Do you keep your hairloss treatments secret from others?

Captain Hook

Established Member
Reaction score
From Captain Hook's photos he looks like he has no hair loss.

That's the point, I decided to start treatment at the very first signs of confirming it is likely Androgenetic Alopecia, if you've read my story you can see I took about a year to rule out all possible causes yet still saw my hairline deteriorate, not to mention I talk about how my family has history of Androgenetic Alopecia, with my maternal grandfather being a slick NW7 at 45, I realise my hair is a gift and my time could very well be limited. Hair loss is not something my friends and I joke about, we take it as seriously as any other medical condition because we understand the psychological impact it has on a person.

Exodus, I read your story and you have my deepest condolences, I wish you all the best and I know that I don't know what it's like to be in your shoes but all I can say is try to keep your chin up.

That being said it's easy for those who are much more advanced on the Norwood scale to dismiss me as 'worrying about nothing' but from April 2014 to now I've seen myself lose my 17 year old hairline gradually. Keep in mind you were all NW1s at some point as well. Is it so bad that I'm being proactive?

Captain Hook

Established Member
Reaction score
Not me. I was one of these guys who was born with a NW2 hair line.

I guess it shows I had really bad hair genetics even before my male pattern baldness even started.

Sorry to generalise but what I meant was you all started out at a point that was far less severe than where you are now. I just believe in confirming diagnoses and hence treating conditions early before they get out of hand.

This may come as a shock but while it isn't noticeable to you but to me when I look in the mirror every day I notice my hair is markedly different compared to just 2 years ago. The psychological impact of hair loss is profound and I'm just trying to raise awareness of that, on this forum and within my circle of friends. Regardless of where anyone is on their hair loss journey, it can be unnerving at any point.

Captain Hook

Established Member
Reaction score
You don't know any thing about the impact of hair loss in the sense that you haven't been treated differently because of your hair loss, which is not visible to the outside world.

I know the process of losing one's hair is indeed horrible in itself. But as I've said many times before, it's a walk in the park compared to being truly bald. So you're right to take measures.

You're absolutely right. It's true, at this point it's only myself who can see the damage that has been done, the outside world is oblivious.

Thanks for giving a nod to my decision to start treatment, several people have told me "I don't need it" but I know better.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
something mainly full heads do. and bald men with no dignity

So me and my friends are not allowed to joke about our own hair loss? Says who? We have that comfortable social relationship and none of us are offended. We are serious and joke too depending on the mood. You don't have a right to question the way we behave with each other at all.

DannyBoyy

Reaction score
So me and my friends are not allowed to joke about our own hair loss? Says who? We have that comfortable social relationship and none of us are offended. We are serious and joke too depending on the mood. You don't have a right to question the way we behave with each other at all.

What i do with my mates aswell, we dont mean harm and we are just joking, i rather have it that way then being scared to say things, its banter and i would have it no other way.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Love the word banter, so UK :) I agree. I think it all signifies man bonding, basically "I get you." I know you have way more loss, so in a way it shows you guys are even more comfortable with each other. It's also the masculine way. The detrimental way would be if it changes your life in terms of socially, psychologically but I understand that too.

A healthy balanced approach to any adversity is best.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Hair loss may be unique compared against other adversities: Although it may not kill me, it definitely doesn't make me feel any stronger either.

My sole saving grace may come from the hope and understanding that "feelings" can change.

DannyBoyy

Reaction score
Love the word banter, so UK :) I agree. I think it all signifies man bonding, basically "I get you." I know you have way more loss, so in a way it shows you guys are even more comfortable with each other. It's also the masculine way. The detrimental way would be if it changes your life in terms of socially, psychologically but I understand that too.

A healthy balanced approach to any adversity is best.

Yeah where im from dissing each other is basically friends or even family bonding lol, you see it in shows aswell, you trust each other enough to do it, otherwise you be tip toeing round each other, obviously we wouldnt do it if we knew it upset someone in the group, but again thats where the trust comes into play.

KT3000

Reaction score
I am keeping my new regimen a secret, because I'm experiencing some miracle SH** and plan to write an Ebook about it after another month of 'trials'

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
are there any guys with visible hair loss in your group?

and lol i don't feel the need to act "masculine". just because society tells you to conform to a socially constructed gender role because you have a piece of meat between your legs doesn't mean you have to

not dissing those who do act "masculine", just saying

scott8696

Reaction score
Yea i have two roommates, take the renepure out of the shower, hahaha. Never really talked about my baldness, just mentioned getting a hair transplant to them once.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea i have two roommates, take the renepure out of the shower, hahaha. Never really talked about my baldness, just mentioned getting a hair transplant to them once.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Especially when you have longer hair (mine is thick and wavy, light brown and to my shoulders) it becomes an identity thing, and I've worn mine long for about a decade and a half (began in high school and am now 29).

It's always an identity thing no matter the type or length of hair that you have. Once you lose it you are just another bald guy.