Do You Need A Prescription For The Name Brand Propecia Specifically In Order To Switch To It?

ManinBlack

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello, everyone, so I started generic finasteride (white octogonal pills) produced by Aurobindo earlier this month and filled by Rite Aid. My derm's prescription says "finasteride" on it not propecia. Would I be able to start the name brand Propecia if I told my pharmacy to fill it as that? I would just feel better using the name brand Propecia.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Hello, everyone, so I started generic finasteride (white octogonal pills) produced by Aurobindo earlier this month and filled by Rite Aid. My derm's prescription says "finasteride" on it not propecia. Would I be able to start the name brand Propecia if I told my pharmacy to fill it as that? I would just feel better using the name brand Propecia.
Yes, you can request the name brand without the doctor having to rewrite it. It will be alot more expensive though. I get a 3 months supply of generic finasteride at Costco for 16 dollars. Even if the generic has 80 percent of finasteride in it, it will work just as good as the name brand.