Do You Think My Hair Will Ever Grow Back?

Britta

My Regimen
Reaction score
Let me tell you my story, I'll try to be short.

My hair had always been thick and there had always been a whole lot of it. I had barely found hair on my clothes and there had never been any hair stuck in my hand when I ran my fingers through it.

So in the first half of 2015, I noticed it to be a bit thinner. When I bent my head back to wash the shampoo out, it was a weird feeling, like it was a stranger's head, I was grabbing less hair. And then I started noticing hair falling on my clothes, on my shoulder, and when I would put my hair up, hair in my hands.

I was waiting for it to stop on its own but it didn't. I went to see a dermatologist that year. She said it was telogen effluvium. I had a blood test done and it turned out I had anemia and iron deficiency. I got prescribed iron tablets but nothing changed. I went back to the dermatologist in June 2016 (around the same time it became so bad I got a pixie cut) and she said she could see hair growing back. That made me glad but my hair was still falling out.

I know that stress can cause Telogen Effluvium and maybe it would have stopped that year but in September 2016, my Mom died suddenly and that was the most unimaginable and the biggest shock I ever had so maybe that kind of extended it. (That could be a reach.)

For a year after that, I was trying everything to make it better. I tried castor oil, amla oil, multivitamins, hair tonic, those miracle ginger hair drops from China, everything. And then suddenly it stopped. A year ago, August 2017, it stopped like it never happened. I would pull my hair strong and nothing. Just like before this whole Telogen Effluvium deal.

But still, I can see through my hair. I can see my scalp. I don't want to.
Do you think it is going to grow back? It feels more hair than two years ago but maybe just because of the length.
I never read about a more than 2 year period of hair loss. But I guess the longer the hair loss persists, the longer it takes for it to grow back.

(Sorry for any mistakes, English is not my native language.)

Sam1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is there hereditary hair loss on your moms or dads side? Hair grows in cycles so it could take awhile to recover.

Anna Butcher

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh my god I posted today my struggle with the exact same problem, the thining really had been crap to deal with and I to list my mum so can relate with those feelings, I was told it can take nearly 2_3 years to sort out but I'm scared I won't have any hair left or if this is just normal hair loss now! Mine has been 9 months of shedding after being very ill and have been told I'm in recovery but I don't feel like it at all xxx