Diy Hair System: Urgent Help Needed!

Hair56

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I've done the whole process of cleaning the system etc.

I've applied the system this morning and noticed I have a small crease towards the middle! This isn't noticeable really but was wondering how much damage it would cause?

How can I sort it without taking the whole thing off?

Hair56

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If I was to take it off will I need to apply another layer of glue?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Creases may be caused by a couple of things.

1. The system doesn't properly fit your scalp Either it's stock, or an improperly made custom system.

2. Improper attachment. If it's not noticeable, then it can wait until your next attachment. It happened to me all the time when I did a full head bond (glue), and didn't properly attach.

It won't cause any damage, other than your ego. And if you remove it, you will probably need to remove all the adhesive and start over again, I would not bother.

Hair56

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Creases may be caused by a couple of things.

1. The system doesn't properly fit your scalp Either it's stock, or an improperly made custom system.

2. Improper attachment. If it's not noticeable, then it can wait until your next attachment. It happened to me all the time when I did a full head bond (glue), and didn't properly attach.

It won't cause any damage, other than your ego. And if you remove it, you will probably need to remove all the adhesive and start over again, I would not bother.

Thank you for replying

It's a custom unit which normally fits perfectly but this was my very first time attaching! It's a couple of millimetres sticking up on one place.

Ok as long as it doesn't cause damage I will leave it as it is.

Hair56

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get 2 weeks if possible out of this bond but we will see.

Any tips for my next attachment?..I marked the hairline and centred it and slowly pressed down and stretching the edges but still had creases.

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get 2 weeks if possible out of this bond but we will see.

Any tips for my next attachment?..I marked the hairline and centred it and slowly pressed down and stretching the edges but still had creases.
This is one of the reasons why I avoid glues and only use tapes. I use something called "adjust a bond" that gives you about a minute to adjust the piece to the way you like it until the tape bond sets in. Very rarely will I use a little bit of glue in the front.

pferr

Reaction score
Thank you for replying

It's a custom unit which normally fits perfectly but this was my very first time attaching! It's a couple of millimetres sticking up on one place.

Ok as long as it doesn't cause damage I will leave it as it is.

I'm a 9 months into wearing my piece and stressed when I first had to detach and reattach.

It's tricky to get it attached exactly the same each time and you'll only get better. Like mentioned, the crease is probably an uneven attachment which to you might seem as noticeable as your nose being on upside down, but to everyone else nothing close to visible or noticeable.

I freaked out many a time thinking people would notice it being a bit skew, and no one batter an eyelid.

Hair56

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm a 9 months into wearing my piece and stressed when I first had to detach and reattach.

It's tricky to get it attached exactly the same each time and you'll only get better. Like mentioned, the crease is probably an uneven attachment which to you might seem as noticeable as your nose being on upside down, but to everyone else nothing close to visible or noticeable.

I freaked out many a time thinking people would notice it being a bit skew, and no one batter an eyelid.

Hi,

I'm just over three months in wearing a system so it's been a rapid learning curve to say the least! What with salons closing down etc. Like you said it should get easier it must have took me absolutely ages to get everything sorted.

Noah

Reaction score
Do worry though. If it is at the back of your unit, under the thick hair, the chances of anyone noticing it are minimal, and it would do the unit any harm.

Hair56

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do worry though. If it is at the back of your unit, under the thick hair, the chances of anyone noticing it are minimal, and it would do the unit any harm.

Thanks for this Noah

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is one of the reasons why I avoid glues and only use tapes. I use something called "adjust a bond" that gives you about a minute to adjust the piece to the way you like it until the tape bond sets in. Very rarely will I use a little bit of glue in the front.

I get the same results with 99% alcohol. I also do 100% tae bond.

Hair56

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Hi,

I used the adjust a bond but it didn't give me any time at all!? I followed the instructions where it says apply after adhesive. Was it because I was letting the glue dry?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I used the adjust a bond but it didn't give me any time at all!? I followed the instructions where it says apply after adhesive. Was it because I was letting the glue dry?

I have never used Adjust a Bond, so I can't tell you anything about it. I have used alcohol, but on tape.

You MUST let the glue dry completely before you bond. Then you apply the adjust a bond (or alcohol). If you really having these problems, switching to all tape (or tape and glued front) is probably your best bet.

@Noah previously posted how to bond in sections. You use an anchor tape in the center, that gets the spritz of alcohol. Once you are totally set (front to back, left to right) ... then you peel off half paper liners in the back, and attach the back. Then the front.

This is how I do it, I get a PERFECT alignment every time.

Hair56

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I applied 3 layers and let it dry for around 5 minutes and then applied the adjust a bond. Maybe I should have let it dry longer for the adjust a bond to work then? But it was tacky like it should be.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I applied 3 layers and let it dry for around 5 minutes and then applied the adjust a bond. Maybe I should have let it dry longer for the adjust a bond to work then? But it was tacky like it should be.

Not sure of what glue you are using but you should wait at least 7 minutes after each layer.

Hair56

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I'm using Ghostbond XL and then I use walkers ultra hold around the edge.

I let it dry for about 2 minutes and then apply another coat this time letting it dry for around 5 minutes. That's when I applied the adjust a bond. Ok so next time just let it dry a few minutes in between coats before adjust a bond spray then?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
1. Why are you using two different adhesives?

2. No, not nearly enough time for a decent bond... at least seven minutes between layers.

Hair56

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's what they do at the place I go to and it works! Even after three weeks it took me ages and a lot of lace release to remove it!

Ok at least I know for next time!

Thanks

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
1. Why are you using two different adhesives?

2. No, not nearly enough time for a decent bond... at least seven minutes between layers.

7 Minutes between each coat? Pro Hair Labs says 20 sec between and 7 minutes on the final coat for ghost bond.

I only get about a week so if you've tried 2 minutes and 7 minutes and found there to be a significant difference, I'll give it a try....But 20 times the suggested dry time between coats sounds like a lot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200417-182049_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200417-182049_Chrome.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 112

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
7 Minutes between each coat? Pro Hair Labs says 20 sec between and 7 minutes on the final coat for ghost bond.

I only get about a week so if you've tried 2 minutes and 7 minutes and found there to be a significant difference, I'll give it a try....But 20 times the suggested dry time between coats sounds like a lot.

In the field experience, and what ALL of our salons do, and recommend. But hey, we're just the professionals, obviously do what you want.