Dieting Plan Tips

G

mariejoe said:
Indeed!
I, too, thought he was a crackpot. Until we caught him on Phil Donahue (a real crack-pot) in February. That interview changed my life!

a new attitude...

Change is good! Or not.

Stabber

Established Member
Reaction score
diet slowly. Dont lose more than 1.5lbs a week or you'll be losing muscle most likely. I've lost over 12lbs by eating better and doing cardio( i lost it way to fast and it took some muscle with it) I suggest you make a journal of some sort. The link to mine is below. It's definitely a work in progress. I still need to drop a litt.e

Stabber

Established Member
Reaction score
get yourself in a calorie deficit. Eat low amoutns of sodium as possible. Drink a lot of water. Watch the carbs and sugar intake.
Do cardio

Olorin

Established Member
Reaction score
all diets that reduce calories work. there is nothing special about atkins or any of these other fads. Balance is the key. You KNOW what foods are bad for you. Eat healthy, eat balanced. The rest will come.

G

Olorin said:
all diets that reduce calories work. there is nothing special about atkins or any of these other fads. Balance is the key. You KNOW what foods are bad for you. Eat healthy, eat balanced. The rest will come.

I am sorry but there is absolutely NO science to this statement. The fact is that the "calorie is everything in weight loss" has been dissproven ad nauseum. In the last controlled study on the Atkins Diet, they controlled for calories and the Atkins dieters lost more weight and retained more lean body mass. This type of result has been consistently produced on Atkins and other diets that induce changes in insulin/glycogen levels.

The fact is that macronutrient composition does make a difference in lean body composition and weight.

Moreover, your enjoinder to EAT HEALTH, EAT BALANCED means nothing. What is healthy, what is balanced? Can you tell me that there is generalized agreement on what THAT means?

Olorin

Established Member
Reaction score
Eat healthy has become some kind of confusing buzz word now? I have a big mac on one side, i have a piece of broiled fish with vegetables on the other. Which is healthy? I have a bowl of cherries on one side, i have a bowl of frosted flakes on the other. Which is healthy? I'm not saying that a caloire is simply a calorie, but any diet that advocates almost completely eliminating carbohydrates is suspect. Hey! We NEED carbs! Yeah! It's true! You may lose weight on the Atkin's diet, but you will almost likely be off it in 3 months, and you'll feel like sh*t doing it.

G

Olorin said:
Eat healthy has become some kind of confusing buzz word now? I have a big mac on one side, i have a piece of broiled fish with vegetables on the other. Which is healthy? I have a bowl of cherries on one side, i have a bowl of frosted flakes on the other. Which is healthy? I'm not saying that a caloire is simply a calorie, but any diet that advocates almost completely eliminating carbohydrates is suspect. Hey! We NEED carbs! Yeah! It's true! You may lose weight on the Atkin's diet, but you will almost likely be off it in 3 months, and you'll feel like sh*t doing it.

Well, you say that we need carbs but there is actually no proof that we do. If we did, Dr Atkins aand many others would have been dead long ago.

Factually, we can't really eliminate ALL carbs since trace elements do exist in most foods. But, we certainly can eliminate most of them if you want to.

I have used the Atkins apporoach on several occasions and have felt fine doing it. My wife is in the process of using it and has lost about 25 lbs, looks great and feels fine.

Slowly she will add some veggies to the routine as she dose not want to lose much more weight.

Point is that this macro nutrient approach does work well for losing weight , retaining mass, and not being hungry. Those deliverables are powerful.

Do one want to sharply restrict carbs for their whole life? Not likely but moderating them after reaching the right bodyfat level is very workable indeed.

Olorin

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you have a link for the Atkins study? I'm not challenging you as I remember some positive Atkins results in teh last few years but I'd like to see how stacked the deck was in regards to how the other group was dieting. I'm not saying that the Atkins diet wont work. It likely will since you are eating far less then you did before (i know you don't agree with me here) and yes I'm familiar with why the theory is that carbs make you fat. From my PERSONAL experience though, and from observing people all my life, (which as you know means nothing in science) people do not lose weight for good until they make lifestyle changes. I just don't see Atkins as a life i'd like to live :p btw I'm not sure if you know but Atkins is dead, slipped on some ice this winter. What a way to go.

G

Olorin said:
Do you have a link for the Atkins study? I'm not challenging you as I remember some positive Atkins results in teh last few years but I'd like to see how stacked the deck was in regards to how the other group was dieting. I'm not saying that the Atkins diet wont work. It likely will since you are eating far less then you did before (i know you don't agree with me here) and yes I'm familiar with why the theory is that carbs make you fat. From my PERSONAL experience though, and from observing people all my life, (which as you know means nothing in science) people do not lose weight for good until they make lifestyle changes. I just don't see Atkins as a life i'd like to live :p btw I'm not sure if you know but Atkins is dead, slipped on some ice this winter. What a way to go.

I don't have a link but I am sure if you go to the Atkins Website they have the links and cites.

Re: it is all about eating less, the studies controlled for calorie intake. I can assure you by my own experience and my wifes, eating havarti cheese, shrimp, bacon all dribbled with olive oil is not low calorie eating. But as I said, the studies controlled for calorie intake.

I can also assure you that unlike any other diet, you never need to be hungry on the Atkins diet.

Re; Lifestyle changes, I certainly would never advocate that one only change their diet to get fit and lose weight. Other changes will certainly help generate good health and fitness. But diet seems to be the biggest challenge for many.

Re; your choice of Atkins methods, that is a personal choice and is fine. What I was commenting on was the rejection of the atkins approach by many simply based on dogma and not science. Fact is that it works fast and well and is not for everyone's taste.

Olorin

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd be curious to know your caloric intake if you actually recorded it during your diet. As for me, I don't "diet" That's what I think the difference is. I also assure you that despite my aversion to Atkins, I am never hungry either. :love: And i'm not rejecting Atkins completely. It works. I've seen it work. But I've seen people lose weight eating just soup too. THe only thing they had in common with Atkins is that eventually they went back to theri old routines.

I will check out the site however.

Stabber

Established Member
Reaction score
Olorin said:
Oh just in case you're curious (and because I'm a shameless attention wh***) I have an online journal for what I eat. It's a free account and it's by far the most helpful thing I've ever seen :p

This is the link to what I ate yesterday :)

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJour ... th=6&Day=7

369 grams of fat and 896 grams of carbs yesterday!!??!! :freaked: