Dermmatch + Caboki Application W/ Pictures

Lost Boy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I only use the conditioner, not the shampoo. For shampoo I use head and shoulders to wash scalp and then garnier honey infused because I like how it makes my hair feel. After that I use the conditioner. By itself the conditioner does minimal, with a blow dryer the conditioner seems to make a difference. I use another product for a heat protectant, since I sometimes will use an iron or brush straightener on hair and beard.

May I ask what you use for a heat protectant?

Also if I may, I'd like to run my routine by you if I decide to grow my hair out again.
Come out shower
Pat hair until damp as usual
Apply Dermmatch as usual
Put in leave in conditioner
Put in heat protectant
Blow dry
Apply Caboki
I feel like that'd just be too much to deal with? Thinking maybe skipping the blow drying and heat protectant? But that'd probably leave it flat. Idk maybe the short hair is better for me. Let me know what you think bro, thank you!

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
May I ask what you use for a heat protectant?

Also if I may, I'd like to run my routine by you if I decide to grow my hair out again.
Come out shower
Pat hair until damp as usual
Apply Dermmatch as usual
Put in leave in conditioner
Put in heat protectant
Blow dry
Apply Caboki
I feel like that'd just be too much to deal with? Thinking maybe skipping the blow drying and heat protectant? But that'd probably leave it flat. Idk maybe the short hair is better for me. Let me know what you think bro, thank you!

For heat protectant I use L'Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle SLEEK IT Iron Straight Hairspray.

I wouldn't do the leave in conditioner same day as initial dermmatch application. I only used a dry conditioner if I was leaving my hair with concealers in for a 3rd consecutive day. If only blowdrying then I would just use lower heat and no protectant. I only use it on days when I'm using my straight iron and/or heated brush. Iron goes to 450, brush goes to 360.

My hair is pretty long at this point, about to the bottom of my ears. I'm seeing if I can get my hair to shoulder length and still looking real with concealers.

Lost Boy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For heat protectant I use L'Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle SLEEK IT Iron Straight Hairspray.

I wouldn't do the leave in conditioner same day as initial dermmatch application. I only used a dry conditioner if I was leaving my hair with concealers in for a 3rd consecutive day. If only blowdrying then I would just use lower heat and no protectant. I only use it on days when I'm using my straight iron and/or heated brush. Iron goes to 450, brush goes to 360.

My hair is pretty long at this point, about to the bottom of my ears. I'm seeing if I can get my hair to shoulder length and still looking real with concealers.

Hm yeah I might do that. Thinking of just keeping it relatively short tho just to keep things simpler.
I think you can definitely pull it off bro, you've got this whole routine down just let it grow. Thanks for all your help man, you got no idea how much i appreciate it. Much love.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
OP why would you not look into a transplant to help make this procedure easier? Do you feel your hair loss has stabilized?

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
OP why would you not look into a transplant to help make this procedure easier? Do you feel your hair loss has stabilized?

It seems like it has been very stable. If I was able to go down the street and get a DHI treatment for the same cost as India I'd likely do it, but in America the only option is over priced FUE by inexperienced people. It would cost around $20k to $25k USD for a gamble.

I'm about the finish my master's degree in 2 weeks and will have time off for recovery before I go back into the work force, so I've honestly considered making the trip since it would be under $6,000 with all expenses included. The main hold back is not having a passport. I had a government passport, but never a civilian passport, and getting a passport takes several months currently due to COVID.

Last edited:

whatintheworld

Reaction score
It seems like it has been very stable. If I was able to go down the street and get a DHI treatment for the same cost as India I'd likely do it, but in America the only option is over priced FUE by inexperienced people. It would cost around $20k to $25k USD for a gamble.

I'm about the finish my master's degree in 2 weeks and will have time off for recovery before I go back into the work force, so I've honestly considered making the trip since it would be under $6,000 with all expenses included. The main hold back is not having a passport. I had a government passport, but never a civilian passport, and getting a passport takes several months currently due to COVID.

I agree America seems quite overpriced, Europe has quite excellent surgeons from what I can see for much more accommodating prices, that is what I am looking into. See Belgium, Spain, etc.

Then again this isn't a procedure you really want to skimp on price, but I don't think that top FUE surgeons are in the USA anyway so it's not like it matters. More and more from what Im reading is that FUT is getting faded away and isn't the gold standard that many asserted. But of course this all comes down to the skill of the surgeon in the end.

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree America seems quite overpriced, Europe has quite excellent surgeons from what I can see for much more accommodating prices, that is what I am looking into. See Belgium, Spain, etc.

Then again this isn't a procedure you really want to skimp on price, but I don't think that top FUE surgeons are in the USA anyway so it's not like it matters. More and more from what Im reading is that FUT is getting faded away and isn't the gold standard that many asserted. But of course this all comes down to the skill of the surgeon in the end.

Yea, DHI is the gold standard now. In Delhi it would be around $5k for what I need, very reasonable.

F.Coronilla

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
is there a difrence caboki with toppik? and also, can you swim? just put 5 second the head in the water
thnks

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is after a hard day on my hair. I only used dermmatch today.

Went to Universal in Orlando. Rode all 3 water rides... got completely soaked on all of them. I was then out in the rain for about 30 minutes. Then rode a few of the simulator rides and finished with the Hulk. Still looks passable. The back is the only part I'd have to redo... but it is likely fixable with just combing. I didn't want to touch it up at all because I wanted you guys to be able to see it at its worst.

All of these pictures were taken under very harsh lighting. I use harsh lighting when applying because if I get it looking good under worst case scenario lighting then I know I'm good in normal "soft" lighting and outside.

Attachments

• 1592101465879830598033549205628.jpg
    1592101465879830598033549205628.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 440
  • 15921014972844342816724454233055.jpg
    15921014972844342816724454233055.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 439
  • 15921015176734547861064662412618.jpg
    15921015176734547861064662412618.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
is there a difrence caboki with toppik? and also, can you swim? just put 5 second the head in the water
thnks

From my experience, toppik is more powdery. At the crown there will be a negligible in terms of appearance. I've had toppik run down my forehead on 2 occasions within a month of using it. I've never had that problem with caboki. Neither will look good alone when wet. You shouldn't use just fibers unless you are expecting to only be in optimal situations... otherwise you need something waterproof like dermmatch.

Personally, I'd use only dermmatch rather than only fibers any day of the week if it was 1 or the other.

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
From my experience, toppik is more powdery. At the crown there will be a negligible in terms of appearance. I've had toppik run down my forehead on 2 occasions within a month of using it. I've never had that problem with caboki. Neither will look good alone when wet. You shouldn't use just fibers unless you are expecting to only be in optimal situations... otherwise you need something waterproof like dermmatch.

Personally, I'd use only dermmatch rather than only fibers any day of the week if it was 1 or the other.
Isn’t Dermmatch more of a scalp concealer and doesn’t build hair like fibers?

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Isn’t Dermmatch more of a scalp concealer and doesn’t build hair like fibers?

It can be used both ways. When you put it on dry or only use a minimal amount of water, it will coat the hair and thicken it up. Areas where I have some cover, like my front, I can apply it dry, comb it, and it looks completely full. Areas where I struggle the most, mostly a spot just forward of my crown, if I use dermmatch alone it looks very off. Some styling can fix it, but then if the wind undoes my styling it will look weird: I spply it wet in that area.

I like caboki, but in my opinion dermmatch is much more versatile. I used only caboki in the past and it looked really good and natural, but I was always afraid of rain. Everyday heavy winds never messed it up, but I wouldn't feel confident on a rollercoaster. I use caboki mostly as a finishing touch and for touch ups to dermmatch. Because a bottle of caboki lasts me 5 to 6 months, I don't mind paying for the more expensive product; I've had toppik get destroyed by moderate wind and run down my forehead from just sweat.

F.Coronilla

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It can be used both ways. When you put it on dry or only use a minimal amount of water, it will coat the hair and thicken it up. Areas where I have some cover, like my front, I can apply it dry, comb it, and it looks completely full. Areas where I struggle the most, mostly a spot just forward of my crown, if I use dermmatch alone it looks very off. Some styling can fix it, but then if the wind undoes my styling it will look weird: I spply it wet in that area.

I like caboki, but in my opinion dermmatch is much more versatile. I used only caboki in the past and it looked really good and natural, but I was always afraid of rain. Everyday heavy winds never messed it up, but I wouldn't feel confident on a rollercoaster. I use caboki mostly as a finishing touch and for touch ups to dermmatch. Because a bottle of caboki lasts me 5 to 6 months, I don't mind paying for the more expensive product; I've had toppik get destroyed by moderate wind and run down my forehead from just sweat.

first really thanks you for your explication, well my hair loss its prretty similar to you,

just one question, i also cut my hair my self and i am letting it grow longer,
can you explain me how you cut it to archieve that look?
since with the hair loss been in the center its hard, also hidden the crown
well let me know at the mment i think going from left to right longer to small
trying to explain it in a paint photo

let me know thanks

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 257

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
first really thanks you for your explication, well my hair loss its prretty similar to you,

just one question, i also cut my hair my self and i am letting it grow longer,
can you explain me how you cut it to archieve that look?
since with the hair loss been in the center its hard, also hidden the crown
well let me know at the mment i think going from left to right longer to small
trying to explain it in a paint photo

let me know thanks

Yup, your picture is what you want to aim for with just minor adjustments.

If the short side is too short then it will look like a comb over. Same with long side being too long. You want the long side to just be long enough to barely reach where your hair is good again. You also want to pretty much let the middle grow out as long as it'll get and then on the side you'll even it up with the long left side. When you comb for your part you want to work right to left. Basically, you comb left to right, but you do it in small sections, working right to left. This helps get all the small hairs to help with coverage and avoid the stringy look of a comb over.

I don't do the short style any more. If I part my hair in the middle both sides go to the bottom of my ears. Because my middle is my bad spot, I part my hair just off center a bit to the left. I have found it much easier to hide and blend with longer hair than with short.

F.Coronilla

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

If the short side is too short then it will look like a comb over. Same with long side being too long. You want the long side to just be long enough to barely reach where your hair is good again. You also want to pretty much let the middle grow out as long as it'll get and then on the side you'll even it up with the long left side. When you comb for your part you want to work right to left. Basically, you comb left to right, but you do it in small sections, working right to left. This helps get all the small hairs to help with coverage and avoid the stringy look of a comb over.

I don't do the short style any more. If I part my hair in the middle both sides go to the bottom of my ears. Because my middle is my bad spot, I part my hair just off center a bit to the left. I have found it much easier to hide and blend with longer hair than with short.

thanks for the reply, i still dont have the long enought but thanks for the advice, when its done i will put a pic
thanks again

F.Coronilla

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Hello again, sorry to keep asking, English is not my best, I wanted to know when you have time if you could explain it to me very detailed how the cut is, as you know the hair takes time to grow and I really do not want it to go wrong, well thank you very much

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello again, sorry to keep asking, English is not my best, I wanted to know when you have time if you could explain it to me very detailed how the cut is, as you know the hair takes time to grow and I really do not want it to go wrong, well thank you very much

I usually cut back and sides to 1 inch, since it adds the longest guard I had. I would have went with 1.5 inches if I had a longer guard. I trimmed the hair being combed over to about 3 inches. I slightly faded with scissors the other side where the combed over hair lands so it blended more.

It is actually a pretty difficult haircut to do right, just take your time. It use to take me about an hour to get right. After having experience I can do it within 20 minutes.

Now I just grow it out, the longer it us the more natural it looks.

When doing the side part, you want to do the part pretty much by squaring off the side of your head. If you part it too low it will look bad. Parting it too high is better than too low, but try to just square it off with where your head naturally transitions.

When combed down to the side, the hair would usually go about an inch from ears on the longer side.

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was unaware of applying dermmatch dry, I will try that. Thanks!

F.Coronilla

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello bro, your post is really the best i have found in this forum,
do you have any hair spray recomendation? for styling and archieving that look,
a if work for hair loss better,
i send you a private
best regards

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello bro, your post is really the best i have found in this forum,
do you have any hair spray recomendation? for styling and archieving that look,
a if work for hair loss better,
i send you a private
best regards

I used Jason thin to thick hairspray for a while. Smells good and holds for the day. I've also used tigi bedhead. It lasts a little longer and is easier to work with. I mostly use the Jason stuff if I'm expecting my hair to stay dry, and the tigi stuff if I'm expecting it to get wet. Both work fine wet, but jason feels kinda greasy after it gets wet.