dNovo new promissing player in the stemcell race

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I read while ago that there are around 4,000 papers last 20 years for 3D/4D bioprinting and 70% of them are last 5 years. Every year there are hundreds of scientific papers regards stem cells/iPSCs, CRISPR/Cas9 (and all variants), so technology is in early stage, but moving with big steps last couple of years. Probably, because biomanufacturing technology is advancing with big steps, as well.

Roeysdomi

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
We don't know if Stemson implants are as involved as FUE. Does a surgeon need to cut slits to implant stemsons scaffolds?
They plan to do it with robots. Like atlas robots for exmaple (which again make it longer to be out )

poopfeast420

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
They plan to do it with robots. Like atlas robots for exmaple (which again make it longer to be out )
That's not what I'm saying. As of right now surgeons have to remove the follicle, cut a slit, and then implant the follicle in there. With Stemson half the labor (removing the follicle) is already gone. Another portion (cutting the slits) may not be necessary. So maybe in the future a surgeon who does 1500 fue follicles in a few hours could do 5k of stemsons.

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
is this solution better than the Stemson's? Can they control the color, thickness and density of your hair?
I read somewhere that long time ago scientists confirmed that stem cells have memory and they remember everything from their previous state when you isolate them.

The biggest challenge is reprogramming the dermal papilla cells. They are the most important cells of hair follicle. Couple of new companies claims that they solved this problem...

We will see. Time will tell.

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
growing some hairs in a mice with stem cell injections doesn’t mean anything, this was already done more than 20 years ago. The problem is that it doesn’t translate well to humans. What dNovo is doing seems very similar in spirit with what Dr Kemp with Hair”clone” is aiming to try in humans this year.

That is why Stemson is going for a more complex solution, not because they are stupid but because just injecting some dp cells into your scalp is very hard to work if not impossible.

froggy7

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
growing some hairs in a mice with stem cell injections doesn’t mean anything, this was already done more than 20 years ago. The problem is that it doesn’t translate well to humans. What dNovo is doing seems very similar in spirit with what Dr Kemp with Hair”clone” is aiming to try in humans this year.

That is why Stemson is going for a more complex solution, not because they are stupid but because just injecting some dp cells into your scalp is very hard to work if not impossible.
So these guys(dnovo) didn't learn from the past?

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
You cant do more then 6k graft at one time , the follicels need blood supply , even Zarev break it to 6 month and another 6 month. And I believe that when deNovo will come out with their mathod stemson would have to adapt to their approuch .
And you'd be wrong. This isn't a hair transplant.

badnewsbearer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i dont think so, try to find the personel that can implant such organoids, a normal hair transplant surgeon wont suffice i think

badnewsbearer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
And you'd be wrong. This isn't a hair transplant.
the organoids still need the blood supply, there needs to be studies whether too many injections could lead to necrosis.

also instesd of worrying about the aestetics of hair lines people should wonder how they are addressing the fact that the follicles might not be androgen resistent and minaturize again due to high levels of surrounding DHT and due to potentially not having few enough ansrogen receptors like the donor zone(because rhey are not derived from donor but completely different type of cells which might severely alter epiginetic profiles)

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
the organoids still need the blood supply, there needs to be studies whether too many injections could lead to necrosis.

also instesd of worrying about the aestetics of hair lines people should wonder how they are addressing the fact that the follicles might not be androgen resistent and minaturize again due to high levels of surrounding DHT and due to potentially not having few enough ansrogen receptors like the donor zone(because rhey are not derived from donor but completely different type of cells which might severely alter epiginetic profiles)
The idea that blood supply limits how many grafts can be implanted at one time is mostly, if not entirely, incorrect. Zarev has done up to 14,000 in one session.

The limiting factors are the stamina of the surgeon, the size of the punch for density, the comfort of the patient, shock loss from excessive trauma not blood supply, and of course the availability of grafts and how long they survive before being implanted, so the speed at which the surgeon works.

I'm pretty sure Stemson has already stated that they will be able to make them dht resistant, I think this is the easiest part of the whole operation yet everyone is hung up on it. They wouldn't even be doing this if they couldn't make them dht resistant. Other companies are multiplying cells from the donor zone that after already dht resistant. I think Stemson said their DP cells would likely be dht resistant without any reprogramming because they don't go through the genetic programming that makes scalp hairs sensitive to dht in the first place.

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So these guys(dnovo) didn't learn from the past?
I assume they are trying a new twist, but since they are still very early (mouse model) I guess it is still speculative and they don’t have a clue if it’s going to work or not. So they are after funding to try some stuff.

Also, since their website is basically a marketing flyer with not many tech info shared it’s hard to know.

Roeysdomi

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
8DB974E4-9288-41E1-BDAA-EE7E9AC31803.jpeg

They are getting funds this year guys!!

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score

This guy is not a joke. He got PhD at 2 top 10 universities in USA (Stanford and Harvard), so I am pretty sure that he is not naive and knows that many companies previosly tried and failed with injecting dermal papilla cells.

Dermal papilla cells are most important cells in hair follicle, so if he knows how to reprogram them without losing their inductivity, then there is no reason why these cells can’t grown in human heads.

The hairs in his mice model are human stem cells (all companies previosly mixed human with mice stem cells to grown hairs on mice) are best so far that I had ever seen...

Cardinal~

My Regimen
Reaction score
They are considering funds, not getting.

Is this a one man company? Who are the others in his team? Is there any information? Looks too naive from my perspective...

They're not naive. They went through Y Combinator. For that alone I have more faith in this company than anything else.

badnewsbearer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
They are considering funds, not getting.

Is this a one man company? Who are the others in his team? Is there any information? Looks too naive from my perspective...
joy where is your phd from you said again? what's that? you are saying you are just a rando who made an account on an online forum calling multiple phd holders and scientists naive?