Diffuse Hair Loss

bwynne

Reaction score
I have had diffuse hair lost for the past 2 years. I am 51 so wonder if it's menapause. The amount of hair that comes out is alarming, but I am not bald yet. It is very stressful seeing that much hair come out each day during washing, blow drying, etc. For now it seems as if my hair is growing back, but thinner. Although I'm not bald yet, if this rate of hair loss continues, I will be. I have had every kind of blood test run and test. Everything is normal. I have been "brushed off" by my dermatologist as being under stress. As I have recently learned, stress is normally not the cause of a continued diffuse hair loss. I would like to talk to others who have this problem or has been successful in finding help or treatment.

sk8rmom

Reaction score
I am having the same experience as you are....
Blood tests are all normal and I saw an endocrinologist who gave me the brush off. I am almost 37 and I recently found out that my mother and her 6 sisters went through menopause by the time they were 40. I would be interested in comparing notes.

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
heavy shedding

I, too, had severe shedding. I am 51 and began low-dose HRT (fem-hrt) about 18 months ago. Who really knows what our hormones and genes do to us. Not to mention our physical and mental environment.
I don't know if our hair loss reasons are similar. But I do know that about 3 weeks after starting Folligen daily, the shedding came to a standstill. There is WAY less on my comb than there was pre-hairloss crisis (last fall 2002). Sometimes no hair on my comb after I wash it. There is no regrowth yet, but it is only 2-1/2 months with Folligen. Have you considered Folligen, Rogaine or some of the other products recommended on this site? :?:
"Keep the hair you have"--old rogaine ad.
Also, I have read that lack of estrogen contributes to skin problems---itching, dry, flaky, etc.. Like the estrogen helps the skin's immune system stay healthy? Do you have this experience?

PZ

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat ladies. I never even knew this was such a wide spread problem until it happened to me. Sounds sort of self absorbed huh! The tests are all normal. I'm just losing my hair and my scalp itches alot. The dr's have no clue whats going on. I was told it was Fibrosing Alopecia but I don't have any of the normal symptoms. The dr. did put me on something called Dermovate to decrease inflammation. but there is no infection. I'm not satisfied with the info I've been given. It seems to me that if there is inflammation, itching, and pain along with the hair loss they should be able to tell me a little more. I'm venting............

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
PZ~~
I don't know what is causing your itchiness.
Is it something that is connected to cold weather, maybe being in warm, dry, indoor air? I know running the furnace makes my skin and scalp itch like crazy.

Have you tried a vinegar rinse? Two ounces of apple cider vinegar and 6 ounces of warm water in a applicator bottle. Apply to scalp after washing your hair. Continue your shower and then rinse out (it's been on your scalp a few minutes).
I know others leave the vinegar on the hair, but it left a residue on my hair that made it impossible to style!
Maybe controlling the itch will slow down the shed!

Something you didn't mention, has anything happened in the last few months to start this itch/shed?
Any meds, stress, diet, illness changes?
How old are you? Did you see an endo? Are your hormones changing--ie entering perimenopause?