Does anyone hide thier Hairloss treatments from loved ones?

beast

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently ordered finasteride from In house planning to keep my treatment private from my family and everyone. Well, wife went to the post office and got the package while I was at work and opened it. I was happy to see the package when I got home but freaked when it was open. She later told me she googled finasteride and knew "why I was taking it." Hairloss has been a topic we have NEVER talked about, but she cuts my hair so its not like she doesn't see it. I feel embaressed about the ordeal, but kind of glad I don't have to hide the new treatments I have just started. I feel like a fool over the whole idea.

s.a.f

Reaction score
I can understand you wanting to keep it secret from people you know, but your wife is a different matter. Surely you should'nt have been worried about discussing it with her? :dunno:

hairsucks

Established Member
Reaction score
I find it's best to be open with people. There is nothing wrong with trying to keep your hair is there? The only people I don't tell is my mates becuase there bound to joke about it.

It will be more imbarrising when your wife is playing with your floppy c**k and it doesn't get hard anymore :$

jdr_333

Reaction score
I have told almost everyone. I would tell anyone who asks. I haven't told some people at work because I want to see if they notice a difference and ask about it. If they do I would tell them. I figure if it works I should let people know so they could try it too.

Clarkyboy

Reaction score
I didn’t have much choice in keeping it a secret from my friends as in the process of checking through customs on a lads weekend away to Amsterdam the security staff happily unpacked my bag infront of the whole group and pulled out a can of Rogaine foam!! Luckily the heat was diverted from me as they unpacked a rampant rabbit from my mates bag also. I get a lot of stick about hairloss from my mates but I never bite if I was to show my mates a weakness they would never stop.

MrAnon

Reaction score
Every family member I've mentioned my hair loss to is still absolutely convinced it's just stress and will grow back. The extremely strong opinions from them and every dermatologist I saw were the reason I didn't start treatment back in March when my hair looked fine. I'm pretty sure the stress of my parents' divorce heavily accelerated my thinning.

I just ordered some Finax from United Pharmacies because I didn't want to go through the trouble of trying to get a legit Proscar prescription (and Propecia is far too expensive). I don't plan to let anyone know I'm taking it for the foreseeable future. Maybe if there is some improvement in 6-12 months. I'm going to get a proper Proscar prescription just to remove any lingering doubt about fake drugs when my 4 month supply of Finax runs out.

Doug Douglas

Established Member
Reaction score
All of my immediate family knows, and my girlfriend knows, though she insists it's not true. I would really really not want any of my coworkers to find out, or any of my not super close friends. It's like revealing your weiner is crooked or something.

beast

Established Member
Reaction score
hairsucks said:
I find it's best to be open with people. There is nothing wrong with trying to keep your hair is there? The only people I don't tell is my mates becuase there bound to joke about it.

It will be more imbarrising when your wife is playing with your floppy c**k and it doesn't get hard anymore :$

LOl, yeah

beast

Established Member
Reaction score
MrAnon said:
Every family member I've mentioned my hair loss to is still absolutely convinced it's just stress and will grow back. The extremely strong opinions from them and every dermatologist I saw were the reason I didn't start treatment back in March when my hair looked fine. I'm pretty sure the stress of my parents' divorce heavily accelerated my thinning.

I just ordered some Finax from United Pharmacies because I didn't want to go through the trouble of trying to get a legit Proscar prescription (and Propecia is far too expensive). I don't plan to let anyone know I'm taking it for the foreseeable future. Maybe if there is some improvement in 6-12 months. I'm going to get a proper Proscar prescription just to remove any lingering doubt about fake drugs when my 4 month supply of Finax runs out.

I can understand this. I am a nurse and didn't want to go through the hassle of going to the dr. and telling everyone I came in contact at the dr office WHY I was there. Bad enough I have to tell the person that scedules my appointment about it ("What is your appointment regarding?) They always ask this. Then the medical assistant or nurse will ask, and finally the dr.

My wife and I honestly never , ever discussed hairloss. She has never joked about it and when one friend noticed I was thinning, she denied it.

pinkfloyd7

Established Member
Reaction score
they will put out your rogaine and propecia from your bag when you go through customs at the airport ?! please tell me this is not true

cal

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm queasy about admitting to Finasteride in particular.

Not because I'm actually bothered by admitting to treating hair loss, but because I suspect that sooner or later that stuff is gonna be "outed" for doing erectile/reproductive damage in a bigger way. It won't happen now. But let something truly better come along for hair loss and then we'll see how many friends Finasteride still has in a big hurry.

The real story will probably only be a few extreme cases and a class-action suit, but you know how the news media and rumors tend to exaggerate things. I'd feel weird about being "that guy who was taking the penis-killing pills" when that eventually happens.

Just my unscientific opinion.

JonnyBgood

Reaction score
My guess would be that if you hide it for a long time and your girl finds out herself, she'll give you the "I don't care, why didn't you tell me before?". I figure most girls will give that reaction, so I'm just open with everyone. Take it with humor

G

I think keeping a secret from your wife is pretty awful unless you think she'd make fun of you for it or make your life hell for doing it.

I would keep it a secret from a girlfriend until I got to know her pretty well. I kept Toppik secret from one ex when I was using it, she never had a clue. Not sure if that was the right thing to do or not because I did know her pretty well, but I dunno. I mean would you guys share concealer use with your non-married significant others? Do you regard it as different than "treatment" like propecia or minoxidil etc

Maxpwr

Established Member
Reaction score
I reckon the use of concealers is slightly different to treatments like minoxidil and finasteride... That's something I wouldn't really tell anyone if I used it. It's more of a day-to-day quick fix, much like wearing a piece.

Keeping it from your wife or long term partner is another thing though. This is the person you are meant to share a profound understanding with, and you'd think if there's anyone you could tell, it would be them...

If you did keep it from your wife, you'd wanna make damn sure she never found out - I know I'd be slightly disappointed if my girlfriend suddenly announced that she's been using botox or having collagen injections or something like that without ever telling me. Even worse would be if I found out by myself...

I tell my girl everything about my treatments and she is very supportive. We often joke about it, while I'm chasing her around the room with my eye dropper full of "hair"... I swear she's under the impression that if even a drop of minoxidil touches her skin she'll sprout tufts of uncontrollable hair in a matter of hours (if only!)

I really wish more women were as supportive and understanding as she is. Then again, her dad's pretty much bald, and she has a brother who has also started losing hair slightly...

As far as telling my mates about treatments, I actually don't mind at all now. Most of them would be understanding, and if they did think it was strange, I would simply explain the situation in a way they would see the importance. Most of them are pretty health-conscious and into keeping up appearances so I couldn't see them taking it the wrong way.

beast

Established Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
I think keeping a secret from your wife is pretty awful unless you think she'd make fun of you for it or make your life hell for doing it.

I would keep it a secret from a girlfriend until I got to know her pretty well. I kept Toppik secret from one ex when I was using it, she never had a clue. Not sure if that was the right thing to do or not because I did know her pretty well, but I dunno. I mean would you guys share concealer use with your non-married significant others? Do you regard it as different than "treatment" like propecia or minoxidil etc

I wouldn't talk about concealers, or any hair loss products unless the relationship was serious.

beast

Established Member
Reaction score
Maxpwr said:
I reckon the use of concealers is slightly different to treatments like minoxidil and finasteride... That's something I wouldn't really tell anyone if I used it. It's more of a day-to-day quick fix, much like wearing a piece.

Keeping it from your wife or long term partner is another thing though. This is the person you are meant to share a profound understanding with, and you'd think if there's anyone you could tell, it would be them...

If you did keep it from your wife, you'd wanna make damn sure she never found out - I know I'd be slightly disappointed if my girlfriend suddenly announced that she's been using botox or having collagen injections or something like that without ever telling me. Even worse would be if I found out by myself...

I tell my girl everything about my treatments and she is very supportive. We often joke about it, while I'm chasing her around the room with my eye dropper full of "hair"... I swear she's under the impression that if even a drop of minoxidil touches her skin she'll sprout tufts of uncontrollable hair in a matter of hours (if only!)

I really wish more women were as supportive and understanding as she is. Then again, her dad's pretty much bald, and she has a brother who has also started losing hair slightly...

As far as telling my mates about treatments, I actually don't mind at all now. Most of them would be understanding, and if they did think it was strange, I would simply explain the situation in a way they would see the importance. Most of them are pretty health-conscious and into keeping up appearances so I couldn't see them taking it the wrong way.

Yes, women with bald dads or brothers seem to understand our struggle so much better. In my case all my inlaws are hairy beasts.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
beast said:
I recently ordered finasteride from In house planning to keep my treatment private from my family and everyone. Well, wife went to the post office and got the package while I was at work and opened it. I was happy to see the package when I got home but freaked when it was open. She later told me she googled finasteride and knew "why I was taking it." Hairloss has been a topic we have NEVER talked about, but she cuts my hair so its not like she doesn't see it. I feel embaressed about the ordeal, but kind of glad I don't have to hide the new treatments I have just started. I feel like a fool over the whole idea.

Dude I cant believe your wife opened a package that was clearly addressed to you! That is just plain rude (even if it is your wife) Its fair to say curiousity got the better of her, but that is extremelly nosey. She may have some trust issues with you. Id be be pissed. But yeah I find it weird a man cant discuss his hairloss with his wife. If you cant discuss it with her who can you discuss it with?

Anyway I have also hidden all my treatments from family and friends for many MANY years. However im growing tired of hiding. It hinders your life and relationship with them. I agree with the person who said its just best to come clean. Its a massive weight of your shoulders. (Not that ive confessed yet, but i suspect it will be).

Im over it..

beast

Established Member
Reaction score
metalheaddude said:
beast said:

Dude I cant believe your wife opened a package that was clearly addressed to you! That is just plain rude (even if it is your wife) Its fair to say curiousity got the better of her, but that is extremelly nosey. She may have some trust issues with you. Id be be pissed. But yeah I find it weird a man cant discuss his hairloss with his wife. If you cant discuss it with her who can you discuss it with?

Anyway I have also hidden all my treatments from family and friends for many MANY years. However im growing tired of hiding. It hinders your life and relationship with them. I agree with the person who said its just best to come clean. Its a massive weight of your shoulders. (Not that ive confessed yet, but i suspect it will be).

Im over it..

I agree it was rude and I told her not to snoop. It is not like I CAN'T discuss hairloss with her...it is just something we have never talked about. I pefer it that way. It beats having her watch me cry myself to sleep each night worried about the hairloss. She or my family never cracked jokes about it when I started to really lose hair and buzzed it low. They have been respectful.

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i used to hide it from my family. not anymore now. i feel much more comfortable having them know and not hiding it. i dont have to secretely pop pills and stuff anymore. my suggestion is to discuss it with your loved ones asap, it will more than likely help.