.

i don’t ever any products in the hair except for leave in conditioner and I’m even pretty sparing with that - I’ll add it when I feel the hair needs it as opposed to every day which is what I used to do. I also only shampoo and conditioner when I think I really need it and, when I do that, I only ever use conditioner. I learned the hard way once by using shampoo first to wash with the system attached and I got a big knot from it. I changed to washing with conditioner after that and I doubt there would ever be any tangles.

I make sure the hair isn’t too long when I get my system cut in - the longer the hair the more likely it is to tangle, especially if your hair is wavy like mine.

I brush my system through very gently with a wide-toothed comb before going to bed and then when I get up - usually keeps it clear of any tangles.

I always keep my head covered if I go out in the sun - a loose baseball cap usually. That keeps the colour from fading and delays a visit to the salon. I find my salon is pretty rough on the hair system even if I ask them to be gentle - time’s a factor for them I guess and they’re more focused on that.

all of the above might sound a bit tedious but you get into a routine and it doesn’t seem like much effort now tbh.

I should add that I still feel like I have a lot to learn - I’d like to be able to get 9 months - 1 year out of a system but I think that means I’m going to have to adjust to doing all my own maintenance, dyes and hair cuts because I don’t trust a salon will be careful enough compared to me. The only things I’m aiming to rely on eventually are ordering the system itself and having it cut in initially.

hope that helps - if anyone has anything to add or improve I’d love to hear your thoughts

ChromeyFirefox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've also found the same thing as George on salons. I'm on my current one as of October now and it's doing me very well still. But my current salon is great for it. And they really know their stuff. My last one was killing systems within 2 months, if that.

Noah

Reaction score
I do use knot sealer, and my impression is that it does make a difference to the longevity of my systems, although I can't really offer any definitive proof of that. I do the whole lace base with sealer after I have been wearing the system for a week or two - I want to let it settle down from the initial bouffant condition first - don't want to seal that in! Then after that I just go over the hairline and the crown area about every 4 weeks. Those are the areas where excessive shedding is most common and significant. I get 5 - 6 months from my systems, which I think is better than average for Swiss lace units, and I think the sealer contributes. I agree it's definitely no substitute for a good quality supplier using a good knotting technique though.

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Knot sealer, for me at least, creates sort of a new "base" for the tape to stick to. If you are having issues with tape sticking, knot sealer will solve the problem.