Do You Think Hair System Will Became Common Later?

Bastien

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi.
Do you think that wearing a hair piece will be a common and totally accepted thing in some years? I’m young and I see well that this new generation of man tries plenty of new hairstyles and looks more loving about it, am I wrong? Especially with instagram being beautiful is now very important for a lot of men, especially when they know that women use a lot of « « « fakes » » » » technics to make themselves more beautiful.

So, what do you think about it?

Noah

Reaction score
I think that has already started to happen. The much-discussed stigma attached to wearing a hair system is definitely waning, as a result of various factors: the improvement in the realism of the units themselves, wider and better information about how good they are, better information about the shortcomings of hair transplants, increased acceptability of male grooming and male vanity. There are already a lot of young good-looking guys on Instagram and YouTube publicly acknowledging that they wear a hairpiece and sometimes showing the mechanics of how it works. People who run salons say that their primary market is guys in their thirties and early forties.

My prediction is that within 5 - 10 years wearing a system will be like getting veneers - there will still be people who think it is vain for a man, but it will be common and mostly acknowledged.

Bastien

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think that has already started to happen. The much-discussed stigma attached to wearing a hair system is definitely waning, as a result of various factors: the improvement in the realism of the units themselves, wider and better information about how good they are, better information about the shortcomings of hair transplants, increased acceptability of male grooming and male vanity. There are already a lot of young good-looking guys on Instagram and YouTube publicly acknowledging that they wear a hairpiece and sometimes showing the mechanics of how it works. People who run salons say that their primary market is guys in their thirties and early forties.

My prediction is that within 5 - 10 years wearing a system will be like getting veneers - there will still be people who think it is vain for a man, but it will be common and mostly acknowledged.
I hope so! Plus if it’s getting more common hair system price also might be cheaper so more accessible right?

Noah

Reaction score
There is already some amazing value on the market if you know where to look, largely because of cheap Asian labour. What other product can you think of which can be manufactured to your custom fit and design, takes 2 days of a skilled hand-worker's time, and costs $200? I actually think the manufacturing cost will gradually rise, but that will probably be off-set by cutting out the middlemen, if and when the Chinese manufacturers manage to sort out their quality control.

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with Noah in that I think acceptance has already started to happen. I made no secret about it with my work colleagues. It kind of gained a life of its own, and people are constantly asking questions. They are fascinated at how realistic it looks, and what goes on behind the curtain. (how it is put on, cut, etc...). No one seemed to think much about it, and aside from a comments about the expense of it, no one has said anything negative about it.

I am a member of a mens choir, and we have over 250 members. No one in that group know I wear hair - and if I were going to be outed for wearing hair, it would be here. This is a testament on how natural The whole process has become.

There are always going to be those who just don't care about hair - and if they have it or not. But for those who do care, one of the hurdles I think are prices. If it were a one time expense, I think it would be better received, but as an ongoing financial commitment I think people have pause. I am trying to talk my old barber into a deal where he does the attachment and cut in - I'll take care of ordering, supplies, etc.. It won't cut out the middle man, but certainly lower the cost...

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair system prices have come down dramatically in the past few years. The major costs are labor. This is the reason that most companies no longer knot in China, due to the price of labor. The only thing I can possibly see that will make these cheaper is they can robotically replicate the knotting.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
They are becoming more popular and affordable than ever and that is growing.
That said, I can see baldness will be cured in the lifetime of many of the younger guys here.

Noah

Reaction score
Don’t take this the wrong way NW11, but that post sounds more like a scream from your psyche than a commentary on the future of hair systems. I envy and applaud any guy who has made peace with his bald head, but I have to tell you, peace is not the vibe I am getting from your post.

There already are hair systems (“wigs” if you will) that are wearable for a week or fortnight at a time, are super-thin and highly undetectable, and they are not that expensive - as little as $200. It sounds like you just had a bad experience from a poor supplier. If you want to know more, get in touch.

All the best

Noah

TheLoneWigMaker

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Never. Like literally, never. I’ve worn before and it crippled my anxiety. It’s like this: people won’t talk about ur wig all day if that’s what u r asking. But there is absolutely no way they will ever accept it as normal. The normal is to shave ur head and smile. Surely it isn’t glueing fake hair and walking around with it. ESPECIALLY young people won’t accept it. One day, there might be a wig option that’s changeable every week and it’s super thin and completely undetectable and I imagine extremely expensive. If that ever happens I’ll do it and have a small transplant on my temples to make it perfect. But I wouldn’t tell a soul about it. Wigs today are a joke anyway, anyone runs their fingers through it’s over especially on the back.

It's definitely not "over." I've had more women tell me I'm attractive - unprovoked - since using wigs than I have in the 15 previous years combined. And I've only been doing it for a few years, and not even that well until recently at that.

Some guys can look ok with a shaved head, but it's based on having the right skull shape, height, skin color. But many guys (I would argue most) simply look better (or much better) with hair, and it's worth the effort. If you're worried about someone feeling it too much then don't let them do that.

With social media, more people are becoming exposed to how good hair systems can look now and how many people are doing it. You should check out Hairsay514's insta.

Noah

Reaction score
Your experience is your experience man; I wouldn't seek to try to persuade you otherwise. All I can tell you is that I haven't had the same issues.

I'm assuming you are talking about a Contactskin unit? If so, I don't think those represent the best the market has to offer. In particular they are not customised - it's a stock product that is cut down to size, and from what I have seen they don't have graduated hairlines, which is essential to get a natural look.

I can't tell you that the edges of a system can never be felt - I can feel the edges of my own system if I dig around. What I can say is that if the edges are stuck down accurately it is quite difficult to feel them, and in practice that is good enough, because I have never been busted through the edges being felt, and I am happy to say there have been sufficient opportunities to test it. The reality is they don't have to be totally imperceptible - just unobtrusive. People are not looking for edges unless they already know you are wearing, in which case it doesn't matter much. As you say, tape creates a bump and increases the chances of something being felt, although I use tape. Using glue would lessen the chances still further, although obviously it's a messier clean-up.

You are indicating (I think) that you had a very low density system to blend in with your thinning sidehair. I can see that very thin hair on the system would make it more important for the base to be a perfect fit and accurately attached, because the hair is not giving you much cover. Would you consider (for the sake of argument) adopting an undercut style, where you crop your sides (thereby concealing their thinness) and have a denser system on top. That is a pretty popular style at the moment for guys who are not losing their hair, and it is a great solution for guys who wear a system. It would also look better for most guys. I have gone in this direction as my sides have thinned.

"[her] hand will bump into the wig and the entire part of hair of that wig will slightly lift" - I don't really understand what you are saying here. It doesn't accord with anything I have experienced.

"IF there are hair pieces ... replaced every week, by all means I’d love to know more". - I'm not sure if you are suggesting an arrangement where you get a whole new hair system every week. If so, my view is that that would be a ridiculous waste. I know that some salons give you a new system every 6 weeks or so (at a price to match), and that is also a ridiculous waste. Any half-decent quality unit should last a lot longer than 6 weeks; if it doesn't it is because it is a very low grade unit.

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Totally not made peace with baldness, but I doubt the experience I’ve had was poor because I was doing this on a salon and my scalp was being cleaned every two weeks same for hair piece. I’m talking oils, sauna, etc. Hair piece of 0,03mm, human hair, German company, freestyle direction. If that constitutes as a poor experience then idk what DIY is. I think we both can agree that the edges of any hair piece are detectable to touch. Factor in this is the hair knots and generally the fact that fake hair - human as it is - can’t move 360* like real hair. The edges are also detectable because u need the gradual thickening of the hairline, there’s glue under the hairline and tape is even worse as it elevates the base even more. The back of the hairline is the worst because wig hair is generally placed to direct down to blend in with existing hair. So if Im a woman and I run my fingers into the back of your scalp from your neck up, my entire hand will bump into the wig and the entire part of hair of that wig will slightly lift. Don’t tell me it’s not the case ESPECIALLY with the basic lace you wear because I’ve worn lace and I know.

IF there are hair pieces thin and undetectable replaced every week, by all means I’d love to know more. Take into account that many folks have thin hair overall which means they have to go for a super thin hair density to blend in properly with their existing miniaturized sides and back. No way in hell the standard 0,03mm lace can go undetected. It CAN visually yes. But to the touch? absolutely not.

Im waiting to be pleasantly surprised, PM/post anytime.
How about getting a 700-1000 graft hair transplant on hairline and sides of the top and wearing a 0.03thinskin or swiss lace in between?
I'm someone who isn't bald from anywhere but is diffuse thinner, so I have kept my natural hairline as well as hair on sides of top (pic attached).

I have a very thick (monofilament) system rn but soon I will get french lace or swiss lace. Even with mono, no one has noticed the patch even tho my sister ran her hands through the hair, but it is very bumpy tbh.

I'm not saying that this way of wearing a hair system (hair transplant + hair patch) is perfect, but so are the availablity of treatments for Androgenic Alopecia. And this comes from someone who has tried everything - from finasteride/dutasteride to 12% minoxidil+ finasteride combo to spironolactone/cyproterone acetate, even Estrogen.

Hair loss community has got to stop coping so hard with thinking that there will be "cure" - I'm sorry - there will never be one as hairloss is cause by male hormones (DHT and T) and you can't cure it unless you castrate yourself. There may be better fixes (like hair transplant, cloning) in future though.

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve thought of it. Actually, people have already done it. The issues are following: your frontal hairline needs to be thick enough in a very narrow line. That’s done through a top surgeon but ur donor needs to be tip-top as well. If you have miniaturization forget it. The other issue is that you still don’t address the sides and back part. Besides if a hair piece is really well done, the frontal part isn’t much of a concern. Especially the thin skin type is undetectable to the eye in the front.
Oral minoxidil works really well for sides and back. You can microdose it at 2mg to 5mg. The most likely side effect you will get is body hair growth, which should he much of an issue.
Apart from that, there's body hair transplant as well, among other types. This type of transplant can provide equally good results compared to controls hair transplants if it's supprted with prp and all that.

Can't you wear thin skin full toupee? Will it be more detectable?

TheLoneWigMaker

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Totally not made peace with baldness, but I doubt the experience I’ve had was poor because I was doing this on a salon and my scalp was being cleaned every two weeks same for hair piece. I’m talking oils, sauna, etc. Hair piece of 0,03mm, human hair, German company, freestyle direction. If that constitutes as a poor experience then idk what DIY is. I think we both can agree that the edges of any hair piece are detectable to touch. Factor in this is the hair knots and generally the fact that fake hair - human as it is - can’t move 360* like real hair. The edges are also detectable because u need the gradual thickening of the hairline, there’s glue under the hairline and tape is even worse as it elevates the base even more. The back of the hairline is the worst because wig hair is generally placed to direct down to blend in with existing hair. So if Im a woman and I run my fingers into the back of your scalp from your neck up, my entire hand will bump into the wig and the entire part of hair of that wig will slightly lift. Don’t tell me it’s not the case ESPECIALLY with the basic lace you wear because I’ve worn lace and I know.

IF there are hair pieces thin and undetectable replaced every week, by all means I’d love to know more. Take into account that many folks have thin hair overall which means they have to go for a super thin hair density to blend in properly with their existing miniaturized sides and back. No way in hell the standard 0,03mm lace can go undetected. It CAN visually yes. But to the touch? absolutely not.

Im waiting to be pleasantly surprised, PM/post anytime.

You say you had a .03mm base. I assume that this was skin then?

Lace bases mitigate two of your issues: the back edge, even if not bonded perfectly, won't feel too inordinary since it's made of a fiber similar to hair. That being said, if you bond it very well against your horseshoe line, it feels natural.

Secondly, the hair flows so much better in a lace base, especially when single flat knotted throughout. Many will not be able to have this since factories double knot the majority, or use split knots. You can request this from a custom order, potentially. Making my own pieces, the flow is beautiful. And natural hair doesn't exactly flow 360°. Natural hair also has a direction. It's why your natural hairline has an upwards lift when you brush it back.

I once had an intimate moment with this woman who was into my hair so much she was treating it like she was in a fight with it, and she was oblivious. I had to condition extra well after that. But the point is, if people expect something to be a certain way (real hair), their mind will subconsciously explain their senses to them to make it feel real.

The front hairline edge is really the most concerning in regards to feel. Just don't let anyone feel it too much.

You also mentioned that the hair in the back is directed downward. What is it supposed to be directed? Granted, a little should flow slightly to the side to match the crown swirl, which I do in my pieces, but it's really negligible. And if you take due diligence to actually attach it accurately, there should be no line visible if it is brushed upward.

As for density, you should be going for a lower density piece. They look better, feel better, and more natural. You just need to do a good and accurate job of attaching. It takes effort.

In the end, it is a decision of: if putting in the effort and restricting some areas to be touched is worth the added aesthetic and attraction you receive with it vs a shaved head. As I've said before, in my experience women (and myself) find me much more attractive with it than without. It's not even a contest.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
The front hairline edge is really the most concerning in regards to feel. Just don't let anyone feel it too much.
This is a difficult issue. But if you have a fringe sexual partners won't want to slide their hands into the hairline from the front so much. If the hair is combed back, it really calls for their hands to move to the hair from the forehead.

Wisemiller

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It is currently a good time to be a balding man in one way. Realistic hair systems and concealers provide a good option, and the best part is they are relatively unknown. My girlfriend has no clue I use concealers, just once commented "my hair gel is dirty". In other words, only norwood spotting balding men can detect these things, most other people do not know what to look for.

However this will be short lived, as soon as these things become mainstream, they will be viewed as disgusting as comb overs and hat fishers.

Bastien

My Regimen
Reaction score
I didn’t get it...are you ironical at the end of your post? I don’t see why it would be disgusting.

Wisemiller

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I didn’t get it...are you ironical at the end of your post? I don’t see why it would be disgusting.
Comb overs are generally seen as a way for bald guys to try to hide hairloss, and it is viewed very negatively. The thing is hair systems and concealers will soon also be seen in the same way but right now no one is looking for them. If revealed, they are more of a surprise than anything right now, just because they are so good at what they do.

And what are "hat fishers"?

Guys who wear hats all the time cus they are balding. Most women have caught onto this now, just search google for articles. Sometimes women suspect guys of being bald even when they are not losing hair, they just like hats.