Dermatch first time using...(PICS)

Reaction score
So I use Toppik but decided to try dermatch. This is my first time using it and really don't like the way it looked? Having a hard time with the hairline. With toppik I would "sprinkle" lightly and it would look natural.

Let me know what you think? I think I will do dermatch and then toppik on top to make it blend more.

These are pic before.

000_0090_0001.jpg

100_2487.jpg

After using Dermatch.

100_2476.jpg

100_2477.jpg

100_2480.jpg

1PunchBob

Reaction score
thininhbigtime..... I am quite new to this site and have read quite alot on different forums. I am on quarter pills of fincar daily and minoxidil twice daily and revivogen on the odd day here and there. Could you tell me more about this dermatch and toppick you have used cos the difference in the pics is really aparent and i am not sure how or why that has happened. So if you could help me out on this and maybe give me abit of advise or infomation i would be grateful. Cheers mate

Thin Jim

Reaction score
Hey ThinningBigTime

Im not trying to be mean but to me it is really obvious that you are using Dermmatch. I myself use it but only at the front where I am thinning. I have a kinda combforward ceasar style and apply it around 1/2 and inch behind my exisiting hairline. In my opinion this is the only hairstyle you can really use with it cause any style that shows the hairline will just look too obvious. Reason being is that when any kind of bright light hits your head people will be able to see through to you scalp and see that you have painted it black (it just doesnt look natural).

The problem also is that even with people who are not losing their hair you can see still their scalp when a lights on it, and with Dermmatch their is no pinkness visible.

I have almost been busted at work a couple of times with people saying "what have you done to your hair" and im around a norwood 2-3, so you really need to have quite a bit of existing hair for it to work. It is not that i use too much either cause my first disk lasted over a year.

My advice is to go back to using toppik cause I think that will look a lot more natural. If you could post some comparison pics that would be good. If your gonna keep using Dermmatch maybe just try coating your exisiting hairs with it to thicken it up and not apply any on your scalp, and then apply the Toppik (use a combo).

s.a.f

Reaction score
Thinningbigtime,
A quick tip mate, I use derm aswell and have found the applicators supplied to be not much good. Try appling it with a mascara brush it just thickens the hair and does'nt smudge as much on your scalp. Also be carefull no to use too dark a colour as this makes it obvious. I've also heard the "have you dyed your hair or something" line at work. You can mix different shades of dermatch to find the most natural looking colour. Good luck with it mate.

nervx

Established Member
Reaction score
do you have any pics of what toppik looks like in you hair to compare?

that dermatch looks like sh*t. anywhere there's some decent lighting i imagine people would notice... looks like there's dirt on your hair/scalp.

personally i'd shave it off but that's just me...

Reaction score
Crap! I really wanted it to look more natural. Toppik is getting expensive. I
use quite a bit and you cant get wet! Anyway, I did order Duta yesterday so hope to get on that daily and I will be going and buying nizorol 1% today! I use minoxidil 5% daily once a day. I don't use it in the morning cause I don't like the way it leaves my hair.

Here are a couple with toppik.

000_0092.jpg

000_0099.jpg

Thin Jim

Reaction score
yeah I think Nervx is right mate. I didnt want to say it but I think you are at the stage where you pretty much have to decide whether to shave it off or look into getting a hairpiece. If you want a full looking head of hair then I dont think transplants would be a good idea.

Personally I myself have been thinking about getting a hairpiece. It would put an end to all my worries at the moment. I have seen some amazing results and todays pieces are pretty much undetectable (much less than Dermmatch anyway. Check out http://www.toplace.com and see what you think. There are a lot of negative comments that are posted here about pieces, but I think they are unjust. You could start off with a thin density and gradually work you way up. Then when people ask you could tell them finasteride grew back your hair.

Maybe your hair looks better with Toppik, but to save your embaressment I really wouldnt go out with Dermmatch in.

I see you are not on any meds. Maybe give finasteride a shot for 12 months. I have been on it for around 10 months and I think it has at least slowed down the loss.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thin Jim

Reaction score
I just seen your Toppik pics after my last reply and it looks much much better than Dermmatch.

Reaction score
well I have thought about shaving it all off in the past but I have never had it shaved before and really don't know how i'll look and well just scared to do it.

I looked at topplace and they look really realistic. Only concern is I will be getting on some meds (dutas) and hope it grows out some more to minimize my hair loss!

Anyway, I will try to just coat the hairs with dermatch and use toppik? Expensive crap but oh well!

I will post pic with dermatch and toppik combined.

Reaction score
I just ordered Duta yesterday...I was thinking of getting finasteride. Does anyone use these two in combo?

I also use minoxidil 5% daily. Which has made a difference! There was a time that I stopped using it and my hair fell off...really bad!

Ray777

Reaction score
thiningbigtime said:
well I have thought about shaving it all off in the past but I have never had it shaved before and really don't know how i'll look and well just scared to do it.

I looked at topplace and they look really realistic. Only concern is I will be getting on some meds (dutas) and hope it grows out some more to minimize my hair loss!

Anyway, I will try to just coat the hairs with dermatch and use toppik? Expensive crap but oh well!

I will post pic with dermatch and toppik combined.
Hey this site may help you http://www.baldrus.com , it helped me feel better. Just shave it you'd be surprised how much better you may feel.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
thinningbigtime,
your hairloss has advanced to a stage where toppik or dermmatch won't work. The best you can do now is to cut your hairs on top with a #4 or #6 grade and buzz the sides and the back with #2 grade.

BTW, don't lose hope. Start dutasteride, minoxidil and prox-n or copper peptides. I had a hair transplant after a stage worser than yours. So once you stablize your loss, you can get better looking hair with hair transplants.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Dont put your hopes in the meds too much any regrowth is rare and will be very minimal if it happens. The meds are really to be used as a preventative measure against losing any more.
I agree with techprof. A good hair transplant (from a respected, top surgeon) will give you a much better look than anything else. I know some people dont like the idea but as a hair transplant patient myself I wholeheartedly recommend it, it's changed my life. Sure there are a few horror stories but the procedures have really improved in the last few years and the bad surgeons are being exposed thanks to sites like this one.
Hairpieces lok good but think about the cost of maintaining and replacing it for the rest of your life. Also hair transplant hair is your own hair and needs no special treatment.

nervx

Established Member
Reaction score
the toppik pics look a lot better but you can still tell a product was used. i stick by shaving it or at least buzzing it really short like jason stathams does.

G

Thin Jim said:
yeah I think Nervx is right mate. I didnt want to say it but I think you are at the stage where you pretty much have to decide whether to shave it off or look into getting a hairpiece. If you want a full looking head of hair then I dont think transplants would be a good idea.

Personally I myself have been thinking about getting a hairpiece. It would put an end to all my worries at the moment. I have seen some amazing results and todays pieces are pretty much undetectable (much less than Dermmatch anyway. Check out http://www.toplace.com and see what you think. There are a lot of negative comments that are posted here about pieces, but I think they are unjust. You could start off with a thin density and gradually work you way up. Then when people ask you could tell them finasteride grew back your hair.

Maybe your hair looks better with Toppik, but to save your embaressment I really wouldnt go out with Dermmatch in.

I see you are not on any meds. Maybe give finasteride a shot for 12 months. I have been on it for around 10 months and I think it has at least slowed down the loss.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last year I was really at the end of my tether with regards to seeing no results on treatments, so I ventured over to Toplace just to see and was impressed by the stories and pictures.

So I asked the owner if he could send me 2 samples - partial front pieces if possible. He agreed.

Anyway, a month later - I received the 2 furry "partial rats" in the post.

I never went back to the site.

Thiningbadly

Reaction score
Yeah, the toppik definately looks better.

I've been using toppik for over 3 years now. Can't leave the house without it.

I started off with the same diffuse thining as you.

I'm currently on rogaine and the lasercomb only. Adding Nizoral too.

I use a lot of toppik. I have a part in my hair but i don't use it there.

If you use the spray maximizer you can get some good results. Yeah, but you will never see your scalp again if you use a lot. And if you use too little. they'll seee it sitting on your scalp!

Maybe it's because i'm far past gone to use it. Anyways hope my regimen can keep what I have for a while.