Does anyone check out people's hairlines when they're out and about?

MI92

Established Member
Reaction score
I can't be the only one that does this? Ever since I noticed my hair shedding excessively I always find me staring at people's hairlines.

I'll just inspect men's hairlines when I'm out shopping, or on the train. I'll be like (in my head) "yup that guys is thinning hard, he should consider minoxidil and finasteride ASAP" or "Showing signs of male pattern baldness, NW2, he should start worrying" or "god damn that lucky B*stard" (referring to the guy in his forties with a perfect NW1). And I don't know if it's just me, but there seem to be tons of bald/balding men here in the UK (London) compared to other cities I've visited, maybe other UK members can confirm.

Never used to care about this before. When I was having skin problems (dermatitis) a few years back I used to always inspect people's skin (faces). Nowadays I notice I hardly look at the skin..just hair.

Folliman

Established Member
Reaction score
I do. I wonder what it feels like being 40 and never have cared about hair loss

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think everyone does that. We're always comparing ourselves to everyone else. If everyone was bald, we wouldn't care, it's the comparison that matters.

Definitely the UK has a super high prevalence of male pattern baldness, Ireland does too, similar genetic pool. I'd guess other northern european countries are similarly affected. In Japan and east asian countries in general, almost everyone (99%+) is NW1 right until their 40s, then it starts to normalise to western levels in late 40s and 50s. I think America has a lower prevalence of male pattern baldness than the UK.

We're humans, we always compare ourselves to others, height, penis size, hair, face, teeth, age. skin, money, talent, sexual partners, girlfriends, wives, lives, cars, houses. We're always comparing. If we're above average, it makes us happy. If we're average, we want more, but we're okay. If we're below average, it definitely makes us unhappy. Any man with male pattern baldness in his 20s or 30s is below average, it makes us unhappy. It's difficult to be content when life deals you a significantly worse hand than most other people.

Another

Reaction score
I had never actually noticed it on other people -let alone cared about their hairloss- until one day my (then) gf made a comment about it and it hit me like a ton of bricks.

Needless to say, I have been an avid norwood-watcher since.

Most people don't care about it, in the sense that they don't care about anyone in general either. Obviously, it's a whole different story when it comes to dating.

Folliman

Established Member
Reaction score
I also feel happy when I see "warriors" with advanced NWs who shave it all off and still look good. I always think "good for him" for embracing baldness. Those are the people who truly win the fight because they ally with the inevitable winner: male pattern baldness. I think I'll eventually do it but I'm still far from it.

sheraz1392

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well it really feels like taking a sword to the chest when i see NW1s in their 30s.. it makes me think that life is unfair.Nw1 blokes in their 30s have life on easy mode while here i am 22 years old and already hating my life. ****

Raz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I do the Norwood-observing thing all the goddamn time. It's like a pro sport or something. I kind of laugh at myself for doing it so much. I mean, it's so sad I am paying so much attention to hair. However, I do it less now that I've regained a lot of ground myself. Or at least doing the observing doesn't make me as sad anymore.

I think "normal people" are really blind towards balding in general, unless you have a severe bald patch, huuuuge amounts of diffuse thinning or then a visible NW3+ hairline, or any of these combined.

Mostly thick NW2.5s, minorly/moderately diffuse thinning NW2s or people who have "monk spots" on their vertex but with otherwise good hair (who can easily use concealers or grow some hair to cover the spot and style it) - most people view these kind of people as completely non-balding. It's only when you start balding yourself when you start seeing the patterns (literally) and knowing what is "normal hair" and what isn't.

I know that was the case for me at least. When I was like 17 there were many people who I thought had a normal head of hair, but thinking back now (and looking at pictures/videos), there have been some obvious NW3s and the like.

Dazzel

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, Most people with a full head of hair probably wouldn't even notice a NW2 But I can spot it from a mile off. It has now become a second nature.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't be the only one that does this? Ever since I noticed my hair shedding excessively I always find me staring at people's hairlines.

I'll just inspect men's hairlines when I'm out shopping, or on the train. I'll be like (in my head) "yup that guys is thinning hard, he should consider minoxidil and finasteride ASAP" or "Showing signs of male pattern baldness, NW2, he should start worrying" or "god damn that lucky B*stard" (referring to the guy in his forties with a perfect NW1). And I don't know if it's just me, but there seem to be tons of bald/balding men here in the UK (London) compared to other cities I've visited, maybe other UK members can confirm.

Never used to care about this before. When I was having skin problems (dermatitis) a few years back I used to always inspect people's skin (faces). Nowadays I notice I hardly look at the skin..just hair.

Yes, most men are bald/balding here (at least in in there 30's and over)

RoyD

Established Member
Reaction score
of course .. I do it all the time ever since I knew I had male pattern baldness. It just sucks to see old men with NW1.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
I do the Norwood-observing thing all the goddamn time. It's like a pro sport or something. I kind of laugh at myself for doing it so much. I mean, it's so sad I am paying so much attention to hair. However, I do it less now that I've regained a lot of ground myself. Or at least doing the observing doesn't make me as sad anymore.

I think "normal people" are really blind towards balding in general, unless you have a severe bald patch, huuuuge amounts of diffuse thinning or then a visible NW3+ hairline, or any of these combined.

Mostly thick NW2.5s, minorly/moderately diffuse thinning NW2s or people who have "monk spots" on their vertex but with otherwise good hair (who can easily use concealers or grow some hair to cover the spot and style it) - most people view these kind of people as completely non-balding. It's only when you start balding yourself when you start seeing the patterns (literally) and knowing what is "normal hair" and what isn't.

I know that was the case for me at least. When I was like 17 there were many people who I thought had a normal head of hair, but thinking back now (and looking at pictures/videos), there have been some obvious NW3s and the like.

All very true but I will go a little off topic. I think people on this forum put way to much emphasis on being seen as non balding. As you put it thick Norwood 2.5 or vertex thinning will not be seen as balding. But lets assume some people will notice this, so what? I don't believe it changes the quality of your life. I am surrounded by a few people in the early stages of hair loss, they still style it and the good looking ones have no issues with women or society in general. Despite it being somewhat obvious they have lost some hair. My own experience is similar too.

Currently I want my hairline back for myself really, to look better and adopt different hair styles.

Parise

Reaction score
yeah i check everything on everybody, hairlines, how high is the hairline, what's it shaped like, density, cowlicks, or wheter the amount of scalp being visible can be viewed as 'normal'
when i talk to somebody i have a hard time not checking out the hair, it is kind of pathetic.
even for myself, when i look into the mirror it's almost like i don't have a face anymore, it's only the hair i'm paying attention to.

Reactions: Raz

blackg

Reaction score
I also feel happy when I see "warriors" with advanced NWs who shave it all off and still look good. I always think "good for him" for embracing baldness. Those are the people who truly win the fight because they ally with the inevitable winner: male pattern baldness. I think I'll eventually do it but I'm still far from it.
The "still look good" part is the key.
Some men, me included, look terrible with a shaved head.

I look a bit like a retarded chess champion.

- - - Updated - - -

I had never actually noticed it on other people -let alone cared about their hairloss- until one day my (then) gf made a comment about it and it hit me like a ton of bricks.

Needless to say, I have been an avid norwood-watcher since.

Most people don't care about it, in the sense that they don't care about anyone in general either. Obviously, it's a whole different story when it comes to dating.
Can you tell us exactly what it was that your ex girlfriend said?