Differences And Properties Of Putty, Paste, Fiber, And Cream?

TooStraightFlatSoft

My Regimen
Reaction score
I know the differences between gel, wax, pomade, and clay. They are the four most common products.
But people around me just don't use putty, paste, fiber, and cream. And I can't easily find them on market except for gel, wax, pomade, and clay. And one of the biggest reason I come here to ask, is because there are no exactly distinct properties of hair putty, paste, fiber, and cream written on some articles. I guess hair putty, paste, fiber, and cream are similar to clay? Are they clay's family members? I don't know. If someone knows the differences, or properties of putty, paste, fiber, and cream, please tell me. I must know them.

And sorry for my English though, I tried my best to make it understandable.

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Clay: Best for volume, has a more matte finish, good hold. Tougher to work with initially but is easier to work with once you heat it up in your hands and are usually surprisingly easy to wash out.
Paste: Very versatile, any hair length, works good with thinning hair imo (Clay too I guess). Easiest to work with behind cream. Easy to wash out but could be a culprit to heavy rain.
Cream: Provides a nice, slightly shiny finish with decent volume but does not provide much hold.
Fiber: Clay with lower hold maybe? I never really used it so I can't say for sure.
Putty: A bit like clay too but with more shine (not much though) but from personal experience, I find them to have less hold than Clay but still pretty good. Putty is often a water based product while Clay can often be both water based and wax.
Pomade: Good for those 50s hairstyles. Good hold but more shine than Clay and Putty. Is worth a shot if you have a moderate amount of hair.

For a diffuse thinner with receded hair line I can say that Clay and Paste work the best for me. I usually lean more towards Clay but it's harder to work with than Paste and if you are too rough you will pull hairs but it's not that bad to work with, as I said, once you heat it up. Paste is probably the middle of the ground, first thing to try tbh. Maybe you feel after using Paste that you need more hold, maybe less shine or potentially Paste is just right.

TooStraightFlatSoft

My Regimen
Reaction score
I really appreciated your delicious, copious experience and analysis. But I need to ask some questions.
What does "...could be a culprit to heavy rain" mean in your paste explanation? And, do you mean that Cream is the easiest product to work with among the products above? Last question, how is the hold of Paste? Thank you really much!

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I really appreciated your delicious, copious experience and analysis. But I need to ask some questions.
What does "...could be a culprit to heavy rain" mean in your paste explanation? And, do you mean that Cream is the easiest product to work with among the products above? Last question, how is the hold of Paste? Thank you really much!

The hold of paste is pretty good actually but what I mean is that I generally do not use too much paste (or cream) because it can weigh the hair down if you use too much and in heavy rain it would probably get a bit soggy but to be honest, no hair product is perfect for rain.

Cream is the easiest to work with yes, both scooping it out of the jar and working it into your hair. It's like a like a hand cream in consistency, maybe a bit thicker in the jar but it smears out in the hand just as easy as a hand/face cream.

What kind of hair do you have? Long, short, medium length? I guess you have at least some hair left since you want to use hair styling products. Either way, if you don't have thick hair still, cream is probably not that nice.

Last edited:

TooStraightFlatSoft

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh. Yes, I don't think Paste can survive in a heavy rain either. I was just a little bit confused about the word "culprit" you used. And I do have two products in my bathroom. I have a pomade and a wax, they are all for medium length due to the product details I later found in their own website.

By the way, I kind of want to see your thoughts on Wax. Do you think it has a strong hold? Do you think it's hard to wash out?

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh. Yes, I don't think Paste can survive in a heavy rain either. I was just a little bit confused about the word "culprit" you used. And I do have two products in my bathroom. I have a pomade and a wax, they are all for medium length due to the product details I later found in their own website.

By the way, I kind of want to see your thoughts on Wax. Do you think it has a strong hold? Do you think it's hard to wash out?

I have used Wax based clays and pomades and I don't find them particularly tough to get out of my hair in the shower. You might need to use shampoo to make sure there is nothing left but I do that for water based products too. Wax-based/tougher products could potentially be a bit tougher to wash away from your palms without soap. In other words, I need a bit more time to style etc. with wax-based products but in the shower they are all the same imo. Keep in mind I generally always use quality $15-25 products and not the $5 generic ones in the supermarket that wants you to buy their shampoo to wash it out properly (LOL).

TooStraightFlatSoft

My Regimen
Reaction score
So you don't have a pure hair wax? I hear that pure hair waxes are kind of tough to wash away from your hair, and my wax is just like that. Also, I am getting a Reuzel Pink Pomade. The company of the pomade also recommends that you should get three other products in order to get the pomade out of your hair completely. What's your thought on this? Should I buy them?

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So you don't have a pure hair wax? I hear that pure hair waxes are kind of tough to wash away from your hair, and my wax is just like that. Also, I am getting a Reuzel Pink Pomade. The company of the pomade also recommends that you should get three other products in order to get the pomade out of your hair completely. What's your thought on this? Should I buy them?

No, stay away from products that requires side products to get it off.

You are going to pull hair if you use a products that's tough to work with.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just use dax wax, makes it look as if i have used cooking oil on my hair but what the hell.

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just use dax wax, makes it look as if i have used cooking oil on my hair but what the hell.

That's exactly the one I was referring to. If you want to keep your hair healthy but use wax and don't get unnecessary hair loss from messing around with your hair then buy a quality product with healthy ingredients, maybe a water based product tbh, they are easy to clean out.