Does Anyone Understand The Science Behind Shedding?

EndlessPossibilities

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
According to all the internet articles i read shedding is a normal process. I agree with this statement.

They also claim its normal to lose 100-150 hairs a day. What is this claim based on ? The average person? Because the average man balds....

Ive been on finasteride for a year and the whole time except maybe for a week I've been shedding none stop. Nothing crazy but shedding. Ive read many reports of people who's hairs don't shed after they get on medication. Hell my best friend who has a juvenile hairline barely sheds I can only ever see him get one or two hairs to come out of his head when he runs his hand through.

Has anyone seen DEFINITE improvement in their hair even though their hair sheds never stopped while on anti androgens?

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
150,000 hairs on your head divided by a healthy anagen phase of 1,095 days equals 137 hairs being shed and replaced every single day in order to maintain 150,000 total hairs.

Prepareyourhair

My Regimen
Reaction score
According to all the internet articles i read shedding is a normal process. I agree with this statement.

They also claim its normal to lose 100-150 hairs a day. What is this claim based on ? The average person? Because the average man balds....

Ive been on finasteride for a year and the whole time except maybe for a week I've been shedding none stop. Nothing crazy but shedding. Ive read many reports of people who's hairs don't shed after they get on medication. Hell my best friend who has a juvenile hairline barely sheds I can only ever see him get one or two hairs to come out of his head when he runs his hand through.

Has anyone seen DEFINITE improvement in their hair even though their hair sheds never stopped while on anti androgens?

If after a year on finasteride you're still shedding you unfortunately might be a non-responder. This is exactly what happened to me and then I made the switch ti dutasteride and it changed my hair. No more shedding (except initial big shed which is to be expected) and my hair is growing better than ever. I would recommend talking to your doctor about it because I have read many cases where finasteride did not work but dutasteride does. Also if you aren't get on minoxidil and derma rolling. Good Luck and may the luscious locks be with you

russelldawso

My Regimen
Reaction score
If after a year on finasteride you're still shedding you unfortunately might be a non-responder. This is exactly what happened to me and then I made the switch ti dutasteride and it changed my hair. No more shedding (except initial big shed which is to be expected) and my hair is growing better than ever. I would recommend talking to your doctor about it because I have read many cases where finasteride did not work but dutasteride does. Also if you aren't get on minoxidil and derma rolling. Good Luck and may the luscious locks be with you

Did you transition from finasteride to dutasteride on like a duty on one day and finasteride on the other 6 days, then slowly increase the dutasteride days? Or how did you do it? I've been on finasteride for 5 years and I feel in the last week I've shed a lot more than normal (like 30 hairs in the shower) so I'm thinking it's starting to lose its power and want to switch to dutasteride. Any advice please ?

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Shedding is extremely hit or miss. Sometimes I seem to shed a lot but my hair status doesn't worsen. Other times I start using something, I'm sure the shedding has mostly stopped, but I still see my hair worsening. Generally, it's a better idea to look at what's happening on top of your head rather than what's coming off it.