Derm Appt didnt go well.. IM SO CONFUSED! please help...

browneyes

Reaction score
Had my first dermatologist appointment...I waited 4 months! So anyway, he did a pull test and said I have Telogen Effluvium (they all fell out! I wanted to punch him for pulling what I have left out!) :cry: , but said that I also have Androgenetic Alopecia because most of my thinning is at the top and on the sides. I have two thinning parents. Is it common to have both Telogen Effluvium and Androgenetic Alopecia? I went to a doctor and she told me I was anemic. My ferritin level is 16, I heard you have to keep it over 70 to grow back hair...so she prescribed an iron supplement. The derm prescribed Prednisone Tab 5mg, told me to buy some Biotin 200mg and Rogaine 5%. I read that if you have Telogen Effluvium your not supposed to use rogaine...but I also have Androgenetic Alopecia... I'm so confused! I thought rogaine 5% was only for men...? I'm 22 years old, female. Is this normal? If anyone can share what they have been using or give me advice on something else I can do to help the process along, I would really appreciate it.

Cassin

Reaction score
I think I can help with one part...............

I believe minoxidil 5% is for men for two reasons

1. Unwanted facial hair

2. It's not supposed to be good if you have a baby that is breastfeeding.

20something

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm a 27 year old male, and have a mild case of Telogen Effluvium, but also Androgenetic Alopecia according to my derm. I had major complications from a surgery back in August which resulted in severe blood loss and I spent a couple days in a hospital. I passed off my hair shedding as Telogen Effluvium, but then saw that the only noticable thinning I saw was in the temples and crown.

Androgenetic Alopecia in females usually starts in the 30s and is a more diffuse thinning than male pattern baldness (i.e. your hairline will remain in tact). It also has a much slower progression. But Telogen Effluvium can also kickstart Androgenetic Alopecia if you're suseptible to it, which is what I think happened in my case (none of the males in my family started thinning until their mid 30s).

Rogaine is a non-specific growth stimulant and should be helpful regardless, but keep in mind it can cause its own shed as well (initially telogen hairs can be shed). Rogaine (minoxidil) can be used for both sexes, unlike propecia.

You might want to wait 6 months and see if the hairs start to regrow on their own, and then determine if you're actually afflicted by Androgenetic Alopecia. Telogen Effluvium can take up to a year to resolve, assuming you address its causes and it's not chronic.

Check the Telogen Effluvium and treatment section of this site for more info. It's pretty comprehensive.

totaldispHAIR

Established Member
Reaction score
Browneyes, first off, calm down and take a deep breath. I know it's so easy to panic, but the stress *will not* help your hair loss situation. Your low ferritin level is an absolute flag, and low ferritin, especially as low as yours, can cause Telogen Effluvium. This is good news for you, and let me tell you why. As long as you start treating your deficiency, you have a very good chance of getting regrowth. Telogen Effluvium can be reversible if you remove the trigger that's causing your hair follicles to go into resting state.

Sometimes Telogen Effluvium can mimic Androgenetic Alopecia. That was the case with me. At first they thought I had Androgenetic Alopecia because I had a lot of hair loss on top of my head. But, I am starting to see some regrowth, even though the shedding hasn't stopped (in my opinion) in the shower. So, be patient and treat the iron deficiency first, because if you can take care of that problem, then you will be in a better position to assess if you have Telogen Effluvium and/or Androgenetic Alopecia.

You may want to hold off on using Rogaine and first work on your ferritin levels. This way, you will know if it's the low levels that are causing your hairloss. Once you either confirm or rule it out, then you can explore Rogaine as another option. If you move forward with Rogaine, it's okay too if that's what your derma told you to do. But, you won't know if the regrowth or lack of shedding is due to you raising your iron levels, or if it's due to the Rogaine. You need to decide which way you want to go based on this.

Good luck to you and calm down. I swear to you, stress makes the hair loss worse (I've experienced this personally), and you don't need to add to the vicious cycle. You're going to be okay, Telogen Effluvium is not a bad thing to have because you can recover from it, and you're also very lucky because most women don't get a positive test result that flags a deficiency that can be reversed. There are a lot of women out there who get all normal test results, and then they don't know what to do next. You have an inbalance that has been proven by medical science to cause hairloss, so now you can do something about it.

Be patient, it will take several months before you can see anything, but have faith that you're taking care of the trigger, and keep getting your levels tested until they come back to normal. Only then, will you be able to make an assessment about where you are at with your hair loss.

SadMom

Established Member
Reaction score
confused too

I'm confused also.... I've been losing hair for over a year since giving birth. Lost a lot at my temples and sides.... that has kind of come back in, but the density is really thin, and it never seems to grow in length (looks like 2-4 mo of regrowth, but it's been growing back for a year). I was also confused about whether I had Telogen Effluvium or Androgenetic Alopecia because I look thinnest on top, but seem to be thin everywhere too.

I have autoimmune and thyroid problems which could account for Telogen Effluvium, but also have some signs of excess androgens at work which would be Androgenetic Alopecia. I had a scalp biopsy done back in August, which said it was Androgenetic Alopecia. I understand that the biopsy is definitive.

But my hairdresser today said after combing and looking through it all that she believes it's equally thin all over, it just is more noticeable on top. And, that also, there are signs of regrowth in equal amounts all over.

Sadly, this little regrowth isn't nearly enough to rebuild my previous hair density. But if I have Androgenetic Alopecia, why would my hair be thin all over? Wouldn't that be more like Telogen Effluvium? Or, could I have both issues, but the biopsy only found Androgenetic Alopecia?

Once before, my shedding slowed way down, and I began seeing regrowth like now... and after a few months, I had a major shed and was worse off than before... so I'm afraid.

G

Sometimes I want to murder the person who invented the term "Telogen Effluvium". Technically any type of hair loss can be considered Telogen Effluvium if your definition of it is "shedding". Someone with Androgenetic Alopecia can say "I am experiencing Telogen Effluvium" if they are losing hair. Someone with Alopecia Universalis, at one point or another could say "I am experiencing Telogen Effluvium".

The real definition of Telogen Effluvium is defined as, in summary, shock fallout ... typically due to stress so extreme that your overall health was seriously affected, or due to things like crash dieting, medication induced, etc....

Someone just living life going about their day to day and starts to notice greater than normal hair loss, does not necessarily have Telogen Effluvium.

browneyes

Reaction score
Thanks for your support!

Thank you all for your response.

Well... I was thinking about waiting on the rogaine...BUT! My mom, dad, and younger brother (20) have really thin hair. So, I was thinking that if I started the rogaine now and it works for me I should just keep using it to keep the hair I have (but then I wouldn’t know which product is helping). I do see a couple new hairs on the top of my head (30 tiny babies sprouting up). Before the rogaine I was just taking iron supplements to treat my deficiency, so im guessing those few hairs are a result of my new iron supply even though its still pretty low.

I want to just keep using the iron and biotin, but im so scared that it will just get worse, so I might as well use the rogaine now…right? Seeing as I might be thinning in the future due to my family history. :(

Ive noticed that I got thin all over, but mainly on the top and sides. Maybe because of my ponytails? Have any of you that responded tried courve? I was thinking about trying it in the mean time. Hopefully my hair will grow back!

totaldispHAIR, is your hair growing back? I didn’t see minoxodil on your regime. Is your hair loss due to deficiency? When I went to the derma and told him I was anemic he didn’t pay too much attention to that. Ive read plenty of articles that say iron does have a great deal to do with hair loss and other doctors/dermas that say it has nothing to do with it.

I don’t think I have to courage to not use rogaine. stress is a factor that I try to push out of my life, especially now. But it’s a work in progress... I will be reading more into Telogen Effluvium...but if you have a family history of Androgenetic Alopecia, doesnt that mean its most likely that ill have it too? Thanks again to all of you!