DEVIL EYES!! (minoxidil f*cking up my eyes)

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
ok so i ve been on minoxidil for 2 months and getting great results. BUT, its giving me red eyes.... my eyes go red as soon as i apply minoxidil and feel very dry... it looks as if i havent slept for days or am the devil him self...

what am i doing wrong? anyway i can prevent this from happening?

anyone else getting this problem?

can this have any longterm damage to my eyes?

madhatter

Established Member
Reaction score
I had this a little bit last week, but only for a couple days. I used Visine and it cleared them up....

ali777

Reaction score
minoxidil doesn't affect my eyes, but I get dark circles around my eyes.

You might be getting red eyes from reading the forums. It is sitting in front of the computer for too long that gives me red eyes.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
mj9 said:
ok so i ve been on minoxidil for 2 months and getting great results. BUT, its giving me red eyes.... my eyes go red as soon as i apply minoxidil and feel very dry... it looks as if i havent slept for days or am the devil him self...

what am i doing wrong? anyway i can prevent this from happening?

anyone else getting this problem?

can this have any longterm damage to my eyes?
I have never heard, read, or seen any patients with red eyes due to minoxidil and as far as I know no longterm damage to the eyes can occur. Your eyes may get red if you get some minoxidil on your fingers and then touch your eyes or somehow you get some minoxidil in your eyes. The alcohol fumes from the minoxidil may make your eyes get red and dry.

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
whats visine?

yes, they are noticable... especially my right eye...

maybe it is all the time i am spending in front of the computer reading forums... :)

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Visine presses the blood vessels in your eye, to make them smaller, so they practically disappear and your eye will look plain white (not the pupil of course). It's not very healthy, but useful, if you don't want to look high.

lovemyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas of how to reduce the dark bags around my eyes? Damn its a lousy side effect isn't it? People at work think I hardly sleep!

ali777

Reaction score
I checked Boots website, a UK chemist, and there are lots of creams that claim to be remedy for dark circles.

Next time I go to town I might buy one of them.

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
ok guys my eyes get really red and irritate me after applying minoxidil especially at night.... i dont want to stop using it as i am getting good results at the moment....

what could be the reason for this? and could it be damaging my eyes?

ali777

Reaction score
Why don't you ask an optician or get some eye drops to ease the redness in your eyes?

I get red eyes at least once a month, but I know mine are caused by the computer screen. I don't do anything about it, I just take a day off and I sleep for as long as I can.

I know people that use visine, you should give it a try. It does work.

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
ali777 said:
Why don't you ask an optician or get some eye drops to ease the redness in your eyes?

I get red eyes at least once a month, but I know mine are caused by the computer screen. I don't do anything about it, I just take a day off and I sleep for as long as I can.

I know people that use visine, you should give it a try. It does work.

thanks for the advice ali... i bought some eye drops but they only work for about 15 seconds and my eys dry out again and go red... i also wear contact lenses and recently they have been irritating me alot due to the minoxidil dryness of my eyes...

i wanted to try visine but i have heard its only a cosmetic product...

i think i might need to go to the optician but i m afraid they are going to tell me to stop using minoxidil :(

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
mj, minoxidil dilates the vessels( makes the blood vessels larger and causes more blood to enter the vessels) so it does the same to your eyes. Do not use visine because if you use it long term it will eventually do the same thing as minoxidil. Are you using the foam or the liquid? If your eyes are dry use artificial tears like systane. Make sure you wash your hands after you use minoxidil so you don't have excess on your fingers and then touch your eyes. If its causing eye problems it is getting systemically absorbed too much. Are your eyes itchy at all?

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
DoctorHouse said:
mj, minoxidil dilates the vessels( makes the blood vessels larger and causes more blood to enter the vessels) so it does the same to your eyes. Do not use visine because if you use it long term it will eventually do the same thing as minoxidil. Are you using the foam or the liquid? If your eyes are dry use artificial tears like systane. Make sure you wash your hands after you use minoxidil so you don't have excess on your fingers and then touch your eyes. If its causing eye problems it is getting systemically absorbed too much. Are your eyes itchy at all?

hi, i was using the foam before and i dont remember getting red eyes but then i switched to liquid (due to bad things i have heard about it not being as efficient) and now i am getting red eyes all the time... i am using artificial tears at the moment but they are not working at all and yes my eyes are itchy and dry.... usually i dont have a problem with contact lenses but now i am having to rush home and take them off straight away....

i am only applying 1 ml twice a day... any solution? most importantly, is it damaging my eyes?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Give your contacts a break and wear your glasses for about a week. If your eyes are itchy most likely you have an allergy in your eyes. Hopefully you are wearing disposable contacts otherwise if you got even a tiny little bit of minoxidil residue from your fingers on your contacts, it will never come out of the contacts and every time you put the contacts in you will have the same problem. Are you wearing disposables? Get Focus dailies disposables if you can and you won't have problems like this. I wear Focus dailies and have no problems. Itchy and redness traditionally means allergy. You need to see your eye doctor for some allergy drops. OTC you can use Zaditor twice a day but I would first see your eye doctor to confirm its any allergy.

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
hmmm i think you might have hit the nail on the head there... unfortunatly i m wearing monthly contacts so i am probably going to have to chuck them... i always wash my hands though so i dont know how i am getting minoxidil into my eyes.... infact i wash them twice now with two different types of soap just to make sure - surely the minoxidil would come out? i will try and give the contacts a break and see if it gets better but its gonna be hard cause i hate wearing my glasses....

why would the minoxidil not wash out of the contact lenses with some contact lens solution?

i have never been allergic to anything surely i m not allergic to minoxidil? i put it on my head everyday and not rash etc...

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I sent you a PM. Read it.

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hey dude, when i tried minoxidil a while back i got the same thing but only at night...I realized that i was putting it on and then it would kind of leave a bit of residue on my scalp. When i went to bed as i rolled over during the night the residue would get onto my pillow then into my eyes...simply put, the redness is most likely from the minoxidil or minonx residue actually getting into your eyes. It sucks but if you really want to stop it you could always buy a sleeping mask and wear it for a few nights. I actually tried this anf it worked, but the mask was a bit uncomfortable. That way though it will prevent minoxidil from getting into your eyes and if your problem stops then you have your answer. I'm really betting thats the case.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
mj9 said:
hmmm i think you might have hit the nail on the head there... unfortunatly i m wearing monthly contacts so i am probably going to have to chuck them... i always wash my hands though so i dont know how i am getting minoxidil into my eyes.... infact i wash them twice now with two different types of soap just to make sure - surely the minoxidil would come out? i will try and give the contacts a break and see if it gets better but its gonna be hard cause i hate wearing my glasses....

why would the minoxidil not wash out of the contact lenses with some contact lens solution?

i have never been allergic to anything surely i m not allergic to minoxidil? i put it on my head everyday and not rash etc...
MJ, how are your eyes doing?

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
DoctorHouse said:
mj9 said:

MJ, how are your eyes doing?

hey DH, you were right after all :)
i chucked the monthly contacts in the bin and opened a new set and my eyes are not getting red or dry anymore (dry sometimes but my eyes are always been like that due to contacts)... however, i am aware i might get minoxidil into the new monthly ones that i am currently wearing so will be investing in some daily contacts as you suggested :)

thank god i didnt have to go the allergy route!

cheers again :punk: