Does Finasteride Shrink Your Penis?

Aeroes

Established Member
Reaction score
If the prostate shrinks on Finasteride and is made of a tissue and so is the penis, why is it hard to believe it shrinks your penis? Just curious considering androgens effects on tissues.

TomRiddle

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
The corpus cavernosum after treatment with dutasteride or finasteride: A histomorphometric study in a benign prostatic hyperplasia rodent model

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6116690/

It's just to make an idea since there are no in dept and reliable studies done on humans... Studies on animals are done just to understand basic things, that does not mean same thing will happen in humans, but it also does not mean it could not happen in some at least or at some extent...

But keep this in mind, even if it would happen to you or others, nobody will believe you anyways, you would need ultrasound tests done before and after the treatment and many other tests that nobody does anyways, they don't even get blood tests before prescribing it so it's pointless in trying to understand something that science does not want to understand...

It's all about the money, it's the only thing that showed progress and "minimal damage" at the same time, people pop it like candy lately and what happens happens, people who take it are the only ones who will suffer the consequences, nobody else will..

Last edited:

Bornwithacurse225

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The corpus cavernosum after treatment with dutasteride or finasteride: A histomorphometric study in a benign prostatic hyperplasia rodent model

It's just to make an idea since there are no in dept and reliable studies done on humans... Studies on animals are done just to understand basic things, that does not mean same thing will happen in humans, but it also does not mean it could not happen in some at least or at some extent...

But keep this in mind, even if it would happen to you or others, nobody will believe you anyways, you would need ultrasound tests done before and after the treatment and many other tests that nobody does anyways, they don't even get blood tests before prescribing it so it's pointless in trying to understand something that science does not want to understand...

It's all about the money, it's the only thing that showed progress and "minimal damage" at the same time, people pop it like candy lately and what happens happens, people who take it are the only ones who will suffer the consequences, nobody else will..
Just say yes or no I don’t need to read a book in every thread when I come here

Mighty

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, but I had centimeters to spare. Now I am only above average in penis length.

Mighty

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah sure you did mate, keep telling yourself that Mr big dick haha
You gotta admit it was a nice joke.

But answering the question: if any man noticed that finasteride reduced his penis, no one would use this drug. And there are lots of ppl with penis size complex, much more than hairloss complex.

You need to be really angry/jealous at other men's success in using this pill to believe that.

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It doesn't shrink your penis permanently, but what it does is lower circulating androgens and that's what will give it size even when not erect.

Topher

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It doesn't shrink your penis permanently, but what it does is lower circulating androgens and that's what will give it size even when not erect.
Doesn't shrink your dick period. If it does you have a really weak androgen profile and should look into trt. estrogen has a lot to do with erection and libido quality. If you sit around the office sending emails and then go home to your wife and 5 kids and watch The Bachelor you need to start doing s*** that makes you a man. Like squats, chop firewood, or fight a bear with your bare hands blah blah blah. Give a study that shows 100% of males get shrimp dick on finasteride or dutasteride. I've been on dutasteride for 2 years my dick is the same size. "Lowers circulating androgens" What???? No sorry bro you have no idea what you're talking about.

Topher

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Read about many guys who experienced this.

Also some studies about this:

Effect of androgen deprivation on penile ultrastructure

Abstract

Aim: To investigate the ultrastructural changes of penile corpus cavernosum and tunica albuginea in rats treated with castration or finasteride.

Methods: Eighteen male Sprague-Dawley rats of nine weeks old were randomly divided into three groups with 6 rats each. Group A served as the control, Group B was castrated and Group C, treated with finasteride. Four weeks later, rats were anesthetized and blood samples obtained for the determination of serum testosterone (T) and dihydrotestosterone (DHT) levels; penile tissues were taken for scanning electron microscopy.

Results: The T, free T and DHT levels in Group B and the DHT level in Group C were significantly lower than those in Group A (P<0.05). The tunica albuginea was significantly thinner in Group B than that in Group A (P<0.05), but there was no significant difference between Group C and Group A (P>0.05). Elastic fibers in the tunica albuginea of Group A were very rich and arranged regularly and undulatedly, but in Group B, most of the elastic fibers were replaced by collagenous fibers. In Group C, the tunica albuginea was mainly composed of thick and irregular-arranged collagenous fibers. In Group A, there were abundant smooth muscle fibers in the trabeculae of corpus cavernosum, but they were much less in Group C and scarce or even disappeared in Group B. In Groups B and C, the diminished/disappeared smooth muscle fibers were replaced by irregularly arranged collagenous fibers.

Conclusion: In rats, androgen is essential for maintaining the normal structure of penile tunica albuginea and corpus cavernosum.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12647000/

Abstract

Erectile dysfunction is a common side effect of finasteride and dutasteride treatments. The objective of this study was to investigate the structural changes in the penis using a benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) rodent model treated with dutasteride or finasteride. Sixty male rats were divided into the following groups: C, untreated control rats; C + D, control rats receiving dutasteride; C + F, control rats receiving finasteride; H, untreated spontaneously hypertensive rats (SHRs); H + D, SHRs treated with dutasteride; and H + F, SHRs treated with finasteride. Treatments were performed for 40 days, and penises were collected immediately thereafter. The organs were analyzed using histomorphometric methods to determine the cross-sectional penile area, as well as the surface density (Sv) of smooth muscle fibers, connective tissue, elastic system fibers, and sinusoidal spaces of the corpus cavernosum. The results were compared using a one-way ANOVA with Bonferroni's posttest. Groups C + D and C + F had a significantly smaller penile cross-sectional area, but more elastic system fiber Sv compared to Group C. Group C + D showed less smooth muscle Sv, and Group H showed more connective tissue but a smaller sinusoidal space Sv in the corpus cavernosum compared to Group C. Groups H + D and H + F had less smooth muscle Sv than Group H. Group H + D also had more connective tissue and elastic system fiber Sv than Group H. Both dutasteride and finasteride promoted penile modifications in the control rat penis, although this affect was greater in Group H animals. In this rodent model, dutasteride was the drug that most affected the corpus cavernosum.

Dihydrotestosterone is the active androgen in the maintenance of nitric oxide

https://academic.oup.com/endo/articl...dFrom=fulltext

The building blocks of erection: Nitric oxide...and more nitric oxide

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...-tbb031502.php

One of the most important studies about all this:

Penile vascular abnormalities in young men with persistent side effects after finasteride use for the treatment of androgenic alopecia

Mohit Khera et al, 2020

Background: The constellation of persistent sexual, neurological, and physical adverse effects in patients who discontinue 5?-reductase inhibitors (5ARIs) has garnered recent concern. The objective of this study was to evaluate potential penile vascular changes and persistent adverse effects of 5ARIs in men treated for androgenic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia).
Methods: This was a prospective case-control study with 25 subjects with a history of 5ARI use for Androgenetic Alopecia and 28 controls. Patient self-reported questionnaires including the International Index of Erectile Function (IIEF), International Prostate Symptom Score (IPSS), Patient Health Questionnaire-9 (PHQ-9), the Epworth Sleepiness Scale (ESS) and the Androgen Deficiency in the Aging Male (ADAM) were used. Penile duplex doppler ultrasound (PDDU) results were evaluated in men with a history of 5ARI use.
Results: A significant difference in total IIEF score between the 5ARI (median: 35; IQR: 29–43) and control group (median: 29; IQR: 27–32) (P=0.035) was observed. Seventeen 5ARI subjects (68%) had a vascular abnormality on PDDU. The median (IQR) for total IPSS score for the 5ARI group was 10 [5–16] compared to 3 [2–8] for the controls (P<0.01). The 5ARI group had a higher median total PHQ-9 score than controls [10 (6.5–16) vs. 1 (0–2) (P<0.001)]. Two subjects (8%) committed suicide during or after the study.
Conclusions: While the sexual side effects of 5ARIs are well known, there may be persistent genitourinary, physical, psycho-cognitive, anti-androgenic and penile vascular changes after 5ARI discontinuation. Use of 5ARIs for treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia may lead to persistent sexual, genitourinary, physical, psycho-cognitive, and anti-androgenic sequelae even after cessation of 5ARI therapy.
Keywords: Finasteride; penile duplex doppler; major depressive disorder; hypogonadism; erectile dysfunction (ED) Submitted Nov 25, 2019.
Accepted for publication Feb 25, 2020. doi: 10.21037/tau.2020.03.21

View this article at: http://dx.doi.org/10.21037/tau.2020.03.21

FULL TEXT: http://tau.amegroups.com/article/view/39898/29694

So yes from all the info, it's definitely possible.
I don't know dude, rats? Lol there's a big difference between DHT inhibition and DHT inhibition on top of low androgens in general. Yes if you get into levels that trans people's do, but is that what we are talking about? Just lowering DHT to 70% or 95% after puberty isn't going alter the size of your dick. And if you're having trouble getting full erections does it mean your dick shrunk? No. You get into women hormone levels sure yeah you get boobs and no erections your dick will seem smaller.

Topher

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It isn't only these studies, I have read about this many times. Guys who experienced penile shrinking and even peyronies because of androgen deprivation thanks to fina. (we had an infamous user here, Peterson who had this side effect btw) DHT is an important hormone and inhibiting it for a long time is not a good idea on many levels, guys experiencing this is not a surprise.

I know people who take fina/duta don't want to read this but it's getting more and more clear, fina isn't safe at all. But of course, I do think this is one of the rarer side effects.
I too have read about hypogonadism due to sides of finasteride and dutasteride, but quit literally millions of people have taking it and are on it that don't experience any of these problems and they don't stay up late on the internet all night long on chat forums talking about how they have boobies and less wood now. Now we're talkin about an even smaller minorty of a small % of people that experience any issues. Here's my problem with this forum, there's members here that are a lot smarter than me on these type of things, they typically spend all weekend on PubMed reading studies. Then there's people that come on this forum and talk about taking these meds like they're about to do a 10-week cycle of steroids. Then experience issues and drop it instantly. People should build up slowly and not think Fina will solve all there problems. It's a Cascade of problems and there's a happy medium on many levels. If you're overweight, have man boobs, sleep is sh*t, diet is sh*t or a vegan, I would not suggest finasteride, because your endocrine system is already sh*t. But saying finasteride or duta will shrink your dick is false.

Topher

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No, there is a possibility fina will have an effect on your penile structure and health, it's rare sure but claiming it to be false is not true. And many healthy people who were fit had sides from fina. Long term hormonal treatment like blocking the most androgenic hormone in your body will have more effects on your body than just saving your hair, more and more studies also coming out showing the negative cascading effects these 5ar inhibitors have. I can post a ton of studies or a ton of anecdotes but that won't change your mind. Anyway I had this discussion many times but it's delusional to believe blocking an important hormone for a long period of time is good in any way for you overall health.
It's most likely not going to. Like .1% or less chance, so, saying finasteride shrinks your dick is false.

Last edited:

jh94

My Regimen
Reaction score
Something that confused me and seems common about these rat studies is
1. Some giving them anti androgens during growth / development? Of course in that case it is going to inhibit their cawk growth
2. Giving them dosing such as 1mg finasteride or dutasteride PER KG? That would be like me taking 80mg of dutasteride per day.

That said I am concerned about this. I've decided to measure my dong month/ bi-monthly while on dutasteride and using my bathmate. See if I make gains or stay the same and I'll come back about it.