Do Wigs Reduce Hairgrowth

angiepooface

Reaction score
If I start wearing a wig, will it make it harder for me to grow hair back? Also also, can it damage the hair I already have? :dunno:

reverie

Reaction score
The wig maker will always tell you no (they want your business after all), but in my experience it really depends on the piece. I've heard terrible things about extensions and integration pieces ripping out your bio hair, so I haven't gone there. Toppers are generally better, but my topper clips really hurt (my topper is thin, too) and I haven't yet found a remedy for this (I've switched two types of clips and there aren't many more out there). Moving the clips around might help. My mom wears a topper (sometimes) and I don't think it's made any difference in her loss. I'm looking into full wigs right now because I think it would be better for me mentally to cut really short (1 inch) and just wear a full wig, but every wig maker I've gone to has told me to stay away from full wigs for as long as I can saying they're A LOT of trouble because you have to deal with a full-head hairline (instead of just a frontal hairline, as with a topper) and I don't think you can wear your hair up in a full wig.

I'd get on treatment to slow it down or reverse it and stay away from pieces for as long as possible. How old are you anyway? You seem really young to have hair loss...I'm one of the youngest I know of, and I started at 25/26.

angiepooface

Reaction score
I'm only 17. That's why I'm freaking out. I really don't know what to do anymore. I have a wig, but I always get scared that it's making me lose more hair. I don't fasten the clips so that the wig is as loose as possible, and I cut my hair short so that I don't have to wear the tight wig cap under the wig. I also only wear it when I go out, not at home or with close friends. I don't know if the wig is reducing circulation or maybe pulling my hair somehow. I don't want to worsen my hairloss with a wig.

weetdog

Reaction score
Based on my own experance, if your not wearing a wig cap, not using anything to secure it to your hair, and only wearing it when you go out, then Id find it very hard to believe that its having any effect (good or bad) on your hair growth. I found that nylon wig caps (even when I would only wear my wig 1 or 2 days a week and for only a few hours ...... majorly effected the growth of my hair ..esp my front hair line. Clips, used on a moderate basis, should be safe. Stay away from the double sided toupee tape .. even if you only use it to secure your wig for an hour or 2. When I started using that, I lost most of the growth I had got back in my front hair line. Its doesn't show an impact right away but after a few weeks ... you'll notice the loss.