Dermatch users

conehead

Reaction score
Have any of you been busted using this product? For those of you that see a metallic blue color what color do you use? Mine came in today and I went straight to the instructions and then to applying it.All I can say was that it was depressing due to seeing myself with the my new hair and remembering when it really was my hair. I have not perfected the technique though,but I'm very impressed with this product.That is why I am curious if any of you have been busted,under normal circumstances?

My main problem is that I have noticably thin hair so anyone who knows me will catch that there is something a miss.What I need to do is slowly bring in it.If I go out this weekend using it and look like I have a full head of hair people who know me at the club will catch on.I'm hoping that I'm a VERY good responder to Propecia.Been 4 months on it and nizoral with nothing to report good or bad

Last question.Some of the clubs I frequent use the old 80's era black lights.We all know how many white specks and what not we see on our black clothes under this type of lighting.Is there anything in Dermatch that would make it stand out under this these conditions?

Thanks for the replies.I will say that anyone looking for some type of concealer should give this a try.I'm using the Dark Brown and it seems to blend in well,but it's really hard for one to judge ones self

splint

Reaction score
Been using dermatch for a few months now, only when I got out really. Dont like having stuff in my hair most of the time and usually where my cap. Havent been busted yet, had people close up hovering around me during the day, theres one b**ch who just loves to touch my hair.. thought that would get me busted for sure but thankfully my wax kept it locked to my hair. Soon as I in a club it quite dark and I dont have a worry at all, never used it in one of those UV light places..80's aint my thing :p although I cant see it standing out in that sort of lighting. Bars usually have bright lights that love shining down on your head, again nobody said anything.

I have jet black hair and black dermatch fits in well, when it dry it looks a bit wierd, like a dull black colour, but soon as the wax is in it fine. Havent tested its hold in rain, slight drizzle is fine, if it starts really pissing it down then could be in trouble, although again if it got wax in, it should lock it in place. Quite supprising that I havent experienced that seeing as in UK it rains all the damn time. Dont get me started on swimming, aint no way I'm risking that sh*t, as good as it may be!

PJ

Reaction score
Sorry if this question has been asked ad nauseum but what is dermatch and how is it applied?
Just started using toppik a couple of days ago and found it incredible. can I use dermatch along with Toppik?
Thanks.

Vinton Harper

Established Member
Reaction score
PJ said:
Sorry if this question has been asked ad nauseum but what is dermatch and how is it applied?
It's a powdered concealer that comes in a little disk and looks like makeup, which is basically what it is. You put it on with these spongey applicators. You can learn more about all that here:http://www.dermmatch.com

PJ said:
Just started using toppik a couple of days ago and found it incredible. can I use dermatch along with Toppik?
Thanks.
That's actually preferable. I use Dermmatch and also use Hairsoreal(which is like Toppik if you didn't know) on my crown area, mainly because I can notice the Dermmatch there because the hair is more sparse. But I put on the Hairsoreal and it works like a charm and looks great!

Mikeman

Reaction score
PJ....I started out using toppik, found it incredible also..but what I found was that the next day when I woke up, it would be coming off so there would be no way to wear it more than 1 day(also the thing is expensive). Then I tried Dermmatch and noticed it really stays on well. I find the best thing to do is to combine the two. This is how I do it:

With applying Dermmatch, I have found the amount of water and amount of dermmatch product you get on the applicator are crucial to getting the right result...you don't want too much water, and you don't want not enough product or you will not get a dark enough application on your scalp.

What I do is set the faucet on so that its dripping a droplett of water every so often. I let a drop fall on the applicator, then rub the applicator in the dermmatch on both sides, making sure to push down on the dermmatch with a good deal of pressure so that I get a good amount of product on the brush. I then apply the brush to a small portion of the balding area on my hair and scalp. the MOST important thing is to get some good scalp coverage, so I apply it in somewhat circular motions to make sure it gets on and covers up the scalp. Once you've done a small area, you let another droplett fall on the applicator and rub it in the dermmatch and repeat...

Also, I've found a good way to conceal the frontal hairline with dermmatch...You apply it to the frontal hairline in the same way, making sure you get a nice dark application of the dermmatch to your scalp near your hairline. It doesn't matter if your hair looks like a total mess and the dermmatch looks blatantly obvious when you're done all this. What you do is wait about 1/2 hour for it to dry...THEN go back to it and brush your hair out. You'll find that as you brush, it will immediately look better. Now about the hairline...you brush your hair, then when you're done, there will be a huge black mess(or whatever color you use) on your hairline and forehead...what you do is take water and soap and scrub it off your forehead, around your hairline. Then you take a towel to it, and rub your forehead up to your hairline, and use the towel to shape the dried dermmatch along your hairline. Doing this results in a pretty decent hairline coverage for me.

Then, for any other areas I want to look more full, or don't seem to be covered enough by the dermmatch, I sprinkle a little bit of toppik over.

Since Dermmatch is so cheap compared to toppik, I find this approach not only looks the best, and stays on the best, but it is the most economical..

-Mike

PJ

Reaction score
Thanks Mike.

I'll definitely give Dermatch a try. If its anyway as good as I've heard I should be impressed.

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
conehead said:
Have any of you been busted using this product?

Yes on a girlfriends beige pillow case the next morning.

Suffice to say I was out of there ASAFP.

Chicano

Reaction score
One more question.

I want to give dermatch a try. I would like to use it in the hairline and temples and I rather use Toppik for the rest of the thinning area in the mid-scalp and crown. My question is...is there anyway that I can apply Dermatch without water in the applicator??? The thing is that I want a natural look in the front line and also I wouldnt like to wet my hair...because it would take me more time to do the whole procedure.

DaveA

Reaction score
I use Derm sparingly (a few times a week at best) and don't worry about 'being busted'. My hair isn't all that thin and depending on how I brush it, it can be difficult to tell I'm thinning even w/o Derm. As for coloring, my hair is a dirty brown color anyway - I was blonde as a child and still have some highlights. I've tried light brown and med. brown and believe I will stick with med brown.

I'm surprised about the pillow comments (have seen those before). I've slept with Derm in my here on multiple occasions and have never had problems. It's funny, because the first time I had it in and slept over a woman's house (in her bed), I woke up in the middle of the night and checked the pillow!!! :)

Basketballhead

Established Member
Reaction score
haha Dave thats so funny Im in college so im always in and out of different girls rooms and I always make it a point to try to sleep on a pilliow thats a dark color or even sleep on my t-shirt as a pillow Bottom line is i use dermmatch and prothik with ridiculously great results

Chicano

Reaction score
But....when you apply it directly in the front-line, Do you have to moisture the applicator with water?? can you obtain good results gettin rid of that??

I have asked this before but never had any reply...hope you all could help!!! I would like to try dermatch but this question is my main concern..

Thanks!!!!

Basketballhead

Established Member
Reaction score
My procedure is this (top secret stuff) When my hair is damp i part it in the middle...i get the applicator very wet then rub in the container and start at the very back of my head and go from side to side...as i move closer to the front i use less water and gradually shade it in...then i comb it through and blow dry....then i spray on prothik and then style my hair...it comes out great however if you have substantial recession of the hair line than this procedure prob wont be very effective but if you have a decent amount of hair or diffuse thinning this combination is a godsend good luck

Chicano

Reaction score
Thank you dude!!!

Ill try with less water for the front-line. But for the rest of areas I´ll´stick to Toppik since is faster to apply...

pleasehelpme

Established Member
Reaction score
DERMATCH APPLICATION PROCESS

dermatch is by far one of the greatest temporary solutions for hairloss.

i was a newbie at using this product but after about having it for 4-5 months, i've became very good at using the product.

here's a THOROUGH step by step procedure for applying dermatch and then cleaning up the mess that it makes!

first of all i'd like to thank Buffboy who taught me how to apply dermatch!

OKAY first you need your dermatch, the applicator, a disposable cup that is pretty sturdy, either drinking or distilled water. you could use your sink water but if your town has hard water, the results won't be as good, a brush, and some toilet paper.

OH AND DRY HAIR! also apply the dermatch without a shirt on as it may splatter onto your clothes.

APPLYING DERMATCH

1. fill your cup with water until it is around 1/6 of the way full.

2. wet your applicator and then shake off the excess water (one or two shakes! you don't want to take out all of the water)

3. place the applicator in the dermatch and start to make circular motions in the dermatch slightly pressing down with the applicator until the disk of dermatch becomes dry.

4. when the applicator is fully covered with dermatch, take a piece of toilet paper and pat the applicator on it removing most of the dermatch.

5. dip the applicator inside the cup of water again and stir it around.

6. shake off the excess water in the sink (AGAIN ONE OR TWO SHAKES)

7. now repeat step 3.

8. start slightly behind your hairline incase you mess up. apply it as if you were trying to paint your head from the hairline back. apply in straight lines.

9. repeat steps 2 and 3 every time it is needed.

TO MAKE SURE THAT IT IS WORKING WELL, YOUR HAIR SHOULD NOW HAVE A SLIGHTLY WET LOOK FROM THE WATER+DERMATCH.

10. now take another piece of tissue/toilet paper and pat it around your head. keep on doing this for a few seconds. this is done to remove the excess dermatch.

11. now take a brush and brush through from the hairline back once again in striaght lines. brush slowly and carefully as your hair might get caught in the brush and it might be yanked out.

12. after brushing all around, take another piece of toilet paper and pat it all around your head, removing the excess dermatch.

TO MAKE SURE THE EXCESS DERMATCH IS OFF, take your hand and brush it through your hair once. if dark black stains are on your hand, repeat the toilet paper process. you shouldn't see much other than maybe slight specks of colored powder.

APPLYING STYLING PRODUCT

13. now apply a styling product. I PERSONALLY use garnier fructis "surf hair" mold and i have found that it works great with dermatch.

14. after applying a sufficient amount of styling product, style your hair with your fingers and kind of mold/mess your hair a bit.

CLEANING

okay if this is your first time using it, unless you are naturally skilled in applying dermatch, your forehead and sink should be a f*****g mess! here's an easy way to clean off the powder.

15. NOW GET A Q-TIP, TOILET PAPER, and ASTRINGENT or RUBBING ALCOHOL IF YOU DON'T HAVE ASTRINGENT at home.

16. take the toilet paper and put a small amount astringent or rubbing alcohol on it. take the bottle, cover the top with toilet paper, and flip it upside down for 1 second.

17. start cleaning your face first. it is okay if you wipe directly on your hairline, the dermatch will still say on! repeat.

18. now most of the dermatch should be off but along your hairline, there still probably is some leftover stains.

19. grab the q-tip and dip it into the astringent or rubbing alcohol. start cleaning away at your hairline and once again it is okay if it occasionaly gets on your hairline.

20. after your face is completely clean, take a piece of toilet paper and pad your hairline which is probably slightly damp from the astringent/rubbing alcohol.

21. grab a paper towel and windex or any other glass surface cleaner.

22. spray 3-4 sprays of the cleaner onto the paper towel folded 4 times into a square.

23. clean off every surface (ie: sink, mirror, tiles on the wall...) that have the dermatch residue on it. repeat.

24. take a dry paper towel and dry off the areas.

25. now take the cup of water, which is now the color of your dermatch, and slowly pour out all of the water into your toilet. don't forget to remove the applicator and try it off with some toilet paper.

26. flush and place the applicator back into the cup. put it in a safe area, i put it on top or under the toilet.

NOW PUT ON A SHIRT BUT BE CARFUL NOT TO PUT IT ON ROUGHLY BECUASE IF IT RUBS ON YOUR HEAD SOME OF THE DERMATCH WILL GET ON YOUR SHIRT.

i suggest that you put on the shirt up to your arms, and then stretch out the neck opening and then carefully place it on over your head.

with a bit of practice you will become an expert at using this.

hope that this helped. peace

pleasegodno

Established Member
Reaction score
are you a diffuse thinner doing this with short hair (1/2-1 inch)? think it'd work for a *very* diffuse overall thinner with such length?

pleasehelpme

Established Member
Reaction score
yes i have diffuse thinning... hope this sh*t gets back to normal soon... anyway dermatch works FINE for me. good luck

pleasegodno

Established Member
Reaction score
but how short can your hair be for this to work? and is your diffuseness really bad?

pleasehelpme

Established Member
Reaction score
if it's 1/2 an inch or more, you should have no problem using it... my level of diffuseness isn't extremely bad as in where my entire scalp shows through, but it does show through in some areas.