Dermmatch, the king of concealers

The Dangerman

Established Member
Reaction score
I have thinning hair, and after Rogaine Form failed to yield results I turned to concealers to try and cover up a bit, hopefully until Propecia takes effect, but if not then permanently.

I first tried Toppik, which worked "okay" but which I never felt totall happy with and never felt total secure when wet.

Then I ordered Dermmatch, which is just brilliant. It transforms my thin and unnattractive hair into a completely full head. There are just no holes in it anymore! There are drawbacks to it, but in my opinion are worth it.

Yes a little will come off on your pillow, and this maybe an issue if you have white sheets. I have blue so I hardly notice it at all. I doubt other people will either. It's not like a big gloopy mess, it's just a browny-black power. Most of it even dusts off. However as I said, it maybe more of an issue if you have white sheets. It's no problem for your own bed however of course the problem is when sleeping in someone elses. Again, fine if your sleeping alone as you could put a T-Shirt over the pillow or something, but not so good if you have got lucky(with the help of your new full head of hair!). Not much of an answer really, you could wash it out the night before - as someone said "Just say your washing the gel out etc". But that will leave you the problem of thin hair in the morning. The other way is just to bluff your way out of it. It does clean off and maybe able to dust it before she wakes up. I don't know, you would just have to wing it.

Application is not the easiest, and takes a little while to master. Less is definately more! When you first apply it it won't look so good, I was dissapointed for sure. However, if you brush it a lot whilst it is drying it will totally transform it! Honestly you won't believe the difference!

It may make a mess of your bathroom sink, but cleans off with soap an water. You may also need to wipe a little excess of your forehead. Don't get too close to the hairline, maybe a 10-15mm behind or something and brush forward. It's much easier than Toppik though.

If anyone wants I can post some pictures up. I have just applied it now though after using Nizoral so it won't be for about 3 days in order to get a before pic.

The application does take time, but fits in well with my Nizoral schedule. Every 3 days I will wash with a mild shampoo to get rid of the Dermmatch, then Nizoral, then re-apply Dermmatch. At first this was taking me upto an hour, but can now get it done in about 30 mins or so, give or take. However, since most of that time is waiting for it to dry and brushing it through I can do other things as well such as cleaning my teeth and having a shave etc, so it's not quiet as bad as it sounds. It also lasts 2-3 days at least if your prepared not to wash your hair so it's no hardship.

Anyway, just thought I would share that - hope it helps.

CCS

Reaction score
if you are getting lucky, and you took your shirt off during sex, put that undershirt of yours over the pill, as the lights go off. She won't notice. Then put the undershirt under your shirt in the morning.

I go right up to the hair line. It does make my hair look too think, though, so I try to fade.

Less is more. Don't try to paint your scalp. Just shaddow it.

The draw back is it could take some time if you have a big area to cover. I just do whatever patch looks worse first.

I do not get powder in my sink. For my 1 inche x 8 inch area, I can do an OK improvement in 1 minute, or do a supper job in 8 minutes. I don't think it takes much skill. Just part your hair and don't put it on too thick, and you will be fine. Jump around. Don't perfect on patch before you see the big picture.

In 15 minutes after it dries, you won't be able to feel it, and your woman can put her hands in her hair all she wants, and she won't see it even up close. She'll think you have dense hair, though flat.

CCS

Reaction score
it helps if it matches your hair color. better to be a few shades too light than too dark. mine is a shade too dark, but still looks good. I just use less to compensate.

G

30 minutes?

When I was using Toppik it took me a minute and a half. Sounds like Dermmatch isn't very convenient.

s.a.f

Reaction score
That includes washing his hair aswell.

G

s.a.f said:

still. 30 minutes? i could wash my hair in a couple minutes, dry it in a couple, and do toppik in like 6-7 minutes total. 30 minutes is ridiculous. that's something that i would get very tired of.

sounds like comparing rogaine foam to liquid minoxidil.

The Dangerman

Established Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
s.a.f said:

still. 30 minutes? i could wash my hair in a couple minutes, dry it in a couple, and do toppik in like 6-7 minutes total. 30 minutes is ridiculous. that's something that i would get very tired of.

sounds like comparing rogaine foam to liquid minoxidil.

Yes that does include washing my hair - twice - using Nizoral for the 2nd time, which is 6 minutes in itself. That also includes the time it takes for Dermmatch to dry. The actually application probably only takes 5 mins or so. But I still say I need a good 30 mins including washing hair, and to allow Derm to dry. I'm also a perfectionist, so I make sure it's spot on before leaving the house.

If I use the right amount it does not come off on my hands when touching it. To make sure, I will gently run my hands in a forward motion(the way it is brushed) in which some excess may come off. Once no more is coming off I'll wash my hands and I'm done.

The 30 mins is not "dead" time though. I use it clean my teeth and shave as well. Dermmatch seems like a hassle, but you soon get good at it. You could probably do it quicker, but I don't rush when I'm getting ready. The results are worth it as well. I didn't like Toppik. You can also style your hair much much easier with Dermmatch in my opinion.

Anyway, I don't care, I have hair! Well, you know, at least an illusion of hair :lol:

Will post some pics tomorrow hopefully if I get time.

s.a.f

Reaction score
30mins is a small sacrifice to have hair for the rest of the day.

G

s.a.f said:

But Toppik gives good results imo and you don't have to wait for it to dry because it isn't a wet thing. Oh well. if he wants to do that and it works for him, cool.

The Dangerman

Established Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
But Toppik gives good results imo and you don't have to wait for it to dry because it isn't a wet thing. Oh well. if he wants to do that and it works for him, cool.

Toppik was "okay" although a little iffy at the hairline even with the spray pump thing(which packed up after literally 5mins).

It's telling that the blurb you get with Toppik says it's okay in "normal rain". What about a heavy downpour that we get a lot in the UK?

Anyway, it's horses for courses - I'm delighted with the way it looks and application can be easily fit around my bathroom schedule. But whatever works for anyone else is good too.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
I dont have 30 mins a day for my hair.

I work in the finance industry, I barely get enough sleep.

The Dangerman

Established Member
Reaction score
How many more times?

It's not 30 mins a day, It's 30 mins every 2-3 days depending on how often you want to wash your hair.

It's not 30 mins of dead time it probably an extra 10 mins to your bathroom routine but in my opinion you need to allow it to dry to get a good look and this can take upto 30 mins.

Perhaps you need to look at your work/life balance?

CCS

Reaction score
JayMan said:
s.a.f said:

can women run their hands through your topik hair and not get or feel any fibers on their hands?

I put my dermmatch on in 2 minutes. It is vital not to rub the brush into, or wipe it hard on your head. Just dab. Less is more. People will see it if you use it too thick. Well, maybe not if you have a perfect color match, though.

G

collegechemistrystudent said:
can women run their hands through your topik hair and not get or feel any fibers on their hands?

I put my dermmatch on in 2 minutes. It is vital not to rub the brush into, or wipe it hard on your head. Just dab. Less is more. People will see it if you use it too thick. Well, maybe not if you have a perfect color match, though.

well i dont use it anymore but when i did, no i dont imagine they could without getting it on their hands, because when i touched my hand to my hair i got fibers on it.

CCS

Reaction score
JayMan said:
collegechemistrystudent said:

well i dont use it anymore but when i did, no i dont imagine they could without getting it on their hands, because when i touched my hand to my hair i got fibers on it.

well I can't feel the dermmatch at all when I run my fingers through my hair or drag them across my scalp. I have to really scratch my scalp to get a little bit of brown tint on my finger tips. It stays on just fine if I work up a sweat at the gym. I apply it in 2 minutes, not perfectly, but very good. I can definitely get it perfect in 5 or 10 minutes. Granted I'm only doing the front 1 inch of my hair. A NW5 would have to work a lot longer. I told my friend I was wearing it. He had no idea and could not tell. Good bye thin spots.

G

i think toppik is better for diffusers personally, but maybe you disagree. i feel like toppik was actually made for diffusers because ive always had a good hairline so when i used to use toppik, id just sprinkle it in the thinning areas and voila, full head of hair.

The Dangerman

Established Member
Reaction score
Picture time folks!

Before

Before.jpg

After

After.jpg

As you can see, some very bad diffuse thinning. Granted the 1st pic was when my hair was damp and so does make it worse.

I've styled it more now than on the second pic, but I wanted a like for like picture. Im happy with it anyway!

kar343

Reaction score
SEXY..what a transformation!!..the only thing is it does take a lot of time to apply..r u applying it with a wet applicator?

The Dangerman

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah with a wet application, I think thats the only way you can do it. Application isn't the quickest, but as said, you if you can fit it around other bathroom activities it's not bad at all.