Desperate. I Can't Have A Clean Hair Line. Help Needed Please!!!

Yagami

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been wearing for almost 3 weeks now and I'm unable to have a clean hairline!

I've started with glue in front and tape on the sides & the back and my biggest problem was to apply the glue accurately. I either apply too far and I get the hair stuck on it and by cleaning the mess I end up weakening the glue and the front lift or I apply not far enough and we can the base can easily be seen.

I've read here that some people succeeded at having an undetectable frontline with tape. So I've ordered C contour No-Shine and Ultra Hold Tapes. I experimented with both but I still can't make it work (see picture below). I've applied the tape to the very edge of the base and cut the tape tip that exceeds but I still have that kind of excess skin right in front of the hairline.

This is driving me nuts. I know that the learning curve is steep but after at least 30 de-re in only 2 weeks I'm beginning to lose patience. I really want to make this work and I need your help and feedbacks. How do you guys manage to have those clean frontlines for 1-2 weeks? Any help would be appreciated.

The only thing that works for me for the moment is Got2Be as it's easy to apply and it doesn't leave a mess behind. But I want to go at the gym and swim with my system :(
If it works this way it has to work the other way. What am I missing guys?

Thanks a lot in advance for your advice.
20180612_213311.jpg

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Yagami

The only tape I have found which is undetectable enough for an exposed hairline is Walkers 3-mil tape. Ultrahold and No-Shine are great for the back and sides, but they are too thick and detectable for the hairline. That's my view anyway.

If you are using glue, the knack is to get it in the right place and not elsewhere. I do that by fixing the back and centre of the piece in position first, leaving the hairline loose. Then I hold the loose hairline flap down into the correct position with one hand, and mark the exact position of the hairline by sticking the thumbnail of my other hand into my forehead all the way along - it leaves a series of little marks which disappear after 5 minutes. You could commandeer your girlfriend's eyeliner pencil instead. Then I clip back the hairline and paint the glue on using the thumbnail marks to guide me, let it dry, do a second coat, let it dry, give the glued area a little spritz of alcohol, then apply the system to the same line - centre of the hairline first, then working out to the sides. The alcohol gives you a few seconds to get the hairpiece hairline exactly where it should be on the glue. Then ram the system firmly down into the glue using the teeth of a comb held sideways. Finally, wet your finger with cold water and tap it lightly all along the glued hairline. The pattern of your fingerprint should kill any remaining shine.

Hope this is useful.

Yagami

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Noah,
Thank you for your feedback. I was hoping to have a better result with those tapes. I've seen really good frontlines using them that I just can't replicate.
I've heard of 3-mill, but it's only available on Hair Direct and their S&H of 25$ is a big turn off unless I have a bigger order.
I have really done exactly what you've described for the glue, but even by marking the position I can't seem to fit it correctly. I have also tried the alcohol tip but it doesn't seem to give me any time to adjust (I'm using 99%). I have also a big problem with the hair falling down and sticking to the glue excess on the borders.
I'll persevere and try to follow exactly your steps and update here my results.

What glue gives you a good hold in the frontline? Just asking.

Thanks again,

Noah

Reaction score
Yeah, Hair Direct's shipping is a rip-off. They must be making so much profit off it. We should start a co-operative for this stuff. Where are you based?

I use Davlyn Black for my hairline.

One thing that occurred to me from looking at your picture was that you might be stretching the lace too much when you apply, and then it could be contracting (releasing the tension that you have created) and sliding back off the line of glue, exposing the shiny glued surface. Is that possible? You want the mesh to be snug, but not taut. There shouldn't be any tension in the mesh.

Yagami

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm based in Montreal.
No, the lace is really just staying in position without any stretching.
I'll try my best to make this work. It has to be.
For now, I have GB Platinum and it seems to yield some good results for others for the frontline.

Noah

Reaction score
Good luck man. Hope to hear some good news as a result of your efforts.

Yagami

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just read again your direction for attaching the system and I think that the last step with the cold water won't do it with Ghost bound as it will tend to turn white.

Yagami

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'll do that. For the moment this is the best I can do to hide the frontline. I've a professional meeting tomorrow morning and I don't have the time to reattach.
20180613_022723.jpg

Yagami

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, it's water, I had to wet my hair to style it. I noticed that too, so I double checked after taking the picture and the tape mark is well hidden behind the hair :cool:

Yagami

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok, so I've decided that I won't detach today, in fact, I will wait for at least 1 week because I've never left the system on for more than 36h. I want to test how long the system will last and if after 1 week it's still secured to my scalp. I will follow your instruction @Noah the next time I attach with glue.
The meeting went great and I've made a big impression on the CEO I've met, thanks to my regained confidence :D During the meeting I didn't think for one second about my hair, which is odd because this was my first face to face with someone in a room for over 3h since I started wearing.
One funny thing, when I was done with the meeting I headed to a local wig shop where I was hoping to find a scalp protector. In short, I was explaining what a scalp protector was and that I wear a system when the owner pocked here assistant and said: "It's really well done... really well done!". Talk about a constructive criticism, coming from someone who earns a living attaching systems :D That just made my day.

By the way, the CEO I met sent me an offer for a consulting job that could cover the expenses for at least 3 systems for 2 days of work YES.

Next one, a job interview with a good position in a big company on Friday. Fingers crossed :)

F.Coronilla

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dont forget to w8 when aplying glue before placing the lace, it make a big difference.

Yagami

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, I normally wait until the glue is transparent for the first layer and 5 minutes after the second. Is it ok?

Noah

Reaction score
Cool news on the job interview, and the complement from the local rug guy. Good luck for Friday, and with the next de-/re-. My whole credibility as a hair system guru is on the line here, so I'm rooting for ya .

Noah

Yagami

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Haha thank you Noah. I'll do my best not to deceive you. My next challenge, having an indetectable frontline with glue.
Cheers,

F.Coronilla

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
try longer before placing the lace, 10-15 minutes, which glue do you use?

Noah you think black is better than gree davlyn for lace? i am using ultra hold atm but maibe in the future.

cheers