Does anyone here keep their hairloss a secret?

Primex

Established Member
Reaction score
I know some of use can't keep it a secret no matter what we do, but there are others that don't LOOK like their balding at all until they reveal it. I'm just curious because I don't tell anyone that I'm on Propecia and Minoxidil. My friends think I'm using nizoral because of scalp itch, but that's it. I can kinda hide it a little, or maybe my friends are just being nice and not saying anything about it, who knows? Does anyone keep it from their friends and not mention it? Or is anyone here in a relationship and don't talk about it with their significant others because of embarrassment?

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
back in the early days when it was just a receeding hairline - I had enough hair to still cover up my forehead so it was un-noticeable (until the wind blew :)

Now at NW5A - there's no hiding it.

I don't go out of my way to tell casual passers-by about my hairloss prevention attempts though.

Primex

Established Member
Reaction score
hair_tomorrow said:
back in the early days when it was just a receeding hairline - I had enough hair to still cover up my forehead so it was un-noticeable (until the wind blew :)

:lol: Gawd, I hate strong winds, they really through me off my balance in my hairloss. It totally ruins the illusion that I have a good head of hair.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
btw - your avatar is, umm, disturbing :freaked2:

cool though.

amrod

Established Member
Reaction score
yep i keep it a secret

its f*****g FUCKED

wind fucks me up every time... man im so sick of this im feeling catastrophic

Felk

Reaction score
I keep it secret from everyone but my family.

I don't tell my girlfriend, but hey, im 18 so who wouldn't keep it secret?!?

However talking about it does help with the mental trauma associated with male pattern baldness immensely. It gives you a reality check, revealing how insignificant your hair loss is in everyone else's mind, and how much more to life there is than hair. This relieves the burden immensely.

I think the oft repeated phrase "there is more to life than hair" really is an understatement, because it's amazing how blind we all can be to everything apart from our little problem.

edit - typos

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's a good idea to keep it from your significant other. Going bald is tough to go through, so having someone to talk to and open up to (like your girlfriend/wife) is important.

Back when my hairloss wasn't really noticeable I was already telling my girlfriend about it and asking her honest opinion. She told me not to worry cuz you can't even tell, and that really got my mind off of things. Then when it started to really get bad, I talked about it with her and she told me a lot of encouraging things which really helped a lot.....

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Yep. I'm in the closet about my hair loss.

Let's see... my family thinks I'm using Propecia, which I WAS using about a year or so ago...

But girlfriends? Nope. No clue that I'm fighting a battle behind their backs.

So stressful sometimes.

We need hairloss club meetings.

Trash

Reaction score
well my friends know that i m loosing hair but they DONT know that im taking propecia and rogain :D

Primex

Established Member
Reaction score
hair_tomorrow said:

cool though.

:lol: I saw it on a myspace site and thought it was hilarious. Sorry if it bothers you, I'll be changing it in a couple days anyway.

I don't know if I'll ever tell anyone that I'm actually buying products about my hairloss. It's almost as if I'm a weird guy in sunglasses and a trenchcoat going to p**rn store buying videos, but replace p**rn store with drug store and videos with Propecia and Rogaine.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
lol, funny you should say that, Primex.

I used to find myself at the local Wal-Mart at 1:00am buying Rogaine in the self-checkout booth, along with Nizoral and T/Gel, of course.

Now, I'm the guy who shops at home in his underwear.

Kojak85

Reaction score
Hey!

yeah I keep it a secret... I dont know if im fooling anybody, but iv told some of my closest friends, I asked one of them if he had noticed and he said no, but he might just be nice... who knows, cant trust them :p

well actually, one of my friends said, hey man i think your going bald, like a year ago, thats when i saw it for the first time, i felt like sh*t, but then i found this page. i had never even heard of rogaine or propecia so i was releved when i read some of the stuff here.

one thing that is on my mind, the day im sitting with my friends and one of them says: "hey! man! your going bald!" my other friends will gather around my back head and gasp. " hahaha! man your going bald" then it will be the topic for like an hour or so. What am i going to do? just sit there? man its a scary thought

anyway i wear a cap most of the day, keeps my hair conceled, but it feels like im wearing a tupe! i hate this, and im going to the beach with my frinds soon, as soon as i jump in the water, im fucked! ahhhh this sucks

powersam

Reaction score
if you can keep your hairloss secret doesnt that basically mean you have succeeded in treating it? i mean if noone knows your losing your hair then to all intents and purposes you are doing ok

beaner

Reaction score
PowerSam said:
if you can keep your hairloss secret doesnt that basically mean you have succeeded in treating it? i mean if noone knows your losing your hair then to all intents and purposes you are doing ok

I agree. I wish I could hide my hair loss. Now that would be a real trick.

Primex

Established Member
Reaction score
Well some people have longer hair to hide some bald spots. Also some people don't tell others about the lengths that they're going to hide that fact that they're trying to fight the hair loss. Some guys just accept it and try to be all manly men about it and decide to say the hell with it and shave their head.

powersam

Reaction score
i honestly think short hair hides hairloss far more effectively than long hair does. Moreover it is far less prone to being uncovered by wind. a windy day is a comb over nightmare i would assume.

jeffsss

Reaction score
i'm pretty sure everyone I am with reguraly knows i'm losing my hair and i'm on propecia.

what's the point of keeping it a secret.. when you do that and THEN they notice you'll get an earfull " your losing hair" no sh*t sherlock

Damn Wind

Reaction score
I disagree about telling your girlfriend your upset about balding. It is my opinion that revealing a superficial concern with your thinning hair will magnify a lack of self-confidence. And which do you think women find less attractive?

ShedMaster

Reaction score
Primex said:
hair_tomorrow said:

cool though.

:lol: I saw it on a myspace site and thought it was hilarious. Sorry if it bothers you, I'll be changing it in a couple days anyway.

I don't know if I'll ever tell anyone that I'm actually buying products about my hairloss. It's almost as if I'm a weird guy in sunglasses and a trenchcoat going to p**rn store buying videos, but replace p**rn store with drug store and videos with Propecia and Rogaine.

disturbing yes... but I think Solo's avatar is mucho more upsetting!