Dihydrotestosterone-inducible IL-6 inhibits elongation of human hair shafts by suppressing matrix cell proliferation and promotes regression of hair f

Squeegee 2.0

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Abstract​

Autocrine and paracrine factors are produced by balding dermal papilla (DP) cells following dihydrotestosterone (DHT)-driven alterations and are believed to be key factors involved in male pattern baldness. Herein we report that the IL-6 is upregulated in balding DP cells compared with non-balding DP cells. IL-6 was upregulated 3 hours after 10-100 nM DHT treatment, and ELISA showed that IL-6 was secreted from balding DP cells in response to DHT. IL-6 receptor (IL-6R) and glycoprotein 130 (gp130) were expressed in follicular keratinocytes, including matrix cells. Recombinant human IL-6 (rhIL-6) inhibited hair shaft elongation and suppressed proliferation of matrix cells in cultured human hair follicles. Moreover, rhIL-6 injection into the hypodermis of mice during anagen caused premature onset of catagen. Taken together, our data strongly suggest that DHT-inducible IL-6 inhibits hair growth as a paracrine mediator from the DP

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
So, how to stop IL-6? (And don't tell me Anti-androgens or I'll slap you)

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sarilumab and Tocilizumab. The molar mass of both is somewhat problematic, so mesotherapy is probably the only avenue. Don't get your hopes up though, if these drugs had efficacy against ΑGΑ you would have thought it would have been noticed during clinical trials or in clinical practice. Secukinumab, an IL-17 inhibitor did have that one famous case report that has always interested me, to bad Cosentyx is prohibitively expensive.
Repigmentation and new growth of hairs after anti–interleukin-17 therapy with secukinumab for psoriasis (nih.gov)

fellow1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Indomethacin but it also inhibits PGE2

Also vitamin E

Last edited:

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
DHT inhibits elongation of hair shaft.. I’m not very conversant on the scientific jargon, but as a general theme Elongation of the hair shaft may be the specific topic we need to focus on. What elongates & what doesn’t. If we can just get the frozen/thin hair shafts to “grow & thicken” or elongate we can start to see some progress.
Elongation of the hair shaft: it’s interesting scientists are phrasing their research that way. I’m just starting to pay attention.

Squeegee 2.0

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Androgen inducible molecules, such as Interleukin-6 (IL-6) and transforming growth factor (TGF)-β1 have been shown to inhibit hair growth in paracrine manner [27], [47] and could be contributing factors of cellular senescence. Whether the androgen/AR-accelerated premature senescence of DPCs is also mediated via autocrine manner by androgen inducible IL-6 and TGF-β1 needs more investigation.

Ticken

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Apremilast / Otezla (PDE4 inhibitor) inhibits various pro-inflammatory cytokines, including IL-6. Otezla is not an immunosuppresant but rather a non-biologic selective immunomodulator and anti-inflammatory. Although classified as a Psoriasis drug it is also used off-label in inflammatory conditions of the dermis.

I'm only a month into using otezla so too soon for me to say much but there are a few others in the forum who have taken it longer and hopefully they will chime in.

Also noteworthy, Otezla, inhibits IL-17...famous case study here:

Last edited:

EndlessPossibilities

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Apremilast / Otezla (PDE4 inhibitor) inhibits various pro-inflammatory cytokines, including IL-6. Otezla is not an immunosuppresant but rather a non-biologic selective immunomodulator and anti-inflammatory. Although classified as a Psoriasis drug it is also used off-label in inflammatory conditions of the dermis.

I'm only a month into using otezla so too soon for me to say much but there are a few others in the forum who have taken it longer and hopefully they will chime in.

Also noteworthy, Otezla, inhibits IL-17...famous case study here:
Anything to report my guy?