do you think seb derm is connected with hair loss?

ihatemylife223

My Regimen
Reaction score
i looked into seb derm today and was blown away when i heard it only effects 10% of people. i remember when i went to the doctor and asked about finasteride he looked at my scalp and told me i had seb derm and gave me prescription shampoo. i usually don't have anything medically wrong with me i always take care of my health pretty good and i noticed a lot of people in hairloss forums talking about it so i just thought it was super common.

it seems like everyone with hairloss is on 2% shampoo and has seb derm and it's part of the treatment for hair loss. i thought seb derm was just something caused by dry scalp or something before but it seems to be something really common in men with hair loss and not really super common in the population i always thought the cold/dry weather was contributing to it where i live.

SavingMyHair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know if it is connected with hair loss or not but It is known that it causes shedding. I've been with untreated seb derm and lost 50% of my hair in 5 months caused by the inflammation.

ihatemylife223

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know if it is connected with hair loss or not but It is known that it causes shedding. I've been with untreated seb derm and lost 50% of my hair in 5 months caused by the inflammation.
does ket shampoo actually do anything then? is 1% helpful?

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes most cueballs have crusty, scabby flakey scalps, caked in dried skin and inflammation.

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah the same thing happened to me. I left it untreated for too long and ended up losing half of my hair. I am better nowadays, but I doubt I will recover what I lost to those shedding days

SavingMyHair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah the same thing happened to me. I left it untreated for too long and ended up losing half of my hair. I am better nowadays, but I doubt I will recover what I lost to those shedding days
Yeah I haven't fully recovered yet but I think I won't recover all my hair back to be honest...

infamousrodi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Maybe. I know for sure once I got on finasteride my hair stopped being as oily and flaky as it once was.

Danjellyman

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wish i knew. I have terrible itch/shedding on my scalp. Lost about 35-40 percent of my density in the past few years since the itch began. Zero hair loss, thinning, recession until the itch. I'm on Min and TOPICAL finasteride. The topical finasteride (0.1% Every other day) hasn't helped the itching at all. I'm thinking of moving to the oral form (EOD) and see if the itch stops. It makes me wonder though, perhaps this isn't ALL male pattern baldness related. I mean i know plenty of bald people that don't report to scalp itch.

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
My scalp hasn’t been itching as bad since I’ve gave up eating breakbeat ie oats in the morning and odd evening.

db135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Had itching in the area I'm thinning in for the past 6 or 7 years. I don't have crusty or flaky scalp but it is irritated and inflamed.

Started a 5 to 10 min scalp massage every night 2 months ago and it's it's best thing I've done for the itch. It's much reduced.

Also noticed like grains of sand in my hair the next day, a bit of research indicated this is hard bits of sebum that I've pushed out.

No idea if it will help my loss though..

Tbh my loss is so asymmetrical I sometimes wonder if its even male pattern baldness but since there is miniaturised hair I guess it must be

Danjellyman

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Try keto shampoo. If you have Telogen Effluvium it can cause seb derm too
I was diagnosed early on with Telogen Effluvium but that was the first few months of the shedding. I can't imagine it's still ust Telogen Effluvium after so many years. It's looking like diffused thinning with minor recession.

Danjellyman

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Had itching in the area I'm thinning in for the past 6 or 7 years. I don't have crusty or flaky scalp but it is irritated and inflamed.

Started a 5 to 10 min scalp massage every night 2 months ago and it's it's best thing I've done for the itch. It's much reduced.

Also noticed like grains of sand in my hair the next day, a bit of research indicated this is hard bits of sebum that I've pushed out.

No idea if it will help my loss though..

Tbh my loss is so asymmetrical I sometimes wonder if its even male pattern baldness but since there is miniaturised hair I guess it must be
Interesting. My loss is asymmetrical too.

db135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting. My loss is asymmetrical too.
Yes I'm thinning from my left corner inwards, if this was mirrored on the right it would indicate that I am forming an island at the front. However my left has been thinning for years and at the moment my right shows almost no signs at all.

I do a massage every night, circular movements all over my scalp using my palms. Then I do pinching in my thinning area and the area surrounding it. Pinch between my fingers. To start with I could barely manage but now my scalp is looser it ls easy. Working side to side is much harder but it's getting better to. Then I finish with using the palms in circular motions again.

At the moment my itch is non existent, where as before it have a feeling of pins being inserted right in the center of my thinning area. There was occasional burning sensation. I'll keep going as long as it works.

I don't know what causes the itch, people claim, it's literally dht attacking follicles, it I'm not sure I buy that. After expelling quite a bit of sebum through pinching in wondering if my itch at least, was coming from blocked pores, irritating the scalp. To early to say if my hair has changed though. But it's interesting