Do yourself a favour and stay away from the forum and mirror

jd_uk

Reaction score
I'm only just waking up to the fact that I don't need to treat hair loss to be happy in myself...do the same guys. Most of you do it because you want to appear more attractive - well you can get what you want without hair so just get out and do it. Worrying about hair loss will affect every or at worst, ruin aspect of your life. It's a natural process and if you don't treat it like a problem then nobody else will wither - including many of those hot women we'd all love to get attention from.

Oh and ffs...iif you are messing with your internal hormones then make absolutely sure that you get regular health check ups. Hair loss is not worth that sh*t.

Anyway, I'm out. take care guys.

jd_uk

Reaction score
dudemon said:
Let me guess ... you're what? ... a NW1.5? ... or, NW2?

IMO, only younger guys like you, who barely have any noticeable signs of male pattern baldness (if any), are the ones who come on bald forums and make such bold statements. Its easy to just shrug it off like its no big deal, if it really doesn't pertain to you all that much (yet).

Wait ... until you get older and to a more advanced state of hairloss. Wait ... until you have a "horshoe" (like Jason Alexander). Then, I guarantee that you won't be making such statements.

male pattern baldness has a way of making ANY man behave like a whining, scared dog with his tail between his legs. And if you don't think that will ever be you, then wait ... society will automatically try to 'nudge' you down that path whether you like it or not. This is what happens to guys who suffer from major premature male pattern baldness at such a young age (20's to early 30's). Society has a way of making assumptions and preconceptions about people based on appearances only. There is no way to "prepare" for this; you'll know if, and when, you ever get to that point. (For your sake, you should hope you don't).

I'll put it this way:
When you're majorly bald (escpecially at a young age), you've already been judged a 'loser' by the majority of the general population ... no matter what you say or do, or how you act. If you try to 'overcompensate' by acting overly confident, then you won't be taken seriously by the same society... or worse, regarded as an arrogant a$$hole. When you become majorly bald, you will be considered "lesser" of a man whether you like it or not. That is just reality. Take it from someone who has been down that path.

But its all about how you carry yourself - despite all of that- is what gets respect among some of regular society. don't expect everyone to approve of you when you are bald because some people won't ... no matter what.

It's only when you get big-time bald and are able to just shrug it off ... THEN you will have accomplished something! But not until you reach that point.

IMO, statements like yours only apply to guys who barely have ANY hairloss at all ... =< NW2

I've been told recently that I'm about a NW3...and my thinning is diffuse so it looks like I will be bald all over just like my dad/cousin etc. But you know what,even if I'm not completely bald, that doesn't matter because I've spoken to guys who are recently (on the internet) and they couldn't give a sh*t about being bald. They went bald early, shaved it off and didn't think about it again. They simply say 'who knows if i would have had more girlfriends than i have - one thing is likely that they wouldnt be the same types of women,i would have attracted the ones who didn't care about hair loss rather than the ones who do'.

and its true. it is possible to get attention from women when you're bald. I went out last night and looked around to see loads of bald guys with hot girls.

Basically if you're obsessed about hair loss (like I have been), then you have mental issues which need resolving. The hair loss is not the real issue. You have one life which you can either spend worrying, or living.

If you want to take hormone inhibitors to try and stop it then fine but at least forget about your hair. Personally, I think messing with your bodies chemistry for something so natural is f'n stupid. Don't get me wrong - when feeling depressed I have been tempted many times - but now I'm overcoming my depression then the idea is just so ridiculous. I'm gonna do the standard - keep myself in good shape, be confident, dress well and accept myself. Maybe I will attract less women as i lose hair but judging by what other guys manage I will still be able to get the hot ones. I'm certainly not gonna risk sexual issues and god knows what else in the long term by shutting down my most powerful sex hormones.

Up to you mate, be miserable or be happy - its your choice. I'm only just waking up to the fact that i have a choice.

Jaae

Reaction score
How did you get to feeling this way, jd?

I have recently began anti-depressants from the doctors as I am so down about the way I look it leaves me unable to leave the house. The self-conciousness I feel about myself is overwhelming and I am 100% pre-occupied with the way I look. I just seem to be getting worse and worse as the hair slips further away. I am so thin on top now I have little choice but to shave it all off. Pretty much a horseshoe at 23 :(

I should mention though that hairloss isn't my only worry. I have other minor issues but I am also about 3 stone underweight. I have gotten to thinking that to give myself a fighting chance of being attractive as a bald man I have to be in good shape. Underweight, bald and pale has left me looking ill. That's what I can't stand. Sometimes I wonder whether my baldness would affect me so much if I wasn't so thin. I think it's the overall 'ill' look I have that troubles me most. I'm getting to a point where I wish hairloss was my 'only' concern about my appearance.

I have started working out, though it will be years before I reach my goal weight. I was a fool to have not started this years ago when I still have a little bit of hair to fall back on.

You have the positive attitude I really need to have, otherwise I'm just going to waste me life like I have these past 6 years. Sometimes I feel suicidal I'm so unhappy about the way I look. :dunno:

s.a.f

Reaction score
Jaae said:
I am so down about the way I look it leaves me unable to leave the house. The self-conciousness I feel about myself is overwhelming and I am 100% pre-occupied with the way I look. I just seem to be getting worse and worse as the hair slips further away. I am so thin on top now I have little choice but to shave it all off. Pretty much a horseshoe at 23 :(

I should mention though that hairloss isn't my only worry. I have other minor issues but I am also about 3 stone underweight. I have gotten to thinking that to give myself a fighting chance of being attractive as a bald man I have to be in good shape. Underweight, bald and pale has left me looking ill. That's what I can't stand. Sometimes I wonder whether my baldness would affect me so much if I wasn't so thin. I think it's the overall 'ill' look I have that troubles me most. I'm getting to a point where I wish hairloss was my 'only' concern about my appearance.

I have started working out, though it will be years before I reach my goal weight. I was a fool to have not started this years ago when I still have a little bit of hair to fall back on.

You have the positive attitude I really need to have, otherwise I'm just going to waste me life like I have these past 6 years. Sometimes I feel suicidal I'm so unhappy about the way I look. :dunno:

Sounds like your typical HairLossTalk.com member. :whistle:

jd_uk

Reaction score
Jaae said:
How did you get to feeling this way, jd?

I have recently began anti-depressants from the doctors as I am so down about the way I look it leaves me unable to leave the house. The self-conciousness I feel about myself is overwhelming and I am 100% pre-occupied with the way I look. I just seem to be getting worse and worse as the hair slips further away. I am so thin on top now I have little choice but to shave it all off. Pretty much a horseshoe at 23 :(

My friend, that was me very, very recently. Don't get me wrong I'm still fighting the addiction of checking my hair etc but really that is all it is. I was projecting my depression and all my problems onto my thinning hairline.

I'm having counselling for social anxiety and depression and only recently have I realised that the only person who can pull me out of this sh*t is me. Look around you at the guys who are bald with hot girls despite being bald. They have what they have because they're masculine and don't apologise for who they are.

Get yourself down your doctors clinic and tell them your problems - be open and honest - it's hard and you will have moments where you relapse but you can change and be happy.

Going bald is not a disability or an illness - being depressed about it is.

Join me bro.

jd_uk

Reaction score
Oh and btw just get yourself training hard in the gym 3-4 times a week, dress well, eat a good high protein diet - make some new friends and before you know it you'll look back and think who was that sad person who i used to know.

Girls love confidence - remember, the guy who was voted the best 'pick up artist' in the world is a skinny guy with not a hair on his head.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
dudemon said:
jd_uk said:
Oh and btw just get yourself training hard in the gym 3-4 times a week, dress well, eat a good high protein diet - make some new friends and before you know it you'll look back and think who was that sad person who i used to know.

Girls love confidence - remember, the guy who was voted the best 'pick up artist' in the world is a skinny guy with not a hair on his head.

Yeah Ok. I guess if it doesn't affect you much (because you don't have much hairloss yet anyways), then it shouldn't be that big of a concern. I agree with what you're saying. However, some of us - myself included, are not so fortunate. :(

We have ('had' in my case) MAJOR hairloss a a very young age. For example, I was a NW4 at 22-23 years old. Hell ... I was a NW3 (probably more bald than you) ... at 19!

I was the ONLY guy in HIGHSCHOOL that had a noticeable balding pattern developing (NW1.5 to 2) .. when I was 17 years old!

Now if THAT wouldn't make any poor soul feel like a "freaK' (in a bad way) I don't know what would?!?!

Back in highschool, during my senior year, I can remember going into the boys bathroom, and other guys would be laughing at me and cracking jokes about me combing my hair.... along the lines of: "Hey man, pretty soon you're gonna need a toupee ... ahahahahaha!"

Oh ... those hurtfull times! It STILL hurts thinking back on that, and its been almost 25 years! :bigun2:

And yet...you still managed to get married and have sex.

Think about it.

P.S

are guys who are higher Norwoods in their early 20s more likely to go slick bald?

s.a.f

Reaction score
Oknow said:
are guys who are higher Norwoods in their early 20s more likely to go slick bald?
Yeah thats my experience. You see some guy who's NW3 before age say 23 and you can bet that he'll be NW6 by his late 20's.

Sounds like Dudemon had a similar school time to me, from about the age of 14 I had guys telling me I'd be bald at 21. They were a bit off it took about 6 more years than that.

jd_uk

Reaction score
guys, I know what you're saying - I've felt those fears but what're you gonna do? - let it ruin your life or just get yourselves confident, in shape etc and say screw it? There are women who find bald and that is fact. You just have to carry it with confidence.

It's harder to do the latter (I know myself!) but will be so much more worth it.

I found out a guy in his 30's yesterday had terminal cancer and treatment had failed - life is too short to be miserable because there are women who'll be turned off that you're bald.

I'm not gonna lie and say I don't wish i had all my hair back - I know that I'm gonna be fully bald in 2-3 years if my family history is anything to go by and it does upset me but I can't go changing that so I have to make the best of what I have.

Putting hormones in your body to stop it would just be stupid. I could do that now while I still have some hair but I want to be me. Hormones change you and I'd rather be able to f*** the hell out of the girl that I'm with because I still have my sex drive!

Come on guys...youre just dwelling on it.

s.a.f

Reaction score
jd_uk said:
Putting hormones in your body to stop it would just be stupid. I could do that now while I still have some hair but I want to be me. Hormones change you and I'd rather be able to f*ck the hell out of the girl that I'm with because I still have my sex drive!

99% of finasteride users still have their sex drive. :jackit:

Maybe you should think why 10m+ men worldwide are on this drug rather than just spreading false claims. I've been on it 6 yrs no no sides, the Dr who prescribes mine has been on it nearly 20 yrs and had 4 kids in that time. :whistle:

cantholdmedown

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
[quote="jd_uk":3kjfvnia]
Putting hormones in your body to stop it would just be stupid. I could do that now while I still have some hair but I want to be me. Hormones change you and I'd rather be able to f*ck the hell out of the girl that I'm with because I still have my sex drive!

Maybe you should think why 10m+ men worldwide are on this drug rather than just spreading false claims. I've been on it 6 yrs no no sides, the Dr who prescribes mine has been on it nearly 20 yrs and had 4 kids in that time. :whistle:[/quote:3kjfvnia]

98% :whistle:

:agree:

jd_uk

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
[quote="jd_uk":3s1oqvbo]

Maybe you should think why 10m+ men worldwide are on this drug rather than just spreading false claims. I've been on it 6 yrs no no sides, the Dr who prescribes mine has been on it nearly 20 yrs and had 4 kids in that time. :whistle:[/quote:3s1oqvbo]

I'm glad it works for you but I don't believe those stats are true. I know people with sides are more likely to post about it but for me blocking the most powerful sex hormone in the body is always going to effect things and i've seen so many people 'without sides' mention some 'slight' effects which they probably don't want to admit are down to the direct action of blocking DHT. I mean I can't even grow a full beard yet...whats gonna happen if i took finasteride...i'll look baby faced with a baldish head when I'm 45! finasteride's never gonna stop hair loss completely anyway and also I don't wanna be dependent on it at any time (which I would be psychologically knowing all my hair would fall out quickly if i stopped it).

I dunno...I just know that DHT is there for a reason and I don't wanna be blocking it if I can cope with hair loss anyway by improving my psyche. Like I said, hair loss is not an illness or a condition but getting depressed about it is.

So many people here are on finasteride and still panicking about their hairlines etc...its ridiculous. I went out again the other night and the amount of guys with thinning hairlines having a good time surrounded by hot women is blatant. This board is not just a board for people with hair loss - its a board for people with depression and anxiety.

jd_uk

Reaction score
"Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference".

Don't waste your life battling something, trying to control something, and worrying about something which will always win in the end because it is natural. Focus on what you can change and be happy!

Michael84

Established Member
Reaction score
That's the problem of psychology. Not all people can just forget it. I know many guys who simply don't care at all about their hair despite they are balding. And of course, I know several men who are really anxious about all this hair loss sh*t. I think both these attitudes are normal and depend on different types of people... All of us who are here on this forum belong to the second type.

jd_uk

Reaction score
Michael84 said:
That's the problem of psychology. Not all people can just forget it. I know many guys who simply don't care at all about their hair despite they are balding. And of course, I know several men who are really anxious about all this hair loss sh*t. I think both these attitudes are normal and depend on different types of people... All of us who are here on this forum belong to the second type.

Yeah - of course. But the other 'problem' is that you can change your psychology by using certain techhiques - it's not easy by any stretch of the imagination but it is possible. I'm struggling with it myself but I will get there because I have to.

Look up cognitive behavioural therapy and book to see a counsellor if hair loss is dominating your life. This is a better fix than any amount of finasteride.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Or we can all get lobatamies so we don't care anymore. But yeah, I agree with Monty. OP is full of sh*t and would probably be singing a different tune if he were actually bald.

jd_uk

Reaction score
monty1978 said:
Cognitive behavioural therapy didn't work for me. I'm a bit different in the sense that when I started losing my hair it really made me look very weird, not in my imagination but in everyones. People started behaving totally different towards me. Really they did. I have a 1 in 3000 genetic condition that made my face slightly wonky and my head longer than anyones. It wasn't treated in time. As a result losing my hair line even slightly made a huge impact on my looks. No amount of cognitive therapy will stop you from reacting to a continously negative experience. It may help you get over past bad experiences but if the negativity is relived I don't think it helps a lot.

Well I'm sorry that you have that genetic condition - it's not great but all you can do is make the best of what you have. FACT - there are people in this world who have it worse than you who deal with it better and are happier than you.

If CBT didn't work for you then the only reason it didn't work was because you didn't keep at it. It's basically about looking at things from a different perspective and creating your own rules in life....e.g. ASSUMING that everyone thinks you look like sh*t (which im pretty certain is untrue), are you really going to let other peoples opinion matter enough to negatively affect your life?

you get one shot at life and you're not prepared to work at your mental state but you are prepared to come to this board and wallow in your own sorrow along with other depressed people who've lost some or all of their hair. Btw CBT is NOT a one off thing...it is a continuous commitment...if that means every day then so be it.

jd_uk

Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
Or we can all get lobatamies so we don't care anymore. But yeah, I agree with Monty. OP is full of sh*t and would probably be singing a different tune if he were actually bald.

Well, Mr 'OP is full of sh*t'. Care to tell me exactly what is sh*t - because I guarantee I can ruin any argument you throw at me.

Nothing I have said here is false. You get what you're given and make the most of it. Up to you if you wanna be a loser....your hair does not make you one, your own belief that you are one does.

jd_uk

Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:

Well, Mr 'OP is full of sh*t'. Care to tell me exactly what is sh*t - because I guarantee I can ruin any argument you throw at me.

Nothing I have said here is false. You get what you're given and make the most of it. Up to you if you wanna be a loser....your hair does not make you one, your own belief that you are one does.

jd_uk

Reaction score
monty1978 said:
I'm sure you think you can guarantee that you can ruin any arguement thrown at you but I have the strangest suspicion that you do not know what you're talking about :whistle:

well he's free to try me as are you. I have the not so strange suspicion that I do. I have absolute proof that it's possible to be happy and confident with male pattern baldness. I also have pretty f'n strong evidence (i.e. petty much everyone and everything on this forum!!!) that trying to 'treat' (how the f*ck can you treat something which isn't an illness?) hair loss is a recipe for disaster - certainly mentally and often physically.

monty1978 said:
Whoever said that I was unhappy or that I wallow.

Nobody - but I'd be amazed if you were actually happy given your comments to me in pretty much the only positive thread around here. Instead you contribute to threads about 'how bad you have it' - yes, I've read them. If it ain't wallowing then maybe we use different versions of English.

monty1978 said:
I'm here to learn how to control hair loss and learn a little about how people think, is that alright with you?

You do what you want mate. Nothing to do with me - maybe just wake up to the truth of things a bit though, it will do you some good.

monty1978 said:
I went and had a course of CBT for anxiety, did all the questionaires, addressed my thinking patterns and it didn't help at all. In the end I conquered anxiety almost by stopping taking finasteride first and foremostly and then deciding that anyone who looked at me like a peice of sh*t of treated me badly on sight wasn't worth thinking about.

It's pointless you telling me that you 'addressed your thinking patterns' when you obviously didn't do enough to address them. But it's great that you stopped taking finasteride and even better that you stopped giving a sh*t what people thought. That is an aspect of cognitive behavioural therapy (as I've already noted!!) so for you to say CBT is pointless for people who experience negative reactions day on day is both bizarre and misleading.

monty1978 said:
You strike me the classic sanctimonious fool that has few worries yet think you have your share but have acheived a sense of enlightenment that the rest of us haven't.

Oh trust me sunshine, I can match whatever you want to wallow in - I've been through a fair bit myself -e.g I lost my youth due to a completely disabling heart condition leaving me with a huge amount of issues, amongst many others which I won't even bother going into. Again, I'll just repeat that if you want to take your negative view on life and reject someone who is actually positive and talks a bit of sense...then carry on. But don't for one second think that you're doing yourself any favours (or anyone else on this board for that matter by regurgitating the same old negative sh*t)

monty1978 said:
I stand by what I say about CBT and so would any CB therapist for that matter. It will not work if the circumstances affecting you in the first place are real and continue to happen.

Wrong. Very wrong. Only maybe in very extreme circumstances - e.g. someone being beaten/abused every day could you have a point. CBT does not actually deal much with the past at all and its very focus is improving a persons internal beliefs so that they themselves can have a different experience of THOSE SAME EVENTS which pained them prior to therapy. You supposedly did this therapy, but my friend, you CLEARLY didn't understand it or apply yourself to it. No wonder it didn't 'work' for you. And again, I'll repeat that it's something which you have to commit to and use every day.