Dire Need Of Minoxidil Tips/tricks From Long-time Users

Lavishous

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sup guys. I'm 21 y/o with very diffuse NW3V and willing to give a low dose minoxidil routine a try for the hell of it (tried the "natural route" with zix, essential oils, etc. to no avail). I'm pretty reactive to medication in general so I'm hoping to try 2% minoxidil at first and see how that goes for a bit. However, I already have unrelenting scalp itch/inflammation/redness and have heard adding liquid minoxidil is the single worst thing you can do for these issues. Would starting with the foam version be a better option? Is there a 2% foam on the market? What to do about scalp itch? Any and all input appreciated.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think foam comes in 2% unfortunately. If you plan to finally treat your hair loss I must stress the urgency of using finasteride. minoxidil works better with it too. 2% solution with no finasteride is a waste of time, hair and money.

Lavishous

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think foam comes in 2% unfortunately. If you plan to finally treat your hair loss I must stress the urgency of using finasteride. minoxidil works better with it too. 2% solution with no finasteride is a waste of time, hair and money.
Yeah I'm gonna go with 5% foam minoxidil then for the time being. I'm holding out on trying finasteride until I exhaust all other potential options. Have had ED issues in the past and have no interest in having them reoccur. Might even just fully bic my head before jumping on finasteride.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sup guys. I'm 21 y/o with very diffuse NW3V and willing to give a low dose minoxidil routine a try for the hell of it (tried the "natural route" with zix, essential oils, etc. to no avail). I'm pretty reactive to medication in general so I'm hoping to try 2% minoxidil at first and see how that goes for a bit. However, I already have unrelenting scalp itch/inflammation/redness and have heard adding liquid minoxidil is the single worst thing you can do for these issues. Would starting with the foam version be a better option? Is there a 2% foam on the market? What to do about scalp itch? Any and all input appreciated.

The women's minoxidil is 2%. You can also just use the 5% once a day, see how that goes.

Scalp itch and irritation should be completely independent of minoxidil. It won't help your itch and it won't make it worse.

I would try nizoral shampoo first, see if that helps. You can buy some peppermint oil at the pharmacy or on Amazon and dissolve it in your Nizoral such that the Nizoral becomes ~1-2% peppermint oil by weight. That should give you a powerful anti-itch shampoo. Or you can just shampoo with nizoral, and apply the peppermint oil as a leave-in treatment.

Lavishous

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The women's minoxidil is 2%. You can also just use the 5% once a day, see how that goes.

Scalp itch and irritation should be completely independent of minoxidil. It won't help your itch and it won't make it worse.

I would try nizoral shampoo first, see if that helps. You can buy some peppermint oil at the pharmacy or on Amazon and dissolve it in your Nizoral such that the Nizoral becomes ~1-2% peppermint oil by weight. That should give you a powerful anti-itch shampoo. Or you can just shampoo with nizoral, and apply the peppermint oil as a leave-in treatment.
I've tried Nizoral. It made my inflammation far worse and I lost tons of ground over like 2 months (at least a full norwood) which is when I first joined the forum. I've been using apple cider vinegar + peppermint oil/tea tree oil mix which has helped a lot with scalp condition. So you really don't think the scalp health will take a hit with the 5% foam once per day?

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've tried Nizoral. It made my inflammation far worse and I lost tons of ground over like 2 months (at least a full norwood) which is when I first joined the forum. I've been using apple cider vinegar + peppermint oil/tea tree oil mix which has helped a lot with scalp condition. So you really don't think the scalp health will take a hit with the 5% foam once per day?

I'd be very surprised if the foam has a significant impact.

Lavishous

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd be very surprised if the foam has a significant impact.
Good to hear. I've heard the foam is easier on the scalp with respect to dandruff, inflammation, etc.? Anyways 3-month supply will arrive on wednesday so wish me luck.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good to hear. I've heard the foam is easier on the scalp with respect to dandruff, inflammation, etc.? Anyways 3-month supply will arrive on wednesday so wish me luck.

The liquid solution has propylene glycol in it, which some people are allergic to. If you're in that fraction of the population that reacts to propylene glycol then minoxidil liquid will give you scalp irritation, for reasons likely completely separate than whatever is causing your current irritation.

Lavishous

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
minoxidil 5% arrived today. Gonna take a before pic just in case I turn into one of those zombie face horror stories. Wish me luck baldies!