Does finasteride decrease muscle mass??

onelifeonewar

Reaction score
1 month into finasteride 1mg and everything is good so far. My workout regimen is very intense, as I train 5-6 days a week and compete in men's physique. I was kind of worried since it would be detrimental to me to have that happen. I've read that finasteride has no affect on muscles mass and I've read that it has some sort of affect? I'm beginning to think it is all a mental thing between people who worry too much about it?

I just need a solid answer for this. Thanks guys.

sportsfan12

Established Member
Reaction score
1 month into finasteride 1mg and everything is good so far. My workout regimen is very intense, as I train 5-6 days a week and compete in men's physique. I was kind of worried since it would be detrimental to me to have that happen. I've read that finasteride has no affect on muscles mass and I've read that it has some sort of affect? I'm beginning to think it is all a mental thing between people who worry too much about it?

I dont compete or anything like that but im almost a year into finasteride and i lift like 5 days a week. Everything has been the same in that department while on finasteride

DoctorHouse

Reaction score

Look for the thread by Peapoddy. If that is not proof enough that you will be fine, I don't know what else I can say.

onelifeonewar

Reaction score
I dont compete or anything like that but im almost a year into finasteride and i lift like 5 days a week. Everything has been the same in that department while on finasteride

Good to hear man. Thanks. Would you say it's just a mental thing that some guys say "yes it hinders my gains," etc?

Look for the thread by Peapoddy. If that is not proof enough that you will be fine, I don't know what else I can say.

Thanks. Yeah I actually stumbled across that and felt better about the situation. Although I think the fact that DHT gets lowered by 60-70% has me worried that muscle gains will diminish since DHT is lowered by that amount. And I'm aware of the raise in testosterone but wouldn't the test that sits there just remain there without being put to use in the muscles themselves??

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't work out too much these days as my job is enough of a workout for me, but I have not noticed any muscle loss or strength loss whatsoever. The only thing that I have noticed is a SLIGHT decrease in energy, which has been combated by literally eating an apple during lunch.

So my answer is no.

onelifeonewar

Reaction score
I don't work out too much these days as my job is enough of a workout for me, but I have not noticed any muscle loss or strength loss whatsoever. The only thing that I have noticed is a SLIGHT decrease in energy, which has been combated by literally eating an apple during lunch.

So my answer is no.

Good to hear. Thanks. I also saw that some people mentioned fat gain?

eenrak

Established Member
Reaction score
The people who claim that they gain fat and blame finasteride also don't no basic body building concepts such as cutting and bulking. If you only gain fat on your bulk, you likely had a too high calorie intake and probably didn't progressively overload your workouts. I mean, dht can be used for building muscle, but you can take dutasteride and still build plenty. If that is not indication enough, I don't know what is.

onelifeonewar

Reaction score
The people who claim that they gain fat and blame finasteride also don't no basic body building concepts such as cutting and bulking. If you only gain fat on your bulk, you likely had a too high calorie intake and probably didn't progressively overload your workouts. I mean, dht can be used for building muscle, but you can take dutasteride and still build plenty. If that is not indication enough, I don't know what is.

I hear you. I think I was just scaring myself with the rubbish I was reading online. Thanks for the input

Digidako

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on finasteride for a while now and I haven't noticed any decrease in my gains. As a competitor in Mens Physique i'm sure you're aware of the hardening effects of DHT and its derivatives (Winstrol, Masterone, etc) have on muscles, and if you are competing against guys who are using highly androgenic AAS you would be at a disadvantage even if you weren't using finasteride. If you're competing in natural competitions, and you're workouts are solid and your diet is stellar I can't see a problem however.