DEVIL EYES!! (minoxidil f*cking up my eyes)

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dogs3 said:
hey dude, when i tried minoxidil a while back i got the same thing but only at night...I realized that i was putting it on and then it would kind of leave a bit of residue on my scalp. When i went to bed as i rolled over during the night the residue would get onto my pillow then into my eyes...simply put, the redness is most likely from the minoxidil or minonx residue actually getting into your eyes. It sucks but if you really want to stop it you could always buy a sleeping mask and wear it for a few nights. I actually tried this anf it worked, but the mask was a bit uncomfortable. That way though it will prevent minoxidil from getting into your eyes and if your problem stops then you have your answer. I'm really betting thats the case.

hey thanks for the advice man.. my eyes are better now since i took DH's advice (i was getting minoxidil into my contacts and replaced them).... now i am just being extra careful when putting contacts in and will be buying dailys...

man why did you go to all that trouble to wear a mask as you could have worn one of those head caps (plastic ones)?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
mj9 said:
DoctorHouse said:
mj9 said:
hmmm i think you might have hit the nail on the head there... unfortunatly i m wearing monthly contacts so i am probably going to have to chuck them... i always wash my hands though so i dont know how i am getting minoxidil into my eyes.... infact i wash them twice now with two different types of soap just to make sure - surely the minoxidil would come out? i will try and give the contacts a break and see if it gets better but its gonna be hard cause i hate wearing my glasses....

why would the minoxidil not wash out of the contact lenses with some contact lens solution?

i have never been allergic to anything surely i m not allergic to minoxidil? i put it on my head everyday and not rash etc...
MJ, how are your eyes doing?

hey DH, you were right after all :)
i chucked the monthly contacts in the bin and opened a new set and my eyes are not getting red or dry anymore (dry sometimes but my eyes are always been like that due to contacts)... however, i am aware i might get minoxidil into the new monthly ones that i am currently wearing so will be investing in some daily contacts as you suggested :)

thank god i didnt have to go the allergy route!

cheers again :punk:
:bravo: I sent your medical bill in the mail. :mrgreen: Just kidding. I am glad your eyes are doing better. I guess it was worth posting your problem. :jump:

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
well supposedly if you get minoxidil on your contact lens, it will not wash out no matter what you do...??

it must have been the case with me because as soon as i replaced mine with a new pair, my eyes stopped getting red....

thanks again to DH for the advice.

RedEyes

Reaction score
Hey All,
I just found this site while searching up the exact same problem. I use monthly contacts and haven't had a problem with them for a couple years. I just upgraded to 5% minoxidil and my contacts started causing my eyes to go crazy red. I stopped wearing them and my eyes would clear up after a few days. I pulled out a new pair and my eyes were fine, but on the third day they started going all red again. It looks like contacts can get contaminted really easy with this stuff, even from sweat dripping into your eyes while running or playing sports.
I'll be switching to dailies and hope this fixes my problem.

Cheers!

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
RedEyes said:
Hey All,
I just found this site while searching up the exact same problem. I use monthly contacts and haven't had a problem with them for a couple years. I just upgraded to 5% minoxidil and my contacts started causing my eyes to go crazy red. I stopped wearing them and my eyes would clear up after a few days. I pulled out a new pair and my eyes were fine, but on the third day they started going all red again. It looks like contacts can get contaminted really easy with this stuff, even from sweat dripping into your eyes while running or playing sports.

Cheers!

You might want to wash your hands two or three times after applying minoxidil, it helps and no red eyes... I use 3 different types of soap after applying minoxidil and i dont get red eyes anymore (even when I wear the monthly contacts)

cleverusername

Established Member
Reaction score
Dogs explaination might also be the reason my facial hair has gotten thicker. I think I might start wrapping my hair at night with like a plastic bag and see if things change.

PS contacts are a b**ch in general I've worn them for years and always have dry itchy eyes. Soon as I take them off and wear my glasses I feel 100% better. Definitely getting lasik done early next year.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
mj9 said:
RedEyes said:
Hey All,

Cheers!

You might want to wash your hands two or three times after applying minoxidil, it helps and no red eyes... I use 3 different types of soap after applying minoxidil and i dont get red eyes anymore (even when I wear the monthly contacts)
Glad to hear that you are doing better and finally realized soft contacts are like sponges,they absorb anything with which they make contact. Women tend to have more problems with contacts because they tend to use alot of hand creams, face creams, make up, hair spray etc. and yet ironically they try to blame there is something wrong with the contacts but actually its due to cosmetics.