Do you keep your hairloss treatments secret from others?

Fundi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I do.

I peal off all the labels from my products (minoxidil/spironolactone and Prox N) which I keep in a wash bag in case someone finds them/I leave them in the bathroom by accident.

-My dad found my finasteride once and I blagged it saying that it was for something else.

I get paranoid when ordering items to my home in case someone was to open them (Never happens), and never get items ordered to my office incase they get opened accidently.

Does anyone else do you same, or are you open about it?

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm open about it to my family, but not yet with friends, I know they'd rip it out of me if I told them now... maybe in a few years when they too begin losing hair.

My bro and sis are both junior doctors and they were shocked and appalled when I revealed to them that I'd been taking Finasteride for a period, they couldn't believe that such a powerful drug usually reserved only for old sick men, was being prescribed to young healthy males.

But yeah I even apply minoxidil in the mirror in front of my bro now, so it's not a problem for me personally. Although in the begining when I told my mam, she was all like "but you don't need to take all that stuff, the science is so good nowadays, they'll have a cure in in no time etc etc" :doh:

GeminiX

Reaction score
I seem to lead my whole life on-line, though I was originally planning on keeping everything secret. It's quite liberating, no skeletons in the closet to worry about.

You can see that even in this forum it can mean some ***-hats will try to use it against you and that can freak you out at first, but you soon find that nobody really cares what people like that think and say :)

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
not really.. my family is supportive when it comes to such things and my gf knows im not happy with my thinning hair.

minoxidil_addict

Reaction score
Yeah I'm paranoid as hell about it.
I have no idea how I'll let a future girlfriend know about this because I'm only 20 and I'm afraid it'll scare her, for me it's like telling your 20 years old girlfriend that you're on v****.

Michael84

Established Member
Reaction score
I think it's always better to stay honest and tell your parents insread of explaining to them later why you hid this fact or why you kept your medicines in a secret.
It can only be different if you live apart from your parents, then you have your own life and it's not necessary to report everything... I suppose.

Rawtashk

Reaction score
I suppose it would depend on what the stage of your hairloss is. I see 3 possible situations.

1: You have a LOT of baldness. Like, NW5 or 6. At that point I could imagine someone seeing hair loss treatments and saying "Dude, it's gone. Just get over it."

2: You have a bit of hair loss going on, like NW2 or 3. In this situation (which is my current one) my response to their questions/comments would be "Ya, and I don't want it to get any worse. What if there was something about you that you didn't like, but you had the opportunity to change it...would you do it?" (IE: Hairloss)

3: You have no noticeable (to the non-balding population) hair loss. In this case my response to a question/comment would be "Ya, and it's working, right?"

In situation 2 and 3 it would validate why you were doing treatments. I mean...it's not like it's your fault that your hair has decided it doesn't want to live on your head anymore. Kinda like how we don't get to decide what skin color or sex we're born with.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
No one knows about my hairloss, though I think my sister saw my toppik one time because some stuff was moved where my toppik was kept, and later that night she touched my hair (which she never, ever does). I rarely have to use toppik anymore though since I have managed to regrow enough hair not to feel I need it.

I'd like to talk about it, but I've decided to keep it to myself. No use in being that guy who can't shut up about stuff.

sylent

Established Member
Reaction score
Im not on anything but if I was it would really depend on the person or the situation. I wouldnt really just bring it up out of nowhere but if someone saw it and asked about it or was curious about what I do with my hair I would tell them. Despite being sensitive about my hair I have a great sense of humor and a tolerance for about any joke. My friends rip on me and I rip on them its just the way it is. Ive even been open with my hairloss concerns to some friends.

Hoppi

Reaction score
A bit, it depends really. If it was just one simple treatment that was working like say minoxidil or CB or whatever then I would probably just apply it habitually like brushing my teeth and not really care if someone found it. I'm not sure about finasteride.

But yeah... depends on the ease and nature of the treatment I think for me, as weird as that sounds :)

agent00

Established Member
Reaction score
I kinda keep it secret, only my mom and dad know my routine. My dad bought me 6 bottles of Rogaine 5% (I told him to get me the foam but of course he got me the liquid) from the US because you need a prescription to get it in Canada My dad is bald with a really terrible patch of hair left over from his shitty hair transplant, so he obviously understands.

My friend sends me dutasteride from the US and I tell my dad/mom/friends that it's really a "nutritional supplement" (I like to workout a lot so this isn't a huge stretch of the imagination). I don't think my parents would be thrilled if I told them I was taking meds off the internet.

I tell my roommate not to use my special shampoo (aka Nizoral) because it's for my "dandruff". I use concealers now and my roommate just asks "does that stuff really work?" but he's not really wise to my true situation.

It's really tough being in this predicament, if we were trying to lose weight, we'd be getting all the support in the world, but with regrowing hair it's mocked and you have to be secret... :shakehead:

johnbbbb

Reaction score
When I've told people I'm using Rogaine & Propecia to treat my hair loss, the response has been 99% positive.

It's no worse than any other cosmetic treatment people use to improve their appearance like teeth whitening, tanning, etc.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Hmm those are preventative measures and I'm guessing that you only tell people very close to you who actually care about you.
But in general if you were to talk about wigs, hair transplant's or concealers I think it might be a different story.

kejan

Established Member
Reaction score
I used/use concealers and my girlfriend knows. I just describe it as ''my hair thickner'' but she's cool and she doesn't care.

I have not told any of my friends but I have a close group of 3-4 friends that I hang out with reguarly and if someone said ''What's up with your hair?'' or somehow they noticed something funny, I'd probably come clean and just tell them it helps buff up my hair etc.
They are cool too. I'm sure even one of them might say 'How much? Where do you get it?' He's NW4 and heavy diffuse.

I don't see why you would need to tell people if you took the motions and potions like Regaine, Propecia and if you didn't want to tell them - just say the tablet was a vitamin and regaine was a 'special shampoo' to help improve the life in your hair or something.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Nobody knows and I plan on keeping it that way.

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just responding to my 2011 self:

It is a mistake, you shouldn't be doing that, they may be laughing, but inside, they're telling themselves:

"What a loser, telling people about his insecurities, no one cares about hair loss anyway."

Also, they will use it against you later if you ever have an argument. Make no mistake.
yep. very true. i hate how much people lie about baldness x.x

Captain Hook

Established Member
Reaction score
Not at all. Androgenetic Alopecia is so common I feel like it's stupid to keep it a secret. My family is very health and beauty conscious and laud my decision to treat my hair loss early. Granted I don't run around telling people at random but if people ask I tell them, if people bring up the topic of them losing hair I'll certainly chime in and tell them I'm doing something about my own hair loss.

I've noticed my close friends experiencing some recession lately and I've educated them about Androgenetic Alopecia and treatments, they certainly appreciate it, but hey my friends aren't assholes who think they're immune to Androgenetic Alopecia, they're generally pretty conscious about their health and looks and hence also like to treat things before they get out of hand.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
^ That's a perfect attitude about being open about Androgenetic Alopecia, looks and health. Interlinked. It's easier to do it with minor hair loss as well. Unfortunately I lack that courage despite my relatively little loss. My gf knows, that's it. Some times I will bond with my friends as we joke about hair loss when having a session before a night out. But I haven't been open, don't think I will.

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
^ That's a perfect attitude about being open about Androgenetic Alopecia, looks and health. Interlinked. It's easier to do it with minor hair loss as well. Unfortunately I lack that courage despite my relatively little loss. My gf knows, that's it. Some times I will bond with my friends as we joke about hair loss when having a session before a night out. But I haven't been open, don't think I will.
something mainly full heads do. and bald men with no dignity